Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Have_Fish_will_Travel

Not so good

14 posts in this topic

Fished all day Saturday 5.5 miles out of Hillmans and only caught one walleye. Will be back to avenge my loss. By the way, I am kind of a Red Lake rookie and am wondering who Jon and Kelly are? Everybody that catches their limit thanks Jon and Kelly. Do they run a resort?

yeah, they rent houses in the Hilman's road area. But even they will tell you, you need to move, move, move to find them on your own. Just get a good distance from other people though since crowding greatly diminishes your chances.

Kelly, Jon, and Patsy, own and operate Waskish Minnow Station, from which they run a permanent shack rental business in the winter. I know from personal experience that they do a wonderful job of putting people on fish, in clean, comfortable sleepers with more amenities than most on the lake. I know they still have a few openings mid-week later in the season. http://waskishminnowstation.com/

Jon also runs his own guiding business called Outdoors With Jonny-P, for just about everything that swims in Upper Red, especially trophy pike. If you're looking to get into some huge pike, give him a call before the season closes in a few weeks! Go to:

http://www.outdoorswithjonnyp.com/

Joel

Thanx for the info! Do they offer lake access too? They must be north of Hillman's right?

They go out of Hillmans access!!

Drill, look, and move if nothing is there. Jon and I try to check 10 to 15 places each every night over 2 to 3 miles. If you see fish on the Marcum you're getting close. If it shows the bottom 3 feet too high,,,,, you're in heaven. cool.gif

Drill Drop Look, Drill Drop Look every fifteen minutes until you find them little rascals or run out of gas.

Pushups in the Marine corps? grin.gif

On most lakes I will do that but it's tough on red because its so shallow. The cone on the vexlar doesnt cover much ground when your only shooting it down 10 feet from the bottom of the ice. You could drill a hole right over a whole school but if one isnt directly under your transducer you wont see them.

thats y kelly said marcum wink.gifgrin.gif

To be serious for a second, whether you have a vexi or marcum, when you put your transducer in the hole, don't just take what is directly under you, Wiggle, shake that thing so the cone is getting to point in directions all around you. Watch your screen closely. You can definitely tell what is around you in a 20 foot radius. Thats your tip for the day grin.gif

Looking also means droping a line for 10-15 and seeing if there is any active fish in the area!

thanx for the tip. How are things these days in cloud? Still 4 for 1's at the Press on Thursdays? I was a tech grad in 92.

Apollo 97 here. The press is still going strong, although the older I get the less I frequent the downtown scene. (Marriage may have something to do with that too tongue.gif) I guess I forgot the putting a minnow in the hole part, that is pretty key to seeing if they are around, too. grin.gif