• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Just wondering if anyone has fished Lawrence Lake yet? If so, how was the ice and were the fish cooperative at all?

Thanks

Rollineyes

Rollingeyes

I am wondering the same thing. I fish Lawrence quite regulary in the winter, but I am back in NW Iowa on Xmas break right now. I plan on heading back on Wed. AM and driving to Lawrence to wet a line at the end of the week. I would guess the main lake has ice, but questionable maybe. The best bet, and a place worth trying is down by the boat houses or the marina. Last year I had good luck down in that area earlier on in the year. It seems has you get deeper into the winter, the fish move out into the main lake more. I would also bet the ice is better down by the marina as well.

If you make it down there let me know how things went.

Walleye #1

I was there on Christmas day. The ice was sufficient--five or six inches. Just stay away from the air bubbles and the shallow areas where the weeds are growing into the ice. The fishing was pretty poor but we were smack dab in the middle of a weather change. Talked to one guy who had done well a few days earlier. Good luck.

Thanks for the report juggs. I had hoped to get there yesterday, but ended up spending the day on South Fork near Caledonia. The numbers were large but the size wasn't. Mostly crappies with a few sunnies thrown in the mix. Also, a couple of small bass.

No Ron, we drove down the minimum maintence road to the bottom. There is a sign at the gate opening that says access to nearest edge of lake only! I am assuming the sign as the top designates it as a township road. If thats the case, I don't think they could keep you from driving down there. He could prevent a person from walking across the pasture to get to the lake though.

This is the lake with the little parking lot and the rope swing 1/2 way down on the left correct? It's been at least 5 years since I've been there, so it could be different.

It's the Big Pond. I don't know about a swing, but there could very well be. I usually fish the little one when I get to go. I seem to have better luck there. The fish seem to run larger on the little one, at least for me. If you need directions, let me know.

Is this the one on the way to Little Miami on the right? The road goes between 2 fields then down the steep hill?

Thats the one. We walked through the pasture on the south side, past the springs in the pond. There was good ice once you get past the open water a ways. The south side of the pond had thicker ice than the north side. Six inches vs four inches.

What do you get down there on a typical day? The last time I fished down there it was like lake Winona. Lots of tiny gills. Maybe a small crappie or two. My 1st trip down there I did catch about a 4 lb bass on a twister tail in a sunken tree.

We caught more small crappies than blugills. Find a downed tree in water and you'll find the small crappies. One of the guys did have ahold of better crappie, maybe a pound. We could see it under the clear ice, but it broke him off. We also caught a couple small bass and one lone carp tongue.gif