Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Team Otter

The Holiday Bite...

11 posts in this topic

I have been in the Redwood Falls/Marshall area since this past Friday, so I was "forced" to fish some water that I do not frequent. But, it's always nice to check on some new water and a change of scenery every now and then isn't bad either. I have spent the better part of the last 4 days chasing down 'eyes and crappies on some of the area lakes S of Tracy and I thought I'd sumamrize in a report for you what I did and did not find, etc, etc.

The walleye fishing was by no means, fast and furious, but there were fish to be caught. The one thing that kept me going back "for more" was the quality of fish. Of the dozen or so 'eyes caught, each fish was at least 16" and we had a few that pushed the 20" mark. Dead-sticking produced most of the 'eyes in 4 - 7' of water. The most aggressive fish were on hard bottom areas adjacent to rock or rip-rap shorelines. From 3:00 - 5:00 pm was the best bite but we did pick off a few fish during the day when cloud over was around. Now, for the crappies, I'm still scratching my head just a bit as to the nicer fishes location. I spent the better part of 2 days sorting through 8 - 10" fish but I kept after those 11 - 14" fish that I knew were around. Well, this morning, I hit the school I had been looking for since Friday. Patience and mobility proved to be the ticket more than anything. During my scouting, I was focusing in 8 - 10' of water in transition areas between muddier, "sticky" bottoms and gravel but all I could muster was the smaller crappies and an occassional young of the year perch. Those young of the year perch had me thinking but I was thinking more of an 'eye bite close by than anything. This morning, well before sunrise, I fished the inside turn of the area I had been scouting in 7' of water on the top side of the "first break" with 3' of water being less than 10 yards away. The big crappies were just stacked in there! I caught fish from 6:00 - 7:30 am before finally deciding to head in and take a breath. It was incredible. I guess the surprise to me was these bigger fishes location, relating that close to a "first break" over a hard bottom. Most of the fish were 2 - 4' down, so virtually right under the ice. There were huge schools of young of the year perch circling in and out of this inside turn and the crappies were right there with them. I quit counting at 30 but heck, I could have reached 50. All but 10 fish were released, with 100% of them being over 11" and a few tickled the 14" mark on my "Hawg Trough" from Hagen's in Mitchell, SD. Glow Optic Stealth in white and green tipped with a large crappie minnow under a float ruled the roost but I also took some fish on a Glow White Ratso and Little Atom purple plastic tail.

The ice conditions were great everywhere I went. 6 - 8" of clear and solid ice was the "norm" but continue to proceed with caution.

I'm headed back for home this afternoon and planning to fish Washington or Tetonka on Friday. Then, it will be time to prepare for a seminar, The Otter Run and some upcoming guide trips on Mille Lacs. For more details on some of these upcoming events, please feel free to visit the South Central forum on this website. A busy schedule but fishin' is better than workin'. smirk.gif

I hope you all had a nice Christmas. Good luck and we'll see you on the ice! grin.gif

Looks to me like you didnt do to bad Jamison. smile.gif

Great post TeamOtter!! grin.gifgrin.gif You da man!!

What can you tell me about this "Hawg Trough." Where can I find one of these?

Dood, what lakes????

Otter,

You are killing us. You pound walleyes from southern mn all the way up north. How bout' a guide trip?

It was part of my presents. smirk.gif

Actually, I've only seen them in SD at a Scheel's and/or Cabela's. They are a great tool for accurate measuring of fish. It's a plastic trough with end plate for butting up of the nose. Perhaps a person could do a Google search and get more information on them being available in MN.

In the Tracy, MN area. grin.gif

minnion,

Fire me an e-mail when you have a chance, info@tightlinesguiding.com. Perhaps we can get something lined up. grin.gif

Two words for you. Lake Shetek

Five words for you. Please send me an e-mail. grin.gif