• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

emily area panfish lake

I will be up in the Emily area around New Years. Planned on doing a little ice fishing. Just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction to a lake to try for panfish. Not looking for specific spots, just a lake to catch a few eater sized sunfish or crappies. Any tips greatly appreciated. Thanks

mrjigger, I can email you a couple of prospects. I'd rather not post lake names (too many lurkers).

For the most part, the registered users of these forums are contributing, ethical sportsmen. But don't ever underestimate how many people troll these forums looking for a place to rape the resource. They contribute nothing and fill the freezer. I could simply post "try Whitefish" or "they are biting on Cross Lake" and it's not going to lead to hordes of fishermen crippling the fish populations. But if I post the name of a 200 acre lake, it could have a drastic impact in short order. We've all seen it happen. And that's no secret.

i hear you there, i was out with my brother last weekend

on a spot i fish (normally alone). there were 8 houses set up

right on top of each other! no one fished there untill a guy saw me there 2 day's last spring. guess i'll have to find another honey hole!!!!! frown.gif

Absolutely... If you look on the bottom left side of the page, it should tell you how many users and anonymous people are browsing... right now at 8:14, 5 reg... 24 anonymous. There are too many not willing to share to leak info. I prefer the email method as well, as the PM feature on this site is turned off.

I agree about posting certain hot spots. No offense intended to anyone. Most of the common spots are well known and sometimes they produce very well. I dont mind telling people that. They still have to catch them. But there are some areas on certain lakes that take years to develope by trail and error. I have spent a lot of time a gas doing this and I wont just make this public knowledge to anyone. Some are on small lakes that could be decimated by a half a dozen boats in a month or less. I took a friend to one of my crappie hotspots one night after he begged me a few summers ago and told him not to tell anyone. The next week I went back and there were 8 boats on the spot. I asked them if they knew my friend. One boat said Oh yes! we know him, he told us about this spot. The boat then told another and another, it multiplies. They pretty much raped the crappie resource in that area. Guess what? I guard my favorite spots with my life now. So dont take it personal if the posters dont give up their honeyhole. good luck

yeah fishroger I know some people like that who want to know your secret spots but when you ask them about where they go they can't tell ya cuz its such a secret. So I do the same roger and just keep my secret bluegill and crappie spots to myself. Cuz once you tell someone or bring a buddy, they tell their buddy or uncle or dad or sister whos b/f or husband fishes and then you have a clan out there fishing your fish! It doesn't take long to fish out a good bluegill or crappie hole and make it average, especially on small lakes, and I wish more people would understand that.

Do you think because I live in southern Iowa I don't know what fish are? Do a google on Lake Rathbun for crappie and walleye. I can take you out on this lake almost any day of the year and take you to 14"+ crappie and most likely get you a 6-10 lbs. walleye. Also we don't have that many 200 acre lakes, do a google on southern iowa farm ponds. They average 3 acres or less but produce 6-10 inch bluegills and 5 lbs bass like there is no tomorrow. But if the farm ponds don't get the fishing pressure then the fish become overcrowded and soon the size is small because of the overpopulation of fish. Kind of like the bluegills are on Lake Nisswa (dinks). I fish in many different states each year because I pay for my licenses and I have the right because I am proud "Free" american citizen. Just because I don't live in Minnesota (which I used too) doesn't mean I don't know anything about fish cool.gif. I'll get off it now because I like this forum and the positive things that my fellow americans have to say on this site. This is by far the best site I have ever been on for fishing. Oh yeah could you all send some of your ice down this way? We're a little short on the stuff this year grin.gif. Actually I plan on making a few trips up that way soon. I love the Nisswa area, the people are friendly and the fishing is really great and I promise not to take all your fish home with me. My wife and I are catch and release, except for a fresh meal, people. I won't always agree with your feedback but I will read and respect it.

Thanks,

Mike

Those are just the facts. If you give away your honey hole you might as well kiss it good bye and find another one. If your catching 14" crappies and 10 # wallys on Rathbun what are you doing up here? Where did patriotism come in the discussion?

You only read part of my post. I fish several states. The reason I come up to Minnesota to fish is I like the people, area, and I love to ice fish. I usually stay around home during the summer. I like to travel and love to fish. I would think that you would appreciate out of state fishermen coming to your area to generate revenue to your businesses. If you didn't have revenue in your state you wouldn't have stocking which unfortunately means poor fishing. Bottom line is the USA is a free country, thank god, and evreyone has the right to fish public waters wherever they wish to. I knew my post would stir the pot especially since I now live in Iowa. Believe me the only reason I moved down here was for the job I have now. I was just lucky enough to move to an area with excellent fishing and pretty good hunting.