Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
deadminnowcatcher

zipple bay resort

6 posts in this topic

Looking at going to zipple bay resort the 1st week of january. We would be renting a day house from them. How are there fish houses? And is the fishing ussually good in there location that time of year?

I fished up there last winter in early January. They had nice fish houses, but the fishing was slow. When we were up there the fishing was slow for everyone, so it was not just them. I fish out of the angle side of LOW and have had much better fishing.

Don't compare last year to a normal year on LOW. Last year was not normal. The south shore is usually pretty darn good. I have filled my belly with many meals of south shore walleyes over the years.

Last year when we were up in the beginning of January I remember a couple of the guides telling us the water clarity was really bad. I guess it had something to do with the bad ice and warmer temps.

I only pray for a solid cold winter.

Zipple Bay area is pretty good fishing year 'round and at

the peak times, like early ice, it's as good as it gets

anywhere.

Zipple also can boast the first fishable ice along the

south shore.

Dont worry about it, if the fish are biting they will be

biting at Zipple.

The resort has a bunch of houses, I would imagine they

have some older ones and some newer ones since it is an

ongoing project but I would think the day houses will be

comfortable and functional

Good Luck Fishin

Ice fishing has become the mainstay for most of the resorts in this area and most have got their equipment and locations down pretty well. I say this only so that what I'm about to say about Zipple Bay Resort is not taken as a knock against any other operation.

ZBR runs a first class winter operation. I day trip there a few times per winter and a group of buddies from so. mn. and I rent fishouses and a cabin there mid-January every year(since 1991). I like the plowed roads better than riding a track out there. ZBR has recently purchased a pigpile of office chairs and nearly all of their houses have them. Owners are very friendly and they and their staff are always helpful. Hard to go wrong here.