• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Otter Mag Bench Seat Issue.

mtheis

Question

I purchased a new seat for myself for Christmas to fit my Otter Lodge and have a problem with the workmanship of the bracket supports.

To assemble the square bracket supports, each bracket uses 4 10-32 machine screws that screw to the bottom of the seat.

They are not square, so I can expect binding when I attempt to slide the seat back and forth. Also one bracket has two screws that I cannot tighten. Either the threads are missing, or they are stripped somehow in manufacturing?

I only wish when I bought an Otter product I didn't have to call customer support, or have to live with an inferior design.

I bought my sled when the square poles evidently first came out. The machine screw studs that fasten the poles to the Otter sled were too short, and on a trip with my buddies the sled actually came apart when it was being towed because the lock nuts backed out because they didn't grip securely. Otter's solution was to mail me reduced sized locking fiber nuts, so they would grip better. I guess this works....but why didn't they just mail me the correct sized pole support thingys? Now I am constantly looking at it wondering when it will happen again. Do I dare take it out on a big trip again?

Then I purchased the Otter Bait Seat that ripped the back of my sled fabric, and falls down when ever the sled is moved over any distance.

[Note from admin: Edited. Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

10 answers to this question

I would call Otter and let them know exactly what all your problems are. I havent experienced any of them with my Lodge but I feel your pain. Nothing worse than paying big bucks for something and then it doesnt perform like you want!

My seat post broke and I called Otter and they took care of me asap and without charge.

I know Otter wants to hear concerns so call them and express your frustrations with them. The only way these things will get fixed is if people give them feedback.

By the way I have owned many different type portables and they all have their own little quirks that I had to deal with.

Just like all the augers, flashers, vehicles and women I have ever dealt with. wink.gif

Mine never really did slide. Is it even intended to slide?

What I did was get some slightly longer screws and put a washer between the bracket and the bottom of the seat. That gave room to slide freely. Also, I put some removable LocTite on the seat screws because mine kept vibrating out if I left them loose enough to be able to slide the seat (before I put in the washers).

I am not sure if it is meant to slide. I got one last year, and when I assembled it, I wanted it to slide.

I just did not tighten down the hardware all the way and it works great for me. I have not lost any hardware in few hundred miles of being towed behind a sled and my quad.

I may be mistaken but I put mine together two years ago and I don't believe they are made to slide. I'm pretty sure I remember the instructions saying to position the seat where you would like and the tighten down the screws when you have it in the right location.

The new ones slide. But I experienced the same as you I couldn't get all the bolts in so I picked up a couple small lag bolts for the ones that I wasn't able to get in. But I would call otter for sure and see it they can help you out. Their customer service is next to none.

Call Otter, explain the problem and they will take good care of you. I have sold Otters for almost three years and they are a very well organized company that will keep their customers happy. As I said, call them...you won't be disappointed.

I called them and talked to Mandy. Their solution was for me to drive out to their facility and they would exchange it. About an hour drive. They also said that I could drill out the bracket and put wood screws in, but that would void any warranty. Also, with wood screws the wood would eventually get wet and rot out the wood. I am going to leave it until the end of ice fishing season. All of this driving around is driving me crazy!

Quote:

Otter's customer service is next to none, or second to none?

Since I am a dumba$$ it would be second to none grin.gif. It has been very good to me. Sorry for any confussion. I would say that if Mandy isn't getting you the answers you want you can always talk to her superior I did that last year and was well satisfied after that.

I would give them another call. I talked with them today and they said that they have been getting some calls about this issue and the said the would send a new one out to me right away. So I can't complain one bit about that.