Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Cranker

Wednesday December 27th Fishing Report

5 posts in this topic

Wow,

Where do I begin?

I can't believe how many people are so ballsy with driving vehicles every where. I can't wait to hear the horror stories. Folks, it was 40 degrees today and sunny! Some cracks are still forming in some spots and the resorts are marking these for your saftey.

If your driving around out there people, its best to drive on only marked roads for safety. A few cracks opened up today and probably will open more tommorrow. Most resorts are pulling houses out ON MARKED ROADS AND AREAS THEY HAVED CHECKED FOR ICE SAFTEY!!!

There is still open water on the southwest side of Doe Island where the sun has been beating on the rocks. About a 15 x 15 ft area is very thin ice with open water. (Its not very deep water, but you sure could get hurt very badly!)

If you are driving at night you could very easily drive right into danger area in a unmarked area. There has been a few people hurt the past week and one fatality. No one broke threw the ice, but people are driving there ATV's at night at high speeds and are hitting these cracks and wrecking badly! A couple of fisherman coming off the lake hit a ice heave/crack area and destroyed their ATV and broke some bones. Another person hit a different ice heave/crack and died. Please go slow out there and be on the side of caution at all times. Never take the ice for granted! I am sorry about getting on my soap box here but I find it really upsetting to hear of these things happening, when its so not neccessary.

The last two days I have been out to to Hennepin 12", Sunset Bay 13",Shaws Reef 12", Two Mile 12", Big Point 13", Midget 8", Nine Mile 8 to 9", 5 mile 11", 8 mile 8 to 9", 3 mile has different ice 8" to 12".

We had a better day today. three walleyes and 17 jumbo perch. Fished in 7 different areas today and it was very tough, till we went back to the shallow rock-sand breaklines 10 to 12 ft. All the fish were not very active. Every fish was caught on a dead stick today. Jiggin scared everything away or they just stared at the jig and minnow head.

Seen walleyes all day on the Aqua View and one huge Muskie out by Doe Island. We had no chance if he decided to take the bait. The walleyes and even the perch were so finicky! Most of our fish were caught on Crappie Minnows!!! We switched in the afternoon, after watching the perch and walleyes just come in and stare at the fatheads, rainbows and small goldens. Once we went with small jigs with crappie minnows we caught fish.

Have fun out there, but above all be safe! Always check with the resorts before driving on Lake Mille Lacs. Conditions change from day to day on this lake.

Fish On!!!

Thanks for the report Cranker. What are your thoughts on this upcoming weather for the weekend. Me and a couple guys are thinking about coming up friday evening but Im hoping this weather that is coming in won't screw anything up.

You'll be fine coming up and fishing.

Its still getting below freezing at night. (Mid 20's) the rest of this week. Then its suppose to get colder at night, in the single digits.

Like I mentioned in my post. Its going to be interesting this weekend with New Years.

If you ask the resorts of the ice conditions in that area. You'll be fine with their instructions.

Fishing has been tough. Its not because there isn't any fish either. They just haven't been biting. But tommorrow is another day and it may be the day they turn on! And when they do, its going to be unbelieveable!

The past three days I have never seen so many walleyes on the camara!!! They just are not active yet...... YET!!! They have to eat one of these days. Maybe its tommorrow or the next day???? We `won't know till we fish.

Have a great time and be safe up here and Happy New Year!

Fish On!!!

Thanks for the reply! good luck to you

Thanks for the awesome report cranker. Think I'm gonna come up to your resort (or somewhere on that side) on Saturday, where would you recomend going in order to be somewhere close enough to walk out for a decent shot at a few eyes??? not lucky enough to have a wheeler and dont trust driving the F150 on the ice quite yet.