• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Summer Question.....

luv2fish

Sorry to ask this question now, but I have to make a decision soon. I have had a 20' fishing pontoon on White Bear Lake the last few years. This year I live alot closer to the Croix, and am thinking of putting in a marina north of stillwater. My question is this, what type of fishing opportunities are there? I have read some stuff online, but would appreciate this groups opinions.

Little more background. I have been on the Croix a few times, but never fished it. I have 2 young sons I fish with (3 and 5), so bobber fishing is good for them. But I also take the guys out for a day of hardcore fishing (for that I am super excited about the smallie action). Not looking for spots at all, just general advice about fishing the Croix.

Thanks in advance all!

If I had to pick between the St. Croix or WBL I go with the river, no doubt. The Croix will offer you alot more action from many different species. If your not picky you can throw a crawler, minnow or leach on the bottom and your bound to get something and kids usually dont care what they catch as long as they're catching.

The Croix for sure. One of the best things is the vast amount of water you can explore, you really aren't boxed in. I have launched in Stillwater and cruised all the way down to Treasure Island for a little gambling, and fished the whole way there and back in a bunch of spots smile.gif. The only downfall is all of the BIG rigs that will rock the hell out of your 20 footer, but you can always go upriver and avoid all that stuff. Not only that, but there is a plethora of spots to beach your craft and do a little relaxing or grill up some chow.

I guess I should have mentioned the fishing tongue.gif- It all depends on what you are after. White Bear is excellent, but I would put the Croix above it any time. If nothing else, sheepshead will keep the kids busy, as well as white bass. Both are eager to bite, easy to find, and you can catch any number of different fish mixed in with them. There are some backwater and slackwater areas that you can try bobber fishing in all throughout the length of the river, and once again, you never know what will hit. One word of caution, just like any body of water, there are hazards you will encounter, just more of them out there. Any time you go off of the main channel, keep it slow and either use a trolling motor or trim your lower unit up as far as you can take it when working unfamiliar areas until you know the lay of the land under the water. Keep an extra prop on board. Also, this is a federally regulated waterway, so you will need to check the regulations regarding fire extinguishers, horns, lighting, and other safety regs. It is heavily patrolled, and you will be checked. Also, heed the no wake zones. When they say no wake, they mean it. I was barely making a ripple once and I got pulled over and warned to slow it down (I was barely moving as it was). Did I mention that you never know what you might catch? smirk.gif

Don't even try to fish south of Stillwater on a nice warm weekend day, you'll be very sea sick very soon with all the "Pleasureboaters" and of course those cazy cigar boats that are very loud and way too fast-not to mention the captain is usually drunk. that stretch of river is basically not fishable those days in a pontoon. crazy.gif

stay off the Croix... there aren't any fish anywhere on the river wink.gif certainly, you'll never see any walleye, sauger, crappies, perch, musky, pike, backwater panfish. and of course there aren't any channel cats, flatheads, sturgeon, sheephead, carp, quill-back carp suckers, etc...

I am pretty sure I will take the slip. I am excited to be north of Stillwater for the very reason of pleasure boaters south of that. I already have the family ready for weekday trips. But let's face it, WBL is no picnic on the nice weekends either. Not as big of boats, but rude people who think they own the lake and no respect for fisherman.

Everything I have read online though is about the area south of Stillwater..... Do people fish the 3 mile stretch north of still water to the point you cannot go any further?

I have to agree with StCroixNewB--- no fish what so ever, especially the one's he mentioned...... grin.gif...anyway it is a great spot...my goal is as much time fishing on the Croix before Memorial Day and after Labor Day. If I am in between those days, I am on the river as early as I can find a place to launch at and off by 10-11am (hangover's seem to start wearing off on those big-rigs)...enjoy this is a great site, also, just go back through the posts this past spring, summer, and fall.....

I have been enjoying reading all the old posts.... kind of getting me fired up.

FM is one of the best sites around, love the people. Since I will have the tooner on the water all the time, instead of fighting crowds for a parking spot you guys should come out with me. I supply the ride, you supply the river knowledge..... (ok, ok.... I will bring the beer too laugh.gif) Always willing to find new fishing pals..... laugh.gif

Wow---- sounds like an invitation....I am not the most knowledgeable on here for fishing areas, but always enjoy meeting new folks and exploring new areas

Quote:

stay off the Croix... there aren't any fish anywhere on the river
wink.gif
certainly, you'll never see any walleye, sauger, crappies, perch, musky, pike, backwater panfish. and of course there aren't any channel cats, flatheads, sturgeon, sheephead, carp, quill-back carp suckers, etc...

Oh yeah, I also forgot to mention that there are no bass whatsoever - no smallmouth or white especially but there are a few rock bass and 'bottle bass'! Wade, did I leave anything out?

May just have to take up the offer for a pontoon outing... might be fun but I'd stay out of the main traffic areas during the weekends... I have a hard enough time staying upright on my deep-V 18 footer - can't imaging how badly a 'toon would get tossed around...

The section of river from Stillwater north to the higbridge has alot of good fishing.Opening day there will be alot of folks fishing that section,and if the water is somewhat high its a good time to go up and check it out with a depthfinder.Pay close attention to your depths as you go so when the river drops you will know where you can go.Where are you gonna keep your pontoon ?The DNR sets up shop and wont let you go past the highbridge so you are somewhat limited that way.

We are going to keep it at Wolf's Marina. I am super excited too. Still have a few more outings on the hard stuff, but cannot wait for open water.

