• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How come you have not purchased your STS yet?

jlm

Alright, I am a softy for new stuff with all the hype. However, the STS (shock terminator supressor) is one product you can NOT do without! I shoot an '06 tribute which is the best bow on the market for 2006 (ok, feel free to argue) and man does this thing increase performance. It almost completely eliminates hand torque and completely eliminated the need for sound dampening equipement. You have to try this thing out, I shot with it all year and it is by far the best product I have tried in many years. It runs about 50 bucks and is worth every penny. Give it a try and let us know what you think!

I like mine too. Eliminates string slap. You can get them on AT for less than $50. I'd take off the stabilizer and the string silencers before I'd take the STS off.

I heard Hoyt is putting STS like devices on their new bows.

By the way: Bowtech is nice but Ross is better.

1) I love my STS- it's definitely not all hype.

2) Bowtech makes an awesome bow. The Tribute is wonderful!

3) Yep, Hoyt's new Vectrix and Vectrix XL have a built in STS-like device.

4) Ross makes a better bow than Bowtech??? Not even close. That's kinda like saying Kia makes a better car than Lexus! tongue.gif

jlm,

How can a device that is suposed to stop the string after the shot reduce hand torque which is introduced before the shot???? tongue.gif

It is hilarious how people get touchy about their bow brands. If you say something about Bowtech, Mathews, Hoyt or whatever brand people take offence. Almost like you kicked their favorite dog. It's like arguing what is the best color, or what music is the best. Silly.

Hunting success has little to do with which bow you are shooting only how well you shoot it.

By the way. Mathews is the Polo shirt of the Bow world. wink.gif

92, I agree and... guilty as charged! However, one thing that might factor in to my comment- I don't shoot a Bowtech.

Regarding your Mathews comment- I couldn't possibly agree with you more. However, like you pointed out- some people will chime in here who don't agree and they'll be all crabby about the matter.

When it all comes down to it, whatever bow you can put the arrow on the spot with best is the best bow for you.

In the last 15 years I have owned three bows. They all shot deer so I dont know if any are better then the other. I like my Matthews but my PSE also shot many deer.

If you can shoot it, you can harvest it. Grab a bow that fits you and go pratice and do your homework and you WILL harvest a deer almost for sure.

One question might be is, how fast and quiet do they have to be when we aleady harvest deer?

I think sometimes we all get caught up in the new gadget game and just spend more money. I know I am guilty of that.

How true, Harvey. I, myself, am looking at spending a $1000 on a new set up. I really want a new bow but my old Browning kills deer just a dead. The bowhunter's dilema.

Hey! I resent that comment! wait let me check... nope not a single polo in my closet! Lots of flannel and camo though! confused.giftongue.gif

And I do have an STS.. it's sitting idol in my bowcase though.

A new bow is nice to have along with all the new color combos for camo. I use to hunt with a guy who wore his green pants and a green shirt and he shot just about as many deer as I did. I have all the latest greatest camo,gear and bow.

But, how many more deer does it help me get?????

Now, if you have a real old bow that only shoots 200fps, then I can see getting that faster one. But from 300 to 310 I question.

It all comes down to personal choice.

Alright, alright, I just put that little bow brand comment in there to mess with everyone...lots of great bows out there! Now, back to the STS. Basically what this system does is it does not allow the string to go beyond it original vertical position and it sits against the string after release which reduces all (or most) of the vibration (which accounts for a great deal of noise as well). If the string is not allowed to go beyond its vertical position, much of the torque of the bow is eliminated. This system will take the best bow out there (I am not saying anything about Bowtch here either grin.gif) and improve many facets such as noise, vibration, and hand torque. You will never know the difference if you do not try it, it really is amazing! Again, the best 50 bucks I ever spent!

I have to agree with jlm here. I put an STS on my bow and it made a considerable difference. Harvey, if you're ever in Fargo I'd let you give mine a test run before you bothered to buy one. One really nice thing about them is you can take them on and off and it'll make no difference in your point of impact. So, I could lend it to you for a while and it wouldn't impact my set up much.

Quick question: I once saw something on the AT website about which bows would benifit the most by the use of a STS. I thought I once heard that if a bow is under a certian ATA length, the STS really didnt do much. Does this sound right...or is this just garbage info.?????

Just went out and did a search and found a description of this contraption. Wouldn't it cause excessive string wear at the point it contacts the string??

