• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I just came across this website and thought maybe I could get an answer to something thats been buggin me since last June--why couldn't I catch a fish on Pelican last year. After doing a search thru some old posts, is it just the clear water and an abundance of perch?

We,ve had a place on the west side of the lake for a number of years and during May and June I used to always be able to go out and catch SOMETHING--often a mixed bag,maybe a couple walleyes, a few crappies, throw back a northern or bass or two. Last year-nothing. Even my "never fail" crappie and later in the summer, bass locations drew blanks.

Are you talking about the one in Ashby,I have only fished the lake once and cought nothing.but every lake goes through it's cycles.I have noticed less fish house right of highway two or three years ago it was packed.It will come back

We have a place on Pelican also. We are on the East side. It was slower this past open water season, but I still had scattered luck. Highlights = 27" Walleye - 31" Pike - 15" Crappie. I'd be happy to go out with you sometime when the lake opens up again & share some tactics. I'll drop you an e-mail also. One thing to keep in mind is that the water is low, which lead to thinker weeds, which lead to murky / warmer water.

I wonder how the ice bite is?

When they killed christina, they had a great kill on fathead minnows. Hate to rain on their parade, but the bullhead population is thriving well. There are a lot of fish in Christina, and it will be a good fishery in short order, barring a big winterkill.

As for pelican, there is one thing that really limits the catches. Supply and demand. The supply of catchable fish in pelican is probably as low as I have seen it. Growing up near the lake and spending all of my summers there I have seen a lot of changes. My Grandfather and other relatives lived all of their lives on the lake and the stories are endless. Last winter was as clear as I have ever seen pelican in 37 years. This winter dirty again. There are many reasons and even more opinions on why this is. Pelican is an extremely fertile lake, and grows fish at a fast rate, hence the quick cycling we see on the lake. The crappie population is fair, sunnies fair, walleye (keepable size) short supply, pike fair to low. small perch lots, decreasing in population due tp predation, bass numbers seem fair. There is ample food supplies and coupled with the great catches of the past years, the catch rates are as can be expected not as large as past years. It will come back as the slow catching really limits the angling pressure and this allows the fish to grow and reproduce.

Don't give up on the lake, it is a great fishery, just needs time to catch up. Good luck fishing, Brent

Brent, Can't give up on the lake-I've gotten too spoiled just jumping in the boat and going out fishing. (As long as I can keep paying the taxes and have some money left for minnows). Probably going to have to relearn fishing the lake to deal with the clearer water and weedier bottom. Just when you think you've got something figured out and it has to go and change.

How long have you had a place on the lake? I think fishing patterns will revert to what they were prior to the clear water. The lake is quite dirty now.

A favorite story of Pelican lake from the past.

During the 1950's and 60's the lake was very clear, and held a huge population of jumbo perch. People would come from around the state and some with airplanes would land on the south end of the lake to fish the perch. When the perch quit biting there was obviously a big pike around. The pike would lay near the bottom and the perch would not come around. A great uncle would then slip a homemade snare on a stiff wire down the hole and pull them out. (use your immagination on what pulling 40 plus inch fish out with a snare would be like!) The perch would again start biting and the fishing continued until the next big predator moved in! I obviously never saw it, but beleive it to be true.

A little previous history of pelican.

During the dust bowl of the 1930's the lake nearly dried up. Most of the shallow basin lakes in the area including the chippewa river flowage, the pelican creek-pomme de terre flowage, and others dried up and most weere farmed. Pelican had water covering about one fourth of it's 3700 acres. A frind told me that as a young man living on Pelican's big island point, he could not drive a golf ball from the shore to open water. There were huge kills of fish, and the subsequent years of higher water raised great numbers of perch, pike, and others. In the 1950's Pelican's outlet at pelican creek was redone. It was at this time that the bottom of the creek was raised around two feet to keep the water levels higher. Doing this meant that Christina would also be raised. (hence the controversy over dropping Christina's water levels.) This raising of the water levels has helped sustain the fishery to this day. There have been some winters in the past 40 years that Pelican sustained some winter kill. Not so in the past 15 to my knowledge, the winters have not been harsh enough. One area of Pelican especially proned to winterkill is the north end of the lake where the oxygen depleted water from christina enters the lake. I can remember years when the oxygen levels in pelican were near 0 all the way to the "Narrows". During these years the fish will tend to migrate to more oxygen rich areas of the lake. Luckily for us today this is not an issue! Well, enough rambling for now, Brent

That's some good stuff. Thanks for the story. I for one would love it if Pelican turned into a Jumbo factory. Maybe some of the million little ones in there now will be a pound in a few years! On the DNR website, they have photos from the air dating back to 1938. It is remarkable how low the lake was then. I'll see if I can post the pic from '38 here along with a more recent air photo.

