• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

As you stated it used to get pretty tough to catch a walleye after June so I'd usually go and cast for bass just to get some action. Had 3 or 4 spots where I could usually get something, even if it was just catching and throwing back small bass and northerns. One afternoon by the narrows had some of the best fishing ever catching and releasing bass. I kept thinking in a couple years there should be some pretty good fish in here with all the small ones I'm releasing. Wrong! Also had a pretty good spot on the south side for crappies and sunfish. Can't seem to get anything there anymore either.

The spill test is July 14th along hwy 82 by the outlet from Chistina. The test will actually take place on the water of Pelican in the bay between Ashby resort & the outlet.

If any of you are seeking sunfish, try fishing under your dock & lift. I found a mess of them right under my feet. I actually pull the dock panels up 1 at a time and let the jog drift under. I fish this way with my rod / reel for ice fishing.

It was 2 years ago in the fall. The DNR was spraying Christina to kill off the fish and splash went the helicopter in the NW corner of Christina.

• 2 weeks later...

We spent the last week at the cabin. Since we now have a 6 month old child, my fishing time is reduced. The time I did spend on the water was fairly productive. Each 2 hour stretch I was out I landed 2-3 pike. In one outing, I got 2 5lb fish. I did not see one Walleye though, but that is often the case when trolling cranks in the areas I was in. Our pontoon does not have a trolling motor to get the slow presentation going for the live bait bite. There was also a good bite going on with the panfish under our dock. I can not stress enough to the folks looking for panfish to fish the cover (shade on hot days). Seriously, pull up the panels on your dock, cast under the boat lift, etc. They are there in good numbers.

The one thing I was disapointed in was the water clarity. At the Assoc meeting this spring, it was said that the clear water was heading across the lake. Not in our bay off Big Island point. One day it was downright nasty. This leads me to a question. If the "clear" water is comming out of Christina, wouldn't that same clear water move right out of the lake at Melby park without the rest of the lake getting benefit? Perhaps there is another outlet? I'm confused on that subject.

All in all, I think the status of fishing this lake is alright. Yes, it could be better, but also keep in mind that it could be much worse.

• 3 weeks later...

This weekend, we had the best panfish action since we bought our place 4 years ago. I am not pulling anyones leg when I say we caught hundreds of sunnies. Some were small, but most were around the 8" mark. I cleaned 17 of them for a family meal. I have struggled for many years to find the panfish on Pelican. It's really nice to see so many biting. I feel a lot better about this fishery after this weekend. Now, if anyone could tell me where the Walleye's are, I'd be even more happy!

Camped the past two weekends out on Pelican, no walleyes, in the past we caught them pulling spinners & minows but early & late. Didn't see very many boats fishing the south side and those that were seemed to be just running & gunning, no one working any particular area so I'm assuming no large numbers of fish were caught. Weather permitting and a generous boss, I'll be back out there Labor day weekend, for a cast & blast weekend. Headed to the east coast on Wednesday, might get in some stripers & blues action.

Looks like I'm going to have to try it over on your side of the lake (fishings always better on the other side anyway.) I can catch sunnies off the dock but they're all fairly small.

• 4 weeks later...

How has the fishing been guys? With the cooler weather, I am started to get excited for duck season smile.gif my next time up to Pelican. Will do a bit of afternoon walleye fishing usually is weather is nice.

Hope you guys have a nice end to your summer, and the fish cooperate!

Nothing much for fishing going on, time to break out the waders soon though. Will be out Labor day weekend and give them a try during the day. Going to try for geese too, cast and blast weekend. cool.gif

Finally off work, loading up the camper on Thursday a.m. headed to the lake. Don't have to be back to work until Tuesday next week will be on the south shore the whole time.

Anyone else see all of the dead crappies this weekend? There were some really nice ones too along with a bunch in the 5" - 6" range.

With the strong wind out of the south east on Saturday, the dead crappies were really coming into the west side. I could see 3 or 4 at a time floating by. A lot were probably 6 to 8 inches, measured one that was 11" and one 13". We drove up to the north end and took a look at the shoreline by the outlet. There were quite a few washed up on the sand.

