Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nellie30

Thorne Bros Ice Rods

6 posts in this topic

I got a gift certificate to Thorne Bros for my B-day recently & was thinking of using it on one of Thorne Bros custom rods. I was thinking of the Sweet Thing (24" panfish rod) w/ spring bobber. Thought I would check with the local group & see if anyone has any feedback on their rods. I think I have read everything on the "ice fishing" forum...Anyone ever use one of these? Worth the money? How's the spring bobber compared to St. Croix Legend? Appreciate any info...

You will be very happy with that purchase. I have the panfish sweetheart 28" and it is the best panfish rod I own. I recently picked up the spring bobber and used it for the first time on Sunday and it worked great. I would say the spring bobber is a little bit better than the St. Croix spring bobber.

In no way am I putting down Throne rods or spring bobbers, but I would prefer a St. Croix spring above all. The physical rod is a different story as you’ve probably researched.

My picture perfect panfish rod for the Rochester area to be used as a jigging rod inside a shack. Ultra Light 25" Throne custom rod, lightweight cork handle (on the short side), 4 eyelets & St Croix Spring bobber. 2# Berkley Vanish on a Tica Cetus SB or SS 500 reel taped on. That would be ideal for me. Everybody is different thou.

ive got a sweet thing and i love it. i like the spring bobber on this rod more than my st. croix. This was my favorite rod when i got it and it still is.

Of all the Thorne Bros rods I own, the sweetthing plus Tica reel with 4# P-Line. is exactly that. My only gripe with the spring bobber is when I fish outside my portable with it. I use 4# P-Line and when outside the line ices up a little and you have to keep the ice off the line for it to go through the end. I am going to try and drill out the hole a little bigger and then I will have the perfect pannie rod for inside or outside.

Sweet Thing ia a perfect pannie rod. I dont know of a Thorne Bros rod I dont like except for the ones I dont own.

I really like the Thorne Brothers ice rods. I bought a couple of walleye rods from them for a recent trip to LOW and they exceeded my expectations. As for the St. Croix, I love the spring bobber mechanism and hate the blank. So, I solved that problem by building a couple of panfish rods based on the Throne Brothers blanks but using the St. Croix spring bobbers. If you have a rod you like you can wrap a single foot, size 3, wire, fly guide opposite of the tip top, apply your epoxy finish, and then insert a small rubber gromet (1/8" hole). The result is a rubber holder for a St. Croix spring bobber. If you want to see a recent post on this check here http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=979146&page=5&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1