If anyone has concerns about there being fish in the lake, I suggest calling the DNR fishery in Glenwood. You will be pleasantly surprised at the electro survery they did in the fall of '05.

I doubt that it will grow large perch from what I have seen in my day. The perch that are there are not the great growers of the past decades. While I have seen good numbers of large perch, 10in. or more in Christina, I have never witnessed this in Pelican. We need to remember also that the fish of the two lakes were able to roam between the two lakes and that they did. Immagine pelican having another 4,000 acres of production attached to it! When Pelican was opened to spearing for the first time, (50's) it was common for spearfishermen to get their limit of ? fish in matters of minutes. The fish were over 10 pounds with most over 15, and lots over 20lbs!

Another interesting fact is that the DNR used to take thousands of pike annually out of lake Christina and stock in other lakes. This was done in the winter when the main lake was getting depleted of oxygen and the fish congregated by the cricks and springs. Large box traps were used to capture the fish and they were transported from there. It kept the game wardens busy also with the boys that were getting a few for the table! Rambling again, maybe more later, Brent

This is great stuff. I am really enjoying the stories since I have only been on the lake for 3 years.

Alot of interesting stuff on an interesting lake. Been on the lake since about'90. Used to icefish it as a kid with dad and uncle back in the 60's. Seemed like half the houses off Indian Mound were from Evansville and the other half from guys here in Dawson that used to drive up there.

A couple guys had a house in shallow water off the end of that point and used to fish for nothing but northerns with sucker minnows. I'd walk around in the late afternoon to see what guys were catching and they'd have these huge northerns laying on the ice outside the door.

Not much fishing pressure back in those days--after you ground your way thru a couple feet of ice with one of those swedish spoon augers you weren't in any big hurry to move.

Uncle and three other farmers (needed 4 guys to play pinochle) would drive up there, open up the holes, get the oil burner fired up, and play cards all day, but they always came home with fish. Course this was before all the portables, 4x4s, gas and electric augers, two lines, etc.

Just sittin back thinking about all of the great times on Pelican. My Great aunt and uncle farmed the south side of pelican, to the west of Bengstons (beach on south shore). In the summer heat around harvest time, there would be great hatches of mayflies. During this time it was a custom of a buddy and myself to tie flies on lines and cast them out behind a bobber. If you hit the shores around sunset, the mosquito noise was immense, a virtual hummmm, We waded out in the water to get away from some of the annoyment. It was unreal the fish we would catch. The water was an erruption of pop. pop.... fish taking bugs off the topwater. Make your fly like a bug and fish on! We caught tons of huge bluegills, crapies, bass and even walleyes. There was really something about the oats harvest adjacent to the shores that seemed to make the timing right.

Another fun stint: grin.gif In the 1980's there were some fellas who had some goats, and became very annoyed with them. What to do with them?? confused.gif Over a "safety meeting" (involving drinks), the suggestion of taking them to "bird Island" came up. cool.gif The Plot was layed and some hogtied goats were toated to the island for everyone to enjoy. (that or they swam there like they were on their way to brementown) Well, these goats lived on the island and were fed by some locals and were very annoying to the resitents that could hear them make their noises in the calm evening air. Local residents were said to have kept quiet for a long time, not wanting to tell someone they were hearing goats. (sounds like your crazy) crazy.gif The goats met their demise when the CU club decided to have goat on their menu for their fundraiser. tongue.gif When I'm there in the summer, I still look at the shore of bird island where the tree leaned over the water and can picture those goofy goats on the tree over the water watching the boats go by. There was also an old hunting cabin there that they kinda took to be theirs.

• 2 weeks later...
grin.gif Hey 101, welcome to FM! great to see a new name posting. lots of information here! join in often. Brent

Yes have been viewing alot lately figured to chime once & awhile. Couldn't help myself with the talk on Pelican. I sure wish the sunfish would get the size they used to be though. Used to tear them up below the grainary.

101, might be the same grainary I fished by. Also was good by the rock pile by Rudolph's barn! Under Ole's dock! and .... The days fishing way back when, we let the small ones go, they were 1/2 pound or bigger. You gotta think though, there were the same houses on the lake in the winter and same boats in the summer, lots more today. It's a good thing for those who enjoy Pelican! it's a neat lake and deserves a lot of appreciation. We can remember and appreciate those memories, as well as those that can make new memories. It's still an awesome fishery.

Where is that rock pile with current land marks? I have been trying to find a nice rock > gravel or rock > sand transition. Other than the rock point where the pelicans hang out (west side of bird island), I have yet to locate any rocks deep enough to make it worth a few hours.