One neighbor said they had come up to the lake on Tuesday and had been seeing dead ones every day.

Is this a common occurence-a big fish dieoff like this?

I fished the lake for the first time on Sunday and there were dead crappies everywhere. I've heard about die offs like this down by the twin cites before and if I remember right it was some sort of chemical kill; I would assume that is the case here seeing it's only crappies that were killed?

I was not worried when GRA came over to our place on Sat to introduce himself. However, as the weekend went on, we saw more & more Crappies. There were a (Contact Us Please) ton on our shore Mon morning. One was well over 2 lbs and bigger than the 15" Crappie in my freezer. Indian Mounds was saving a few big & small fish to give to the DNR. I am leaning towards it being an oxygen issue. The water went from 80+ degrees to under 70 degrees in a short time. If the fish were already oxygen deprived, the sudden temp change probably shocked them to death. If & when I hear from the resort on their findings, I'll post here. BTW, Indian Mounds may be under new ownership as of Oct 15th. I guess they have a purchase agreement signed.

I don't know exactly how the O2 thing would work? Wouldn't all the fish be affected or does the O2 level just affect certain areas/structures? And why only crappies? I didn't see any sunfish, walleyes, carp, etc washed up on the south side. On a side note my 9 y/o did take out a couple of flying carp on Sat morning.

KSAX just had Dean Beck from Glenwood fisheries on and it was a bacterial infection of some sort and only affected crappies from what I could understand in the interview.

Too bad it was not an infection that only effected Bullheads!

Oh well, what do you do.

Stop going to your favorite place in the world?

I think not.

I'll settle for the good Sunfish action at the end of my dock thank you very much!

No kidding, is bad news for sure. It sure was fun catching those biguns early this year. Hopefully there will be still be plenty left to get the population back up as quick as it can.

Will be up next for duck opener, staying at Ashby Resort.

• 1 month later...

Did anyone get out on the water to try for Walleye's in Oct?

I'm wondering if the fall bite ever kicked in.

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing but duck hunters that I have seen. I'm sure some fished, but no reports. fair amount of shooting on the lake this weekend. I can see Christina and a little of pelican from my stand. so I get the benefit of hearing the shots while Im watching for whatever it is that I watch for from there!!

• 2 weeks later...

Happy Thanksgiving Pelican Lake folks! smile.gif

I ended up getting a decent (not huge) 8 point buck within hearing range of Pelican. Could have shot goldeneye out of my stand! ha!

The bay the Ashby Resort is in was ice covered this weekend. We even saw 2 brave souls out in the middle ice fishing Sat afternoon. I thought we would be hearing about them in the news today. I'm as anxious as anyone, but it's not worth it. In contrast, there was a boat & trailer at the launch yesterday & today. From the launch East, it's wide open.

People fishing on pelican, bout 3 inches of ice. Haven't heard any reports. I'm heading for Christina next saturday, Wonder if there's anything in there? Brent

Does anyone know if the big part of the lake froze good before the snowfall? When we were up there Thanksgiving weekend, it was pretty much open from the public launch in the West to Indian Mounds in the East. Also, I'm looking to rent a hard sided house over the weekend before New Years. Are there any resorts in the area that provide this service? It does not have to be on Pelican & could be as far away as Ottertail. Thanks.

None of the lakes froze over well enough to hold up to the snow we have in the area. With the amount of snow on the ice, flooding is happening even on small bodies of water. Aproximately 7 inches of ice where I was today, and lots of flooding. Portables were flooded, and even just drilling a hole produced lots of water on the ice. I don't see a great deal of excellent ice this winter. Hope I'm wrong, but not tooo optimistic for getting the hard wall out any time soon. Brent

It is starting to sound like I'll need to find myself a plow driver to get into our cabin in a few weeks. Has anyone been out on Pelican? If so, what's it been like? Who plows up there? I may need someone I can call for a $20-$30 plow upon request.