Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
badbass1

How many adults hunted and shot squirrels when they were young?

47 posts in this topic

I was wondering how many of you adults, hunted and shot squirrels when you were teenagers? i need as many of you as i can get. My aunts think its wrong and that I am a jeffy Dahmer. they dont think anyone else did it. Help me men!

We ate a lot of em, still do.

I did! I did!

No serialistic tendencies; a few surreallistic.

I did, that's how I got introduce into hunting. I started at around 8-9 years old and has been hunting since.

We also cook them in stew, it's just like possum....delicious.

Sometimes we had them rosted on fire, if you add a lot or rosemary they taste awesome.... wink.gif

BTW who's jeffy Dahmer ?

A bud of mine and I killed a decent amount with sling shots and then when we upgraded to air rifles it was pure murder! This all was long before we were 16. I still like to hunt them and will be doing just that this Sat.

i did! too bad we can kill

the little rats here in the cities..

bbqhead

i did and still do! i got one this afternoon!

Absolutely! Ate a few of them too. I sort of hate to admit it, but when I was a young lad, I pretty much shot anything that moved (not everything, but almost). Rabbits are another yummy meal. grin.gif

Still, with all the things I shot during those years, I haven't turned into a Jeff Dahmer. smirk.gif

Whacked 'em, stacked 'em, ate 'em all winter long.

The squirrel market is a little "competitive" nowadays, but you can still find them on private land (ironic, isn't it?).

My dad taught me proper gun handling by hunting squirrels when I was a kid some 40 years back. Still hunt them some.

I still hunt squirrels. Tasty. Dahmer got his start with cats I think.

I shot lots of them with my .22 as a teenager. And we also ate them, excellent eating if done right!! Especially if they're young ones!

Yep - .410 bolt action 3" six shot. Don't know who was more excited, me or dad those mornings uh...35 years ago(?)... blush.gif

My father introduced me to hunting on squirrels. At first I carried an unloaded single shot and would load when we were going to shoot. I learned to walk quietly, watch for movement and to sit still and have patience. It was an excellent opportunity for many lessons.

A family of 5 in the car could bring home quite a few squirrels and rabbits to fill the refridge. Gas was cheap and .22 shells were also, but Dad really got mad if you missed a shot, wasting the shells. This was in the early '50s and you didn't have to go far down old 52 to get your limit. Had a friend in the Navy from Kentucky who got some squirrel jerky mailed to him from home. He wouldn't let any of the rest of us touch it, it was a delicacy to him.

I gotta go along with the crowd. A single-shot bolt-action .22 and some quiet time in the woods with an uncle taught me a lot about patience and shot placement! Mom would cook them up with some BBQ sauce, but she'd never eat any.

TJ

I grew up on a farm and back then we had corn in a wire crib. We had standing orders to shoot any squirrel, and that was our winter entertainment. I look forward as next fall my son will be old enough to take along on a few little hunting trips, and squirrels are a great place to start.

I think Jeffrey Dahmer ate people, not squirrels, anyhow.

DD

Up north on the Range there's few grey squirrels, mostly the tiny red squirrels so we were into rabbits. My first rabbit came from a Daisy BB gun. My friends and I would case up our BB guns and walk the tracks out of town. Not proud of it but we may have been little Jeff Dahlmers because we shot at anything that moved. Possibly do to lack of parental guidence. We didn't evolve to eat people! I'm teaching my son the proper ethics and safety that should go with hunting.

Still shoot a few squirrels and rabbits every year. Going after snowshoes this weekend.

Mwal

I hunted rabbits and squirls all the time when I was a kid.

I still hunt small game every chance I can get. Especially now during the late season, when you have the whole woods to yourself. I persnally think, most people have forgotten just how much darn fun it is, and how good they taste.

Which reminds me I'm free this weekend, humm??????

I spent many a Sunday hunting squirrels while growing up int the 60's. Usually two of us would go so when we spotted a squirrl in a tree one guy walked to the other side and bang, dead squirrel when he popped around the limb.

I SLAYED THE SQUIRLLS.......as a younger kid 10-14 yrs old that was all we hunted...i learned all the basics of patience and woodsmanship while hunting in the oak flats of central mn. i dont hunt the furry rats anymore but grouse and rabbits give me fits when i carry my gun grin.gifgrin.gif

I hunted squirrels every day of the weekend when I was a young-in. Got me started hunting and I have never quit. Not bad to eat either.