Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
bigtimeelectric

OTTERTAIL NEEDS A SLOT LIMIT

bigtimeelectric    1
bigtimeelectric

I'm sure this is an old subject, but one that needs to be repeated. The law should read 6 walleyes in possesion between 14" and 18" and 1 trophy over 28" that is it. there is no need to keep fish out of this range, if you can't catch em in the slot go to the grocery store. I've talked to people who say things like well I only fish a couple times a year so I'm not hurting the lake, or I drove all this way and spent all this money I'm bringing something home. I know I'm not alone in noticing the fish don't seem to grow out here, and its not that they don't grow its that I think people are keeping these fish at 10,11,12,13" and then if they would get lucky and catch a 24" they'll keep that also.well anyway I feel that if we had a law that would make these descisions easier for some anglers. Just look at what the pros were saying this summer ie "dinkfest" with the structure and forage this lake has there is no reason we can't have a trophy fishery,like mille lacs I believe, but I am no biologist. I just wanted to see if anybody felt the same way.. happy new year

FM_Mike    0
FM_Mike

I don't know if I agree with a slot limit or not. But I fished the lake 3 weeks last year and caught over 150 walleye. Before anyone gets excited, I only fish C&R. Most of the fish were well in the slot limit you are talking about needing. Of the fish I caught, only about 25% would have been below 15 inches. 50% would have been in your slot, and 20% over the 20 inch mark. I also caught 5 fish over 25 inches. There seems to be may great year classes to provide the lake many years of great fishing. Now again that was just how I did. Maybe I am the acception but I highly doubt it. Selective harvest is always the best way to go if you are keeping fish, but to say that the lake is only a "dink" lake for me is far from the truth.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

Have a great new year. Looking forward to spring. laugh.gif

fishermatt    0
fishermatt

If you want to fish a lake with a slot, go to Big Pine, Little Pine, Little Mac or Lida. OT has been fine with out a slot and will continue to be fine without one. OT has plenty of trophy fish in it. If you aren't catching any, analyze your techniques instead of saying the lake needs a slot.

jerkin'm    3
jerkin'm

There are plenty of all sizes out on OT...A slot wouldn't hurt me any but I don't have any problem eating a 13" fish...well before a 17 or 18" fish too...Like fishermatt said...If you aren't catching big ones, you are doing something wrong... grin.gif

Gissert    17
Gissert

It has also been noted in past DNR sampling reports that Ottertail has slow growth rates compared with other lakes, and this may be a reason for all the cigars.

A slot would not break my heart, but I am not sure it is the answer. By sheer numbers of fish caught, I think the lake is in great shape.

ChuckN    0
ChuckN

<------I've caught plenty of nice walleyes in OT. grin.gif

I have to agree with these posts. Personally, there are not too many lakes in the area where you can go and actually catch the elusive walleye on a regular basis. Sure, there are days where a lot of small fish are active, but a slot has not really crossed my mind. I like seeing a huge diversity of sizes myself...I see what the future holds.

fishermatt    0
fishermatt

I'VE HEARD MIL LACS IS HOTTER THAN BLAZES THIS WINTER!!!

IF I WASN'T STUCK HERE IN OTTER TAIL COUNTY I'D BE THERE IN A HEARTBEAT!!!!!

island guy    0
island guy

I ride the fence on this issue and can see it both ways, at least on OT. It doesn't affect me much as I don't see any reason to keep any fish over 17" anyway. If I'm looking for something to eat I'll keep the smaller ones, or better yet keep some perch or bluegills. I do think OT is pretty healthy fish wise. I just get bugged by people following me too close in the summer or drilling holes all around me at 4:00pm in the winter. I fish a lot of lakes and OT seems to have a high percent of poor mannered fisherpeople.

bigtimeelectric    1
bigtimeelectric

ok all these other lakes don't see the fishin presure ot does also if the few of you who responded out of hundreds don't have a problem catching eaters then why would you be against a slot limit for all the novice fishermen who do. I caught a 24" eye and released it last night and I enjoyed that way more than if I would have killed it. for all you sportsmen out there that practice c&r like I do why wouldn't you be all about this.

bigtimeelectric    1
bigtimeelectric

you know chuck maybe I should start yappin about the great walleye opportunities in clitheral lake yo think

Bigcat1    0
Bigcat1

bigtimeelectric- i agree with you on the slot- i don't think any lake would lose protecting the resource. ottertail may be fine without one-but wouldn't it be interesting to see what would happen. look at canada, look at south dakota- places that all have slots and awesome fisheries. it's funny how defensive some people get- i respect your opinion.

fishermatt    0
fishermatt

For me regarding OT it's less about how it might affect the fishery and more about how I oppose more laws and regulations. Every lake doesn't have to be a "Trophy Fishery" Big Pine has had a slot for a couple years now, and fishing has sucked there both last summer and this winter, at least compared to recent years. OT had a monstrous walleye hatch 2 years ago, like it sometimes does, then you have an over abundance of small fish like right now. 2 more years and all of those will be 14-16 inchers and then you won't have anyting to complain about. This is a lake that doesn't need any "DNR tweaking".

I've fished OT for over 20 years, and it goes through cycles like any other lake.

fishin58    1
fishin58

It turns my stomuch when peolpe are out their keeping cigars and if they do get a larger fish that also goes in the pail. I think Minnesota should also lower the catch limit to three. Besides OT, when a lake is hot it is abused, and I think three is great plenty when they are in the slot. C&R is a beutiful thing. My 2 cents.

veximan    0
veximan

LOW is a lake with a slot limit and lower winter limit as well.

It's difficult to see bigger fish killed but what can you do to change it? It's the people that do kill them that have to realize that the smaller fish are actually better for eating. (maybe just my opinion)

LOW slot is 19" to 28" must be returned. I think this is perfect! 13" to 18" are generally the better tasting fish.