I know its the same grainary, kinda tough going down the bank with that rope. You ever use Joe's blue & white boat? Could never get that thing to row straight. Jake & I were thinking of heading out there tonight but I can't drill holes with 2 broken fingers. Thats what happens when you get your hand caught in a crank for a fishhouse. Tim

Hi all, those are some great pics. I am about 40 now, but have been going to Pelican fishing since I was 12, and my Dad long before that. Duck hunt too, and always stay at Ashby Resort. Have lots of good friends in the area as well.

My Dad remembers the big sunnies, but I don't. I do remember the huge crappies, but haven't many in quite a few years. The eyes do seem to go in cycles, but we usually get fewer but nicer walleyes, but about 8 or so years ago, holy cow did we get numbers of them. We are always up there second (long) weekend of fishing, and then usually one other weekend, and then about every weekend in the fall for hunting. We usually fish the first couple Saturdays in October and have done well. Didn't this past year.

You are right, it is a great lake for many activities, and you have to be patient during some of the "off" years, as we have called it the dead sea plenty, only to have to eat our words wink.gif

Good to see some talk about Pelican, as it seems like I grew up on it, sort of, in short bursts. We probably know some of the same folks from Ashby.

One of the major problems with Pelican now is the commorants, I spend quite a bit of time on the lake still and have seen a line of commorants 200+ yards by 5 commorants deep basically sweeping/driving fish across the lake. I don't know this for a fact but have heard that a commorant can outswim a 3lb walleye. Given that does is matter how many lbs of walleye fry the DNR puts into the lake with the number of nesting commorants on Bird Island? I have watched the commorants do this several mornings in a row on Pelican. Why are they protected birds no one can seem to answer that question.

Cormorants and pelicans are problematic everywhere. They were protected the same time the pelicans herons, and other migratory birds were. I beleive this is an international protection that covers them in Canada, USA, Mexico. They were protected when the numbers were low stemming from the harvest for feathers. There are no natural predators for these birds, and are controlled through mortality only, so there are a lot of them now. We've always thought that concentrated areas would be subject to disease, but haven't seen it. From my perspective bird island is a regular manure pit. Nasty when all the birds are there. about the only thing that likes it are the ferns that grow there?

• 2 weeks later...

Cormorants were never protected,back when pelicans were. pelicans were over hunted almost wiped out.cormorants were target pratice till DDT was found to weaken egg shells like BaldEagles,Then they were federally protected.They should open target pratice again! And my memories of pelican lake in the late 50s & 60s are dear to me.Huge sunfish 100-200 a day all taken them days.one of my larger notherns came from the creek that flows into melby lake 22lbs.Now you've got me interested. I think I'll bring the ole girl up this summer! HELP ME PLEASE, is there yet a county picinic area camp ground right there by the creek that goes from pelican to melby.Is the resort yet there? it was Wagners resort back then?? HAY FISHER do you know any of the Melbys? Butch, Jimmy, Gloria Or maybe any Wagners Karan, Linda, Sue??

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't personally know them, I was on the SE corner of the lake, and SW corner. I don't see any Melby names in the immediate area,however there are some in Dalton, Fergus, Alex.... Wagners, I am not familiar with either. There is only the Ashby Resort on the North end, The campground right off I 94, I beleive the resort campground is still by the access on the West side. Nothing by pelican creek, where it exits the lake. I beleive that old farm is still owned by some Melby???

I am pretty sure that little park is still there by the creek into Melby. Still has a couple picnic tables, or it did last year. Have not seen anybody camp there though.

I am also pretty sure the resort by the access might have closed, becasue a local buddy up there bought one of his outboards, and he said he was closing shop last summer - - however, we did buy minnows and some beer from him last May, so he was open then.

My Dad stayed at Wagners long ago, and theat is where he siad they used to catch the big sunnies. But Wagners has been long gone for as long as I can remember, and that is going back a ways.

Mike and Diane at Ashby Resort are great folks, and I highly recommend staying there if you head back for a trip. "Cabin 10" is the best cabin, BTW wink.gif we get it for duck season, and used to get it all fall long, before the old guys started pooping out and the young guys started having kids. Now its just opener and another couple weekends.

Ashby Resort has campground for tents or trailers as well.

When you say Butch, Jimmy, and Gloria, did you mean Rylander or Melby? Pelican is definitely a favorite and always will be. Yeah, it has its ups and downs, but don't all lakes. It's good to see the old "Pelican" talk. Have a good one!

Yup, resort south of the access shut down. Just curious-anybody fish Pelican this winter? How clear was the water?

Happened to think of something from years past--What was the name of the grcery store on the south side of main street in Ashby that had a bait shop in the back?

djr Your right! I was thinkin and last night I remembered it was Rylander then I got on this Pelican discussion and you had it.