Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hovermn

Chisago ice conditions

52 posts in this topic

Anyone know how the ice is going out to the A frame or Eagles nest? I'm thinking about heading out there, but I don't know if I should walk, or if it's safe enough for a sled.

Thanks

You might want to ask at Frankies bait. I was on the channel this morning and there was still plenty of ice. They put guard rails up on the south side so if you go to the A Frame you will probably have to go all the way across the lake with a snow mobile or ATV. Gaps in the guard rails are only wide enough to walk out on.

I was out at the A frame today. I measured 7-8" everywhere. Took off from the main access at the channel and kept near shore. Not to say that this is a good measure, but there were tons and tons of tracks leading out that way. Didn't see a guard rail. Where are they?

On the south side by the bay. Zak at frankies said too many drunken idiots were driving out on the lake and I think the torching of the house last year had something to do with it.

yes the guard rails are up, but, you can get a sled through the opening. The local Snowmobile trail goes through right there so they had to leave an opening big enough for the sleds. I am assuming a wheeler can fit too.

Speaking of crazies...There was a car out on Linwood today! It was parked next to our fishing spot. After a few hours, the guy headed down to the access and drove around the barriors and up a small trail to the parking lot. Why....Why...

There was a car on the ice in the channel Wednesday confused.gif and there were other car tracks in the snow! No way it the ice ready for this. If you do not care about your self please care about the person that will have to try to save you.

I thought I saw car tracks out there, almost straight out, was thinking maybe it was a HUGE wheeler or something...

Gotta wonder about people, to lazy to walk, or they just have too much stuff?

ShawwnyB

Was fishing in the channel on green last night and after a long walk out there again a guy came out in his car frown.gif

are they bitting out there yet? I was thinking about hitting it one of these weekends, maybe see If I cant get some Pannies for din din.

ShawnnyB

was out on chisago last night...caught fish but they were pretty small.

Shawnny, 1 eye 9" on a tip up and 8 crappies all under the 9" min. 3 others out there and only saw them get 1 very small eye and did not see them get any crappies. I would say for the long walk not worth it. If you head out keep an eye on the ice open spear hole on the beaten path out.

fish by the dinerbell. it was pretty good measure 7 to 7 n half with my trusty ruler.. msotly bluegills few over 7 inches biggest 8 n half inches and few small crappies.. crappies was suspending 10 to 15 feet off the bottom. have a nice new year eve!

cheers

Just got home from fishing, Ice isn't to bad, it is actually alot better than I thought it was going to be. A good 7-8 inches of ice and we were out by the A-frame. We did manage to get a few really nice crappies and some nice sunfish as well. As soon as 5-5:30pm hit the fishing was on for about 15 minutes and we couldn't keep the lines down they were hitting so fast but after that wave around 5:45pm it just shut off and I tried everything and lots of different combo to get them to bite and nothing would work. Oh well we had fun for a couple of house.

Thanks for the update. How's the snow cover on the lake? All slush, or is there some actual snow out there? I'd like to take the sled out tomorrow with the portable, but I'd rather not if it's nothing but slush.

While I'm at it, how's the shore line? Holding its own, or sketchy?

Thanks!

hovermn

was in the channel yesterday and on chisago,no slush,just hard refrozen stuff..fishing was slow, 1 3pound bass

my son and i would like to use the sleds also, but untill we get some snow that stays with out rain..

hope that helps you

good luck

Well, stay off Clear lake - big area of Open Water & 2 guys fishing 1/2 way between it & the access........

Yikes !! confused.gif

I was out in the channel checking out the conditions with the sled and saw what looked to be an area of open water where someone may have broken through. It was nearly straight across from the access on the other side of the channel. Anyone konw anything about this? It was open and there were ice chunks around the hole.

Ended up loading the sled up and fished a near by lake for a couple hours. It was slow with only small pannies.

Quote:

hovermn

was in the channel yesterday and on chisago,no slush,just hard refrozen stuff..fishing was slow, 1 3pound bass

my son and i would like to use the sleds also, but untill we get some snow that stays with out rain..

hope that helps you

good luck

When I was out the lake was pretty much solid frozen up slush. There is no snow at all, whats funny is there was two kids on a polaris IQ Racer and a 03 MXZ snowmobiles and the hifax had to be alittle warm after they were done, because there was no snow for any cooling of the sleds.

That's what it looked like when I was out there, but there were a few patches of snow around the channel. I took it nice and easy and B lined it to every snow spot I could find.

Guess no one knows about the hole in the ice. I wonder what that was.

Anyone been down to the south end of Chisago? How's the shoreline ice there?

LOL on my way home last night, there were about 30 vehicles parked on the road.. .It looked like a zoo out there...

There were still about a dozen vehicles there when I drove by at 8:15pm.

That's how it looked on Tuesday afternoon as well. Crazyness!

Does anyone know if there are any thin spots or anything I should worry about out on chisago. I've never fished there and some friends wanted to go this weekend. I was also wondering about how thick most of the ice is. Thanks for any info!!!