The point I would like to stress and hopefully you will stress it if it's that important to you is around here, people hear stories about bigger fish being killed. I guess for me hearing that and the tone, I've grown to adapt to that way. I think that people will catch on to that and just start adapting to it as well. I wouldn't stress over making a "lake wide, get DNR involved" issue out of it. Eventually people spread the word and they will come around to the fact and it's that influence that people will respect and eventually start practicing themselves.

Think about it...the smaller the morsal the easier it is to handle in the frier. Who wants to flip a huge slab a meat that will just fall apart on the pan???

People will listen and understand your logic...right? I guess that's my pathetic reasoning. grin.gif

Corey Bohn    0
Corey Bohn

The DNR should consider dropping the statewide walleye limit to 4 walleyes, period.

fishin58    1
fishin58

Close smile.gif I still think three and A strict enforcement on taking bigger northerns, the hammer handles need to be controlled. The lake I visited this summer was horrible for hammer handles but early in the year and most of the summer, guys were taking every 5 pound and above northern they could get their hands on, I fish quite a big portion of West Central Mn and i know guys in every area that do this. I am sure you can think of some guys that take every fish like this. I would love a strict slot on Northerns. THis was prolly about 4 cents though.

Mark13:33    0
Mark13:33

I like Corey's idea. Too many people are going to argue the slot limit. I caught 90 walleyes these past two days and kept two. We released a 25 incher kept two 15 inch fish and the rest were 13" or less. The thought of keeping a bunch of little fish sickens me as does keeping anything over 18". I'm picky I know, but a fish over 20" must go back as far as I'm concerned. I love the 1 over 20 rule as that was one of the state's better ideas. Getting back to Corey's idea if we knocked the winter limit down to 3 I think that would be a good idea. A four fish year round limit I wouldl also not be opposed to. The pressure out there this winter is nuts and the best form of fishing on Ottertail are the big perch! They are a great eat...

BassPirate    0
BassPirate

I agree with a slot limit on Ottertail because those are the only fish I ever keep when I go fishing---12 to 13 inchers and an ocassional bigeye for the smoker when I am lucky enough to catch one that big. I think a slot limit does a lot to protect our resources because you can't keep all those breeding fish.

shae1986    0
shae1986

I would love to see a state wide drop in limit of walleyes to 4, it wouldn't even bother me dropping it too two but i know that wont happen. As for a slot, i would be in favor of one but would like to see a miminal size limit.

10,000 Casts    2
10,000 Casts

I have lived on ottertail for 7 years and I completely agree with a slot limit. Every year I say to myself, (Contact Us Please), there is a lot of fish houses out there. With the technology that we have, I think that we have to give the fish a chance to grow up. I was driving down from the pelican bay access with my 334 and navionics chip on my dash and I was driving past houses and they were all on prime spots. Summer is a different story but durring winter, the eyes don't have a chance. It is a big lake but it gets hit hard in the winter. It is a lot easier to catch eyes through the ice then in a 15mph nw wind. Just some thoughts...

John

mikegunnarson41    0
mikegunnarson41

A slot limt on OT would only make sense to me I guess I come lake of the woods country. You dont see any one up in that area keep a 10 or 11 inch eye when there wasnt a slot limt. And for the people that keep a ten or 11 inch eye or smaller you should feed it to your cat because there is not enough meat on there for me to eat.So yes there should be a slot limt on OT People that keep small eyes are sick.Did you know 1 out of 1,000 eyes grow up to full size think about that

ZOOM    0
ZOOM

Quote:

For me regarding OT it's less about how it might affect the fishery and more about how I oppose more laws and regulations.

every time I go fishing on a new lake I have to have that years regs in the boat or the fish house. And I have to really pay attention. I have to agree that maybe a slot limit is needed but why not a state wide slot limit and be done with it.At least then I wouldn't have to re read the law book every time I go out.Of course if you ask the wife she'll say i can't remember a dam thing and thats why I have to carry the regs with me. I wish I could forget were I live somtimes grin.gifgrin.gif

Moses2531    0
Moses2531

Just simply need to reduce the state limit to 3 or 4 fish with only 1 over 20" and we'd never have to worry

threeway    0
threeway

Without a huge debate, we need to take care of the best fisheries in MN. The natural reproduction and stalking in Ottertail lake really makes this lake one of the best. If we take care of this lake by controlling size limits, we will have one of the best lakes in MN. We are sitting on a "gold mine" of opportunities. Some fisherman cannot comprehend which fish are keepers and which fish should be released. If a person would ever sit at a landing on opener and check boats, they would be absolutly sick to their stomach. 10-12 inchers are being taken as limits, by the bucket full. Same goes for the winter fisherman. Of course not all fisherman are doing this, but lots of them this winter decided to make fillets out of these small fish. Then the fish that were great spawners were also being kept. Some anglers just don't care about the future of their resources, and you will never change that. Yes, there are many that do, and we need to step in and help out. Imagine if we changed regs on Ottertail Lake, not only would we have great fishing, but we need to help out business's and resorts. Fast reproduction lakes like OT become absolutly incredible fisheries. Take Mille Lacs, if you have ever fished Mille Lacs it's outstanding. Whenever you can go to a lake and guarantee one fish over 24 inches it's incredible. I believe this is what we could have if we had a slot on OT. Anglers will always have many different arguements, but how can you loose? Having a lake where you could potentionally catch big fish in your back yard. Some will argue that they need eaters, well look around, we are surrounded with lakes that you can do that. We could argue this point until we are blue in the face, but the bottom line is we need to do something before it's to late. Why not fix it, before it's broken!