• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Driving trucks out past pine island

fishforever7

Im heading up on the 26th and we are debating about bringing wheelers to drive out with. I know the road is open but I usually prefer haveing 16 inches before i take my truck on lakes. If anybody could give me some imput on how safe it really is and are most people driving trucks instead of wheelers out now. Thanks

We drove out in a 4wd minivan a week ago today, following Brian from Adrian's out. They opened the road Monday night. 12-15 inches depending on where you were at. Bite was good Monday and Tuesday, but they were hitting very, very light.

I was up there 17th-19th and there was alot of people driving trucks out. I wasn't i found 12-14 inches of ice!!

There even was 3/4 ton diesel out there with a wheel house behind. He did a good at jign the minnows!! I would personally call ADRIANS resort and ask them for the ice and road conditions!!!! There was a few cracks that I wouldnt want to drive next too even with a 1/2 ton!!

Good luck and be safe!!!!

Quote:

We drove out in a 4wd minivan a week ago today, following Brian from Adrian's out. They opened the road Monday night. 12-15 inches depending on where you were at. Bite was good Monday and Tuesday, but they were hitting very, very light.

Were you up there on sunday????

Yes, Sunday afternoon the 17th. Rented a house from them. We asked Brian if they wanted to take us out and he said just follow me. We could have stayed in on the 17th, it was slow. Monday and Tuesday made up for it though.

Got a little crowded in 26' for me so pulled out 2.5 miles past Pine Is. in 29'. Kinda hated to 'cause catching good there but listening to the neighbors generator was not too relaxing for me.

Found a good 14" of quality (see through) ice there.

A little disappointed with the initial bite until I caught a 41" northern which kinda explained the eye absence.

Had to go but my buddy who set up by me just called and said they really hit 'em after I left. Figures.

I'm seeing groups of trucks & wheeler houses together, which makes me shake my head with 3 feet of ice, so don't think you'll have a problem. Ice is very good.

Just got back from over Pine Island on Adrian's Rd this evening (Dec. 24, 2006).

Yes. They are driving trucks out over Pine Island but I've got to admit, I'm not sure if I would have been. There is a nice bridge on Adrian's Rd in 4 mile bay crossing a pressure ridge.

The one & only place we stopped to fish (it was too good to leave!), had 13" of ice. I measured with the tape measure and it read 13" and we were in about 27' of water. I will add that the ice looked very good and clear, but I personally like a couple more inches with my half ton GMC.

Another eye opening experience for the day was when the ice shifted big time. This was in the early afternoon when it was pretty warm. We heard the rumble coming from out in the lake and then it shook the house and made a pretty big boom up near Pine Island. Our transducers were seriously swaying back and forth in the holes. Some guys in Adrian's rental houses got out of the house real quick and were looking around like, what just happened. smile.gif

So to answer your question, people are driving trucks out but I think they are still pushing it a little.

Thanks everyone for all the info I think I will be bringing the wheelers just to make me feel more safe. 13 inches just isn't enough for this guy and the fish aren't worth my life.

fishforever7-

It really is a pretty easy ride out with your wheeler. Most of the fishing is still in fairly close to Pine Island on the lake side.

All I know is when I augered my holes and found 13" of ice, I'm glad my truck wasn't sitting next to me. Everyone has a little different comfort level and 13" is not in my comfort level. I'm always looking for one less thing to worry about and having my truck on shore was one less thing today. smile.gif

Like I said though, there are vehicles running all over the place without incident so far. Its probably alright, but...

Royal Dutchman

I will probably be back up to Your neighbors (Jeff B)after the first of the year ,,keep the reports coming ,,I know NL wants to come up,,, its timing that an issue

Merry Christmass and Happy New Year !!!!!!!!!

Randoid

Need some info. If I want to use Adrians road where do we pay the access fee, and is there a certain place to park my pick-up and trailer when I unload my 4 wheeler? I like to know what the rules are so I don't get someone ticked off at me if I park in the wrong spot.

i'majigger-

You pay your access fee at Adrian's Resort. I believe Adrian's is right after Border Bait Co. as you head towards Wheelers Pt.

Once paid, head back out to the road and go north. You'll drive by the public access on the right, then Wheeler's Pt resort, and you'll see the Adrian's Rd access right after that on the right side of the road. If you get to Wigwam Resort, you've gone too far.