I never noticed any extra string wear with mine. Some people do add a bit if serving in the area to prevent it as well.

Here's my take on the STS. Yes it does work! At least in some claims. Let me explain. Yes it reduces felt hand vibration or shock. The amount it will reduce it really depends on your bow. Will it make it quieter? That is debatable. I don't think it made a lick of difference in my switchback. It's more of a thud sound now, still noise, just different noise. Cat wiskers really do the most good in my opinion. Even on a Switchback which has built in string suppressors. So I give that one a maybe. Accuracy improvement? I don't think so. If you watch a slow motion video of a shot you see that the string will move past it's resting point and occilate back and forth multiple times before it comes to rest. If you watch a video with an sts installed it still goes past rest just not quite as much. It's actually a pretty violent hit onto the sts stopper. The sts reduces hand shock or vibration in the shot because it does stop that string occilation quicker than it normally would on its own. BUT it's on that same thought that I don't think any accuracy improvement can be seen. I'll explain as best I can... think of the complete string follow through.. it starts off as a V shape as you are holding the knock in the base of the v. When you release that V straightens out and actually goes past rest creating a small upside down U and going back and forth until it's at rest. This is all with EQual shape on each side of the middle. So it is consistant from V to U to U to U etc until it is completely at rest. Now throw an STS on there and it disrupts that natural V to initial U. It's now more of a V to somewhat W or wobbling U because that string is still moving forward somewhat even after hitting that STS stopper. So rather than a smooth uniform U shaped rebound/arrow release just past resting point, it is a wobbling string release at just past resting point. Now do I think this really hurts accuraccy? Not really. Not an amount that any of us could measure anyway. Do I think it improves accuracy? Nope, not in the least. So I give this a aspect a "no effect" vote.

My advise is to go and try one out if you want to. Most people like them. The do make the shot feel more dead in the hand. And that is a pleasant feeling. Does it reduce sound? I don't think so it just changes it. Does it improve accuracy? I don't think so, rather I think it hurts accuracy but to an effect that none of us could really measure unless we were shooting very very long distances. Again, I say no effect on that. It doesn't weigh much, so that effect is pretty much negligible. Does it put any more deer down? Nope. A deader in the hand shock feeling reducer is not going to put any more deer in the freezer. It's just a feel good in the hand thing. THAT is why I say mine is in my bowcase and not on my bow. It does nothign for me in the field or even in a target for that matter. I don't mind the little hand shock I feel on the shot. It's where I hit my target that counts. Don't think I'm bashing this product either. I'm just saying it's not really ALL that it's cracked up to be. If you are looking to improve the feel of your shot or after shot I should say, go for it. But don't expect much else. And that is my personal conclusions on the STS device.

Oh, they can be found for as little as $40 online and anywhere between $40-$50 for most dealers. I paid $45 for mine from a dealer.

Thanks for the info.

I have to be honest and say that I am pretty comfortable with how my XT is performing without a STS attached. I have seen the STS in action and would agree that it does make the noise sound different.....to some it might sound less...to others its just a different noise. If you are using it to reduce forearm slap...I would think the problem is your draw length???? perhaps I am wrong.

I guess the only way to tell if your bow would benefit from a STS is to give it a try. Do any XT owners have one and what are your findings?

Good observation Gus. I too have my doubts about the accuracy claim of the STS.

Doesn't it just perform the same function as the cams with a string stopper?

Yes, fore-arm slap is due to incorrect draw length (too long) and poor shooting form.

Cliffy, same offer goes for you- if you want to come up to the bowclub I'd be happy to slap it on your bow and let you try it for yourself. If you don't like it, no harm done. If you do like it, $50 worth of harm done!

Thanks Scoot!! That is a very nice offer..and I will probably take you up on it. I have been meaning to get over to the Club but with all this nice weather...I just hit the Moorhead outdoor range instead. My wife took a classes at LAB for archery and said it was a very nice place. Gotta get over there.

Cliffy.

Quote:

Good review Gus!!

Do you work in an archery shop?

No I don't work at an archery shop. I spend enough time around them though. My preffered dealer calls them gimick and told me not to waste my money... another dealer I shoot at said they are very very nice. So I ended up doing a lot of research and formulating of my own conclusions based on it. So please, don't hate me if I'm proven wrong on anything!