Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishwax

Horseshoe Chain

61 posts in this topic

My rental cabin is on Horseshoe right behind the two little islands with the blue cabins on them. Does anyone know if I can advise my renters if there are any typical trouble spots on the ice. Is it bad under bridges? Can it be done with a snowmobile between Horseshoe and Long or Cedar Island Lakes? Any info will help. Any good holes for pannies?

Be extremely careful on areas where the Sauk flows. Neckdown areas, bridges, etc.

Good fishing,

Corey Bechtold

To ease the tensions for those that are itchin' to hit the ice, I drove along the Chain yesterday and most of the lake had skim ice on it cool.gif The lakes in the area are ready, all we need is a good blast of artic air to come our way.

I think old man winter will be knocking on our doors Thursday. Get your equipment ready because I would say the week of December 4th will have us on some of the smaller lakes.

Be safe when you are out and good luck!

Anyone walking around out there yet on Horseshoe?

saw 5 or 6 different houses on the lake around noon today. Still to early for me. And they weren't close to shore.

As stated there are a few houses on the chain and I did see a few guys out on the breaklines. The chain froze over on Friday so waiting a few more days will help. Right now the ice thickness varies from 2-4 inches max

My buddy had e-mailed me news that the chain had houses on it. Not sure where he heard it: if here or someone else. Regardless we are talking portables correct IceHawk?

Still amazes me the chain has walkable ice. Especially with current going through there and it has only been 5 days now with sub zero temps?!?

Saturday 12-4-06 2:00PM,

A- Houses (3) on Rice North Bay plus one Wheel house at landing.

B- Houses (2) on Rice Southeastern Bay right out of Fisher.

c- Houses (6) on Horseshoe portable, (South of 22 bridge, west side)

d- Houses (3) on Mud (Vails), one on the South end (2) on the North side, East of the culvert.

Be careful out there.....

river-rat4

Captain those were portables, There are 2 permanents out there also and Schneider and Becker lake also have a few houses.

anyone been catching any cats out there yet?

Got out to chase those lovely cats this weekend and oh what a weekend it was. Fished saturday morning and sunday night with a buddy and found a honey hole of nice sized cats. 22 cats in all. all catch and release. The biggest one was around 11 pounds, most fell into that 4 to 6 pound range. great weekend of fishing. In the two years of icing cats this is the first time out that a dead stick caught more fish than jigging. The best jig was a plain red hook with half a fathead about 5 to 10 inches from the bottom. One small bone to pick with the horseshoe locals. why are people catching cats and leaving them to die on the ice. Doesnt sit well with this guy. confused.gif

all in all great weekend for cats.

I hate to see the cats on the ice too. I for one won't hesitate to report a some one for that.

I would like to fish for catfish through the ice but i do not know were to start since i am new to the area and never fished the chain before

For early season ice i would focus on lakes that are know to have good ice like Horshoe lake and Cedar Island. Later in the year you can venture out to parts of the river but i am not that daring this time of the year. This year i have focused on break lines that are sharp between 12 and 23 feet of water and look for fish with the camera or vex. The water is pretty clean right now and the cats are not hard to find on the camera.

This is a "tradition" of many people out there although I will say that the amount left on the ice is decreasing. When I first started fishing out there ~10yrs ago if I noticed that someone was catching them and throwing them on the ice and were about to leave I would ask if I could have them nothing beats a meal of those kitties. I can't wait until I can get out!

To find cats look in the basins. Please catch and release. There are a lot of Closet catfisherman around here. No one likes to admit that the enjoy catfishing. I think it is slowly changing due to their incredible sport.

Quote:

There are a lot of Closet catfisherman around here. No one likes to admit that the enjoy catfishing. I think it is slowly changing due to their incredible sport.

Guess I've been out of the closet for a couple years now. smile.gif

I don't think you'll find a more fun fish to fish for. Pound for pound, they fight harder than just about anything out there not including Lake Sturgeon. And they are quite delicious too.

Quote:

Guess I've been out of the closet for a couple years now.
smile.gif

Oh jeez. I knew it!!! grin.gif

Chris,

It was nice to see you at Thore Bros. Wednesday night.

Glad to hear you have had some luck on the ice recently.

If you head up to the Rush Lake, Cambridge area, we could head out and I could teach you ( I could learn) a few tricks....

It was nice talking to you, I had the "flat top" hair cut.

Never had a chance to hide my love of cattin'- went straight from "never having done it" to "withdrawls until I can do it again"!

Thanks to FM and specifically the Cat men on here for opening my eyes to a great passion! See you on the ice(or water!)

The cats are still going strong. This morning was another great one. Got to take my dad, brother and one of my dad's friends out for the kitty cats. the dont get to fish cats very often around alexandria so it nice when they get to come here and the fish are on. We ended up keeping 20 cats and released a bunch more. Great day to be on the ice. ice conditions for us where very good with a solid 6 inches and 2 weeker inches on top. Well good luck fishing

Anyone know of any cabins for sale or for rent on the chain?

Hey Everyone,

Was thinkin about trying Cedar Island next week during Christmas break for cats. This will be my first time fishing for cats through the ice, and I have only fished them in the river. I looked at the map again of Cedar and noticed that there is a little back bay that is 75 feet deep. Would it be good to try along the sharp breaks there, or stick to the main lake? Also you said that you look for them with your camera, so do you see them suspended swimming around fast or just hanging around the bottom?

Thanks for any help.

They usually are in the basins nearest any current or summer area. I wouldn't recommend a camera because the cats are suspended most of the time and are hard for me to pin point with a camea. They are easy to spot on a flasher. Don't stay in one area waiting for them to come to you. They move and do not seem to relate to anything as far as structure or certian bait fish. If you are lucky and catch some remember CPR "catch photo release". If you put some time in you will catch some.

Eric Paulson

The structure that i have been fishing they are hanging around the bottom. You will see them come through suspended ocasionally but i have been fishing shallower water this year. they seem to be suspended more when you are fishing the real deep water. Also this year when we have found a school of cats we have been able to camp on them all day. Good luck Huntin