• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Making a gaff hook

Hookmaster

Question

I plan on making a gaff hook out of a large treble hook and a hockey stick or dowling. Any tips? I think I will snip or desolder one of the hooks and attach it with a small bolt through the eye of the hook. What have others done?

6 answers to this question

I just purchased one and they are cheap. For $10 I got a fiberglass one that has a ruler on it and covers for the treble hook. Got it at Wally World.

I made one a few years ago, similar design but with one big hook. Liked this design, I never like getting multiple treble hooks into a fish cause then you gotta take them out. grin.gif

I don't recommend the treble hook gaffs that you see in the stores. I've went through a few of these especially with bigger fish. The treble tends to come out after a bit of use and always happens on the ones you don't want it to. If you do have success making yours, make sure the hook is reinforced and should be good to go.

i have made some custom ones that i used an old driver out of a set of golf clubs. hack off the end of a one wood and drill out the end hollow. add some two part epoxy i squeezed the line hole on the hook down with a bench vise and slid it into the end of the shaft. walla! nice long gaf for the shack. ... paul

Dang, the golf club is a great idea and I just threw my son's kiddy driver away. I took a 5/0 treble, snipped two hooks off and mounted it with a bolt and nylock nut to a dowel that I had left over from when I made a bunch of ice picks for me and some friends. A little tape on the other end and its ready for action.

I bought one like Northlander only it has 1 hook, not a treble. 12.99. Nice handle with strap for your wrist,ruler and fiberglass.