Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bturck

WaveyDavey

14 posts in this topic

Stopped on the way back from up north, there is ice from end to end. Hope you got that piece of dock out, but then with temps climbing through mid week, we might need the boat again. Have a good Turkey Day. Bill

The lake was completely open on Sat., froze over Sat. night/Sun. AM, was 19 degrees. Might open up again this week with warm temps, after thanksgiving weekend the temps plunge and the ice will be there to stay. Still dock fishing (taking it out thanksgiving weekend). Actually fished yesterday, small pockets of open water along shore.

Does that qualify as "ice fishing" ?!

I think it qualifies as obsessive! grin.gif

Dave, I don't think it qualifies unless you need the auger to drop the line. Obsesive, ya probably. Bill

Let us know when the ice is thick enough. I'd like to try some early ice fishing this year.

mplsplug: Will do. I might just head up Saturday morning and spend the night. Won't even venture onto the ice, but might just get an early start on spring leaf burning. I'll let you know if I go, and what the ice conditions are. Going to cool down again next week, so it can't be to far away. Headed to SD for the final pheasant shoot on the 6th, after that bring it on. Bill

Went to the cabin on Saturday and cleaned up some more leaves, head start on spring work.... the lake is still locked up solid shore to shore, and border to border. Hopefully the rain stays away this week and the temps stay cool. Took a couple of steps out from shore, can't be more that an 1 1/2" of ice you could see the water move under your feet. I was only in a 1' of water so pretty brave. It'll be awhile yet, but it will happen. Bill

I hope to get out there before the first coat of snow. It's pretty cool to be on a clean sheet of ice.

Yeah it is, but a little eerie as well. If the rain doesn't beat it up and we can get some single digits during the nighttime hours I would think another week to 10 days should give us some good walking ice. Bill

I'd almost hope that the rain we get melts it all again so we don't have an uneven choppy base that could cause issues early and in the spring. I don't think there will be enough sun though, but maybe if we got some strong winds?

Right now the surface is as smooth as silk, it would be nice to see the rain stay away and just keep freezing. There hasn't been any breakup or pile up from the wind, so it is a nice surface. i guess we'll have to see what mother nature sends us. Bill

This rain should add a 1/2" of water on top of the ice, which when it freezes again should give us a head start on the thickness!!!!! Is that a viable theory frown.gifBill

Bill,

You know the answer to that theory. grin.gif

Guys, its coming. We'll be fishing late next week. Just be patient. Remember, you are dead a long time.

So much for my theory 'eh. Talked to Steve Bowe at Bowes Landing this morning regarding some business, but he said the lake started to breakup yesterday, but this morning when I talked to Denise she said its solid again, and it was cold. You're right another week or 10 days is not worth a dunk in the drink. The long range forecast now does not appear balmy for sure. Bill