StCroixNewB, I think that nails it down, I forgot about the definitly no smallmouth's in that waterway, only those dang rock bass and once in a great while you can snag a bottle bass, but for those I use my massive daredevil and pull them off the yachts... grin.gifblush.gif anyway, and definitly no cat's or sturgeon either.....

Stratos--- I hear you, I am getting excited, the great thing about the Croix is you get a couple week start before the lakes open up for the eyes...

Alright you guys, cut it out! It's hard enough waiting for open H2O on the Croix but now you got me all worked-up! Won't be able to sleep tonight...thinking about those beautiful walleyes and sauger and smallies and crappies and sturgeon and catfish and sheephead...DOE!!!....DARN SHEEPIES!

Breeze grin.gif

April 28th.....right around the bend. At least the best ice fishing of the year is fast approaching. But there is still nothing quite like sitting in the boat.

Maybe once the season gets a tad closer us croix guys can maybe post a picture of our rowboats so we can maybe run into one another out there and say hi.. I think that this was maybe done last year at some point but I think a refresher course may be needed.... cool.gif

Cbreeze...please re-read the post there aren't any of those fish in the Croix! grin.gifgrin.gif

Stratos--- I agree put some boats to faces on the water this year for sure

Thanks for all the info guys, just made the call to the Marina and the deal is done. I wll be visiting the St. Croix forum more and more... Yesterday i spent too much time at work reading the old spring, summer, and fall posts. Wow, I am now excited....

And the open invitation I sent out before still stands, hope to see you all out there.

Quote:

Don't even try to fish south of Stillwater on a nice warm weekend day, you'll be very sea sick very soon with all the "Pleasureboaters" and of course those cazy cigar boats that are very loud and way too fast-not to mention the captain is usually drunk. that stretch of river is basically not fishable those days in a pontoon.
crazy.gif

Ya right, every ciger boat flying up and down the river is "drunk". Maybe you should have a beer and relax. Some of the best fishing is during the day on the weekends when all the pleasure boaters are out.

P.S. If you get sea sick on the St. Croix river, you should stay home.

Lots of replies to your question. I think a lot of guys are getting the itch to fire up there outboards. Nothing like the smell of gasoline in the morning...sipping your cup of joe as you strategize the days trip..but I digress.

I would choose the croix over WBL. I've been fishing the croix consistently for about 6-7 years? Boy the years go by fast. Anyhow. I've found the spring bite to be very productive. Just drifting from the railroad bridge south to the 94 bridge. Dress warm as those early May days can be brutal but the only people out are fisherman. Those big rigs don't get out usually until warmer temperatures. It's true that during the summer months the croix get's pretty hectic and yes the waves will rock your world. I guess it all depends on your temperment and tolerance for lots of other people.. Hot summer days will be busy and most of the ramps will be full. No doubt if you go out you will be witness to all sorts of folks who aren't too familiar with launching there rigs and not all people subscribe to common courtesy. Yup you get to see it all. I kind of enjoy it. But like I said it all depends on your temperment. Some fellas prefer to be off the river before that madness begins...Can't blame'em. It's something to behold. I once saw a fella forget to set his emergency break. His truck rolled right into the river and totally disappeared into the depths ( I did not enjoy being witness to that...but just an example of some of the things that can happen). The particular launch we were at caters to some pretty big rigs so the drop off is extreme and steep. WEll..now I'm just rambling. Suffice it to say I've got the itch. I can't WAIT to get the rig in the water. I'm looking forward to sharing stories and learning more about the river. Best of luck to all of you.

See ya in the spring....

I really Love fishing the Croix - Some of it has to do with the FM'rs and sharing info and using it to be a better fisherman.I learn allot from all these guys -We were talking about fishing time and family last fall and I have it figured out, Yes, the Croix can be miserable with wave makers starting in mid June but heres what I do to keep in good graces at home as well as fish just about every weekend. Ill launch at the bluffs at sunrise(it fills up about 9 on warm weekends), fish till 12:00 or till I get bounced out of there then Ill head back to the bluffS. Ill dock the boat,stash my gear in the truck and have the wife and kids waiting at the dock to hop in and we spend the rest of the day tubing or laying on the beach,Im the "best dad ever" and I still get lots of fishing in. havent heard from walley1 in a while. any word ?

eyesonly, that sounds like a heck of a plan...... Might have to work the early fishing, and then have the rest of the family join me.

I am so excited just to catch the variety of fish. My oldest son is 5 years old. 2 years ago on WBL, he was OK on the lake. Last year on Forest Lake, he was getting the hang of it. This year he actually asked me for a "daddy" fishing pole for his birthday (end of March). So now we spend time during the weekend looking for his "daddy" fishing pole.....

How many days until we can hit the water?

how many days? I know guys that are fishing this week down on Pool 4! I'm planning on heading down there next weekend for a tourney!! YOOOO HOOOO!!

Another question to add on since I have now made my decision. What type of line do most of you guys use? I know different line for different purposes, but I only can afford so many rods. What would be a good all-around line to use. Or if you could choose 2 different lines for 2 applications (Trolling and casting) what would they be.

Thanks for the responses fellas. I am already too excited for Feb. 20th....... Being 40 outside does not help either. grin.gifgrin.gif

Quote:

StCroixNewB--- lucky dog you....
mad.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Wade - if you're interested, send an email to me "CroixNewBee" at yahoo. I may need a partner if my current arrangments fall through...