I just parked my truck & trailer on the right side of the road after getting on the lake. There is lots of room there and there are typically some permanent shacks sitting on the ice in this area waiting to be pulled out.

I don't think anyone will hassle you for parking there, just make sure you are out of the way of the road.

We were up in the N. W. Angle and there was 15" of ice. I saw a guy driving a full size truck pulling a big Lund on a trailer across the lake.

Has anything changed with snow conditions? Coming up tomorrow for 3 days, only have either a sled without studs or my diesel truck to get out there with. Think the ice may be marginal with the truck, but not sure if there is enough snow for the glides of the sled. Any help greatly appreciated.

Hey Randy,

Was good to see you again. Sorry the bite wasn't better but low pressure & cold front.....

Moved the big house out to 29' & caught good on Xmas day. Somewhere between scrambling eggs & popping the Asti, M lost an upper 20" eye! Had a real good look at it through the ice but hook pulled out before we could get her through the hole.

Nice mix of eyes & sauger.

Little slower today but left the Marcums setting in the kitchen. Wanted to lay down & cry & M wanted to drive back & get them! Thankfully we didn't forget the cooler!

Opie,

Everyone has a different comfort level but the diesel plow truck that was banking the rental shack beside me today didn't fall through. He was making some noise but not as bad as I expected.

The ice is very good quality & I have been out in my F150 & Explorer to 2.5 miles past Pine Island & plan to go farther this week.

Good Luck!

Doug

I let Jeff stare at My Vex when we fished LOW ,,,he had his own Marcum LX3 by the time I left ,,,Im gonna go fish for pike down here but look forward to the next trip up there

Randy

How much snow is there on the lake right now? I guess I'm wondering if you can get around off the roads with a full sized 4wd truck? I'm planning to go out of Adrians in about 10 days, just curious how mobile we'll be. I realize there could be a lot of snow between now & then.

If the ice is safe with no ridges, you could drive anywhere you want to go....probablly without even putting it in four wheel drive. There is talk of measurable snow before the weekend though, so we'll have to see what becomes of that.

We fished out off pine island on the 26th and 27th and drove wheelers out just to be safe. measured around 15 inches in the places we drove. Almost everyone was driving trucks out but many people not being smart some going 40 mph with 1 ton diesel trucks. confused.gif Snow conditions are very patchy and wouldnt recomend using a snowmobile unless it is studded. Good luck everyone we did very well.

Hey guys, have a friend who is looking into coming up this weekend, he was wondering where everybody is driving on, from what access point? Thanks for the info and ill relay it to him. Hope everyone had a great christmas.

I drove out of Adrians this week but i also know they are letting trucks out of Morris Point and I believe in Zipple Bay.

I just called adrains and they said they have 17" right now in most places, and that they are out about 2mi. past pine island. I am going up tomorrow for the first time this season, can't wait. I'll post my catch when I get back.

Royal Dutchman

I have seen you on the lake. And I think maybe wrong you and your wife own a motel?? If this is you i was up there 17th and 18th staying at your place. Good to see if that everybody having good luck up there!!!!!!!!!!

Pumped up! Getting up to Pine for the first time this year. Heading up january 5th with my grandpa, Man sure hope to get into them! Nice to here daily updates on ice thickness, helps out alot. Of course I will call prior to head up just to make sure but it helps give me an idea. Still mulling on whether to trailer a wheeler up for good measure, I have a 3/4 ton duramax. What you guys think?

Just got back last night. Travel on Adrians road is good. somewhat rough from some small heaves, kind of like rumble stips but easy travel. The road will split at Pine and you can go right along the island and access again further down. Cross ice travel was no problem keep an eye out for some ice shards that are sticking up, but without much snow they are easy to spot. Going east and crossing got us away from a lot of congestion, things opened up a bit more. We were out to 29'. Good luck and hang on. Bill

Muskie Man,

You have the right people. We have the place just east of Baudette on Hwy. 11.

Bite really shut down for us the last 2 days with a very high pressure. My theory is that the 3rd day of a weather trend, the bite straightens out & we sure saw that today. Not a real barn burner but at least marked fish and had them respond to baits. Ended up with a nice bucket of eyes & sauger for the day.

Good number of nice suspended fish.

wow glad you did good, we had to work hard to take five walleyes home all nice fish but had to work hard, they would come in but when i marked them they seemed to raise to my lure but not hit it, i am a jigger and they took the bobbers, i never cought a fish my partners did (Contact Us Please) it i hate being a jigger