• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

5" of ice?

Chris Haley

just got off the phone with a buddy who just got back from the lake, said he was up there all morning ice fishing, of course i didnt believe hom so i called West wind and asked if they had people going out yet, and the reply i got was "yeah there's some stupid ones" she also told me that there was anywhere from 1-6" of ice. I might be heading up on sunday morning if the ice holds

"Some dumb ones"??? I can't wait to get out either, but I'm not going to try my luck just yet. My luck, I would be the one to find the thin ice! I'm chompin at the bit, and once I hear a report of solid ice with nothing under 5" being found, then I just might wonder over that way and give it a go. If you do go out, be careful and make sure you have someone with you. It also might not be a bad idea to have a PFD on you as well...Good luck.

Roger's website has a photo and report of the lake this morning being pretty much wide open. From looking at that photo, which is of the south shore, I can't imagine there's any ice out there anywhere. Check it out do a search for Roger's if you don't have it bookmarked already.

Big piles appeared about 1 mile out a couple of days ago. The ice that made those piles came from somewhere. grin.gif Buddy Hillman has been out about 3/4's of a mile and decided that was far enough. If Buddy isn't out further then that yet I'm staying right on shore.

Catmanlee you are wise to think as you do. If you need to get a fishin fix in get ahold of me and we could drop the kicker boat in the Rainy river and jig up some Walleyes no problemo. I'm anxious for the ice too but till it's safe I'll sit in a boat and catch fish.

I was up there today at the cabin. I can tell you there is an ice ridge about 200 feet out and then ice about another 200 feet before the water starts. It's only 1 1/2 feet deep where the ice ridge is. You wouldn't catch me out there yet!!! LOL

Fisky, trust me it's tempting!! All my summer stuff is put away though. Got all my ice gear out today and went through everything, won't be too much longer.

The nice thing about Upper Red, is you can walk out a long ways before actually being in "danger" with the shallow water. But I can guarantee you, if there is ANY open water on the lake, I'm not going out!

We have had ice on the river here in town for about a week now, and I've been real tempted to try close to shore, but even there it's still deep enough for me to drown...so I'm gonna wait a bit longer. If the ice stays on through next week and doesn't melt, I might take my heavy bar down and check out the shoreline areas and see what it looks like as far as ice thickness. The area I want to fish is only like 20ft from shore, so I don't need alot of good ice, just need good ice in that spot?

My biggest concern, is if people see me down there, they might think it's alright to go out on the river with out knowing any better. Or they might say "look at that dumb@$$!" wink.gif

Next weekend, I'm going to Duluth for the WPSA SnoCross races, so hopefuly the following weekend will bring me some good ice?

Talk to ya'll later.

Trouble with a big lake like Red is plates of ice move around all the time. During the night a 5" thick piece could shift 10' east and the crack could freeze over looking just like everything around it...until you walk on it.

NO early ice is safe ice especially the bigger lakes. I will wait and take my shower in the house and not the lake.That water is cold.

I would wait until after December 9th. That is when the fire department and first responders will be conducting their ice rescue training. They might be a little rusty before then, and who knows how long it would take to pluck you out.

Be calm and wait for good ice. Upper Red Lake likes to move and heave and crack.

If you have to go, Take a pair of Ice picks, and try to roll out after fall in, and always remember to swim for the dark spot not the light.

Better idea, stay the heck off of questionable ice. I did the whole in the ice water rescue bit with a local fire department a few years ago when I was lighter and stronger. I was all decked out in my wool, boots had the same wieght in my pockets as a GPS, phone, wallet etc etc. I was standing in 5' of water and no chance at all of me getting back on the ice, then it took three firemen to pull me and my water logged gear back up after several attempts of me trying to get the rope around myself. I was only in the water for a short time and the simple task of putting a loop of rope around me was almost impossible. That was an eye opener.

Remember that URL is not an area where you usually will get a 911 response in minutes. It most likely will be up to you or you and your buddies to save yourselves. IF,,,,,, you can get yourself out of the hole and back onto the ice can you walk back to shore before hypothermia sets in???????

