Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
joeyquicksand*

QUESTION ABOUT ICE FISHING NORTHERN ON SMALL LAKES

joeyquicksand*

My folks live on a small lake where the deepest part gets to be about 9 feet. The only life in it are Northern, perch, and bullhead. I catch northern all summer, but can never seem to catch anything during the winter. I was drilling holes all around it trying yesterday, and was wondering if anyone had some tips on how to fish a small shallow lake in the winter. I drilled a couple holes and pulled up some very fresh looking foliage. I was wondering if maybe i should drill holes on either side of the foliage or directly in the foliage, or any tips would help...

thanks!

SkinnyVinny05

on smaller lakes i always seem to find them in the dead middle of the lake i dont know if its just my luck or thats where they seem to go all i do is go get a few suckers or shinners and put up 2 tips up on a foot or 2 off the bottom and one a a foot or 2 under the ice and i seem to have good luck

hope that helps

tipupguy

if the lake is only 9 feet deep just use tip ups just under the ice level use suckers that arent ungodly big and i like large shiners and if you can bring a buddy or 2 spread your flags out and dont make alot of noise being only 9 feet deep they may spook easy

thirtysomething

I agree with the other posts, i've had great luck in shallow water. it's pretty easy to. I've had flags as shallow as five feet, just below the ice with a nice sucker, or a good shiner just about the weeds. Obviously the more people, the more lines you can have. If nothing else, drop some flags, pull up a chair and enjoy this spring like weather. I'm sure looking forward to cold days to match the cold nights. As nice as it's been to sit on a bucket, i'd rather clam up and light a heater so the lakes can make some ice! shocked.gif

anyfishaldo

My brother and I fish a metro lake that is 2ft-15ft deep and we do quite well at the 6-8 ft range just below the ice with a mix if med. sucker and shiners. Four tipups with action. We get 8 minnows and are done in two-four hours. Make sure to use a bigger hook and a leader.