• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice chisel Sharpening question

I have ice fever . . . .Does anyone know of a local business that sharpends ice chisels? I have the Mille Lacs model, which has the layered "teeth", rather than a straight edge. I'm assuming it will be tougher to ind someone who an sharpen this?

Any advice? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

It's easy enough to do yourself-just use a flat file and work into the edge (from the bottom up). Just work with the angle and leave just a hint of a flat edge (1/32 to 1/16th of an inch), as a razor edge will "fold over" and dull quite quickly. Hope this helps-otherwise I would think your local hardware store would appreciate your business for a small fee wink.gif

Hmmmm... I just looked up the model and I see it has hardened steel. It might be tough to sharpen with a flat file, but you could still give it a whirl. Also, with the hardened steel, you could go razor thin as the edge won' curl over easily. Your local hardware store should still be a good option.