Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bassboy1645

When does redwing get good?

3 posts in this topic

Hey yall, thinking of hitting the river for some open water in late winter ealry spring when everything else inland is closed?? when is the main rush down there I want to say march or april?? Looking for a crack at a big eye and something alittle different then fishing the same old lakes. Wannag give the river a try. Any dangers or things I should know about??? confused.gif

I haven't been down to the dam for quite a while but the time frame you mentioned is usually good. As far as hazards I'd say watch out for the wing dams on the right channel of the "Y". The rollover side, not the lock side. The hazards are the rock wing dams and they are on the left.

The fishing usually picks up towards the end of Feburary, and peaks at the middle of April but quickly slows down after the spawn.

The fish relate to the current and water temps strongly this time of year. Vertically jigging in the dam area is typically a safe bet for sauger action, while the walleyes take some poking around to find.

As Dan said there are 3 wingdams on the left side downstream of the rollers be carefull of them. There are also usually some logs and other debris floating downstream to watch out for.

mw