• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Well I got My big ice house out of the weeds this weekend. Now were only missing one thing! The last couple of years have been hard on guy. Last year my permanent house never left my parents back yard.

I can remember when I was a kid spearing northerns on bass harbor in early november. This sit and wait game these last couple of years is getting old. Needless to say I'm getting a little anxious. Things aren't looking to good with temps latter this week!

I drove out to a small local lake to see if I could get my boat in yet. Whole thing had a cover on it. So, I did walk on water yesterday. Got about 15 feet from shore ( you can be brave when you can see how deep the water is under the ice).Didn't have a chisel to check the thickness, but it did make a loud crack with me on top. Backed up as fast as a 300 pounder can.

Hitman, if I am thinking of the same one as you, I would think it could happen at anyime. My aunt went up to her cabin on South Twin yesterday and she said that it looked like there was ice all the way across. I don't think it will stay after these warm temps but with the water cooled down enough it won't take much for us to be icefishing.

Weather people.

They keep changing their minds, but WDAY said 5, -6 and 2 for Wed, Thurs. and Fri. lows. I am going with that. You guys with me?

I'm with you all the way! Bring on the cold. I just hope we can get a week or two of good cold weather before we get any snow. I know that aint what the snowmobilers want to hear, but every man for himself!

I think that I will be giving the ice a try next weekend. I have a couple of spots in mind that freeze early and I would think that they will have at least 4" after this week if the weatherman is right. The last forecast I saw they were talking below zero for the low on Thursday. I don't know how many more times I can set up the house in the garage without going crazy. I am starting to get very stange look from the wife when I sit in that thing with the heater going.

Yeah, I hear ya. I am fixing up the inside of my perma. house and my wife thinks I am nuts. "You spent $150 on paqnneling -- are you nuts? Who is going to see it ?"

I told hear I was going to impress my girlfriend and she was not impressed.

She said that she hopes "Al" does not count as my girlfriend.

She can be pretty funny. mad.gifcrazy.giffrown.gif

Weather update --

Wed-Sunday -- Lows in single digits highs around 12-16.

Hope that holds and we dip into the negative numbers.

Yeah, I left for Wisco this past Wednesday with the boat hooked up for storage... As I was leaving, it was so nice out that I contemplated leaving it up in Fargo for at least a couple more weeks of real late Fall fishing... It's a good thing I took er back! I saw the old man this past weekend at his house in Wisco (amongst 58 degree weather and sun!) and he said quote, "yeah, it's supposed to be an El Nino year!"

Yeah, I go back home every year in mid December to ice fish at my Dad's cabin in middle Wisco, but with 58 degrees sustained this time of year, it will be tough! It's supposed to go into the 30s and 20s this week. We'll see if that's enough to cap that body of water over...

The MN lakes should be good to go real soon! I will be test setting up the ol Clam Shell sometime this week as well - my wife will also be laughing when I sit in there with the heater as well... Ice fishing really is right around the corner now!!

it seems that most all iced over small lakes/ponds still have some open water on them, heck, even smaller ponds too.

we need to loose the wind...

I drove by a few smaller sloughs/ponds and was surprised that they were as open as they were. I don't think there will be fishable ice this weekend like I had hoped, but by the weekend after I think it should be good to go. It can't come soon enough.

Dead --

What handywork? I have been chasing my tail with the muzzle loader. I need to start working on the inside of the house. Cold weather is on the way. cool.gif

I know what you guys are saying, but if it gets as cold as they say for the next few days I think some stocking ponds will be ready.

If you guys really want to fish -- Perham will have good ice before we do.

I was at my folks place over the weekend on Big Toad Lake and it had ice over a little more than 3/4 of the lake. Walked down to the lake with a chisel just to see how thick it was on shore and I would say that it was 2"-3". I couldn't figure out why it had so much ice and the slough a 1/4 mile down the road was wide open.

That is crazy. I should check Swede Grove, sweet Grove, Highland Grove and that slough with 'eyes in it. grin.gifgrin.gifcool.gif

rain + wind + above-freezing temps = no ice mad.gif

what gives? I'm fed up with this weather pattern already. When we finally do get ice it will be so crappie due to the freeze/thaw and fragmentation action.

Its pretty cold out today. Right now my themometer is ready 4 degrees, but the wind is blowing pretty good. I bet by the middle of next week some of us will be on hard water.

Not if this stupid (contact us) wind doesn't stop clowing. So we finally get cold weather and the wind has to blow? Unreal.

Mad.

Well forcast sounds nice and chilly all week. I noticed the Goose River runing through Mayville was frozen over on Monday when I drove through there. I still have not put my boat away so mayber there is some hope for anohter nice wind free day of boating. Probably not but my protable is not ready yet.

I have heard that a cold wind is good for making ice because it stirs the water around and makes more of it cold enough to freeze. Then when the wind calms down at night, we got ice. Hopefully I can get out next week if it stays cold.

Wind whent down last night and will be down for a while i hope that was enough to freeze most lakes. It will be windy most days for a while.