No doubt. When I was in it was a training drill alongside the dock at the city boat landing and just walking back to heated tent was painful. I couldn't imagine attempting to go 1/2 mile or more to a barren lake shore.

They did ask if I wanted to be one of the test subjects again the following year, no way. It is actaully very painfull not only when you get that cold but warming back up is not so much fun.

It was one of the few times drooling, getting sick, shaking and general loss of muscle control kicked in without Vodka. grin.gif

Had a couple of folks that had also heard there was 5" of ice so one couple went up to the southshore just to take a look see and said that they did see some open water (like Morts and Rogers reported) and a couple! of spots near shore they took a couple of steps out and then stepped right back. Last nights temps were in the teens, but now it's 38 and sunny and some warm sunny days in the forecast..so let's hold on and wait for the good word from KellyP!

I talked to Tim W and Buddy last night and it sounds like the ice is 5 to 6 inches thick in 8 feet of water roughly 1/4 mile out. The ice there is whitish and filled with snow/air bubbles. After that the ice is clearer but a lot thinner. The forecast has us in the 40's for highs all week.

Quote:

"is whitish and filled with snow/air bubbles." "The forecast has us in the 40's for highs all week."

Looks like I will be painting the living room instead of chasing tip-ups this coming weekend.

Quote:

Maybe a painting party Jonny.
smile.gif

Tried that trick when painting the kitchen. I ended up having all the beer drank, food eaten, the grill got busted and the only thing that got painted was a "graphic" picture in white primer.

I've been getting some personal E-mails and phone calls wondering why some of the other forums are posting about "5 inches of ice a mile out" and how good the ice is and it is time to go fishing while on this forum I'm suggesting that we hold back a little until we get better ice.

I just do not feel that getting fishermen into the area faster so some money can be made is worth the chance of someone dying. I trust what Tim from Westwind and Buddy say because I know that they know the lake and have been out there. They both feel that if a person is CAREFUL they can get out to just beyond the last sandbar and 7-8 feet of water. But even in that area cracks have opened up and refroze and have only 1 to 2 inches of ice. The person that posted about being out 1 mile with 5 inches of ice? Buddy was on the lake the same day out as far as 3/4's of a mile before he decided that it was too shaky to be out that far and headed back in. NOBODY else was even remotely close to being out that far.

If anyone is out there Thanksgiving Day be aware of the wind. An east wind is forcasted for that day. With open water out deeper this ice sheet could break lose and drift west. I don't think anyone wants to be riding along on a sheet of ice that is breaking up as it goes 20 miles. shocked.gif

We're all eager to get out there fish but I feel that this is a good time to respect Mother Nature so be careful if you're out there.

Great call Kelly .The area I was fishing on yesterday is now 100 yards of open water.When that freezes over look out your talking going from 7 inches to a glaze in 8 feet of water.

Quote:

I don't think anyone wants to be riding along on a sheet of ice that is breaking up as it goes 20 miles.
shocked.gif

Not to mention, once you cross the reservation line on what's left of the ice sheet, your tipups, ice rods, and auger will all be confiscated and you'll end up in court! grin.gif

Forget it save your gas money here on the southshore there is no ice past the 2-3 ft. water depth. High wind today the lake is solid white caps.

I was thinking about being on a piece of ice floating East during a off shore wind. Just imagine how the chunk would get smaller as the waves got bigger all while the depth increased. Talk about a bad situation getting worse.

I would rather die after saying "hey watch this" instead of slowly sinking to the bottom in ice water.

Be ready halad,,, the wind Thanksgiving Day pushes this ice chunk out into the middle of the lake. Then (ominious music) a strong NW wind picks up and sends it crashing into the south shore. You'll then need a periscope in your house to see the lake over the ice piles. grin.gif

Cookie, just take your casting rod out there. grin.gif It is amazing how far the ice moved. The last time I looked Buddy's road markers had to be off by 1/4 mile just to the north where there supposedly was solid ice.

Thats going to be one winding road if he leaves them where they are.I.m glad I did not listen to the greek as he wanted me to take colorado out.It would be floating on a chunk of ice now or sunk to the bottom