Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mattkimk

Echo trail ice fishing questions

9 posts in this topic

Hey everybody. A friend and I have a few questions about a trip we want to take to do some ice fishing on the Echo trail. Well on the lakes on the Echo trail anyhow.

1. I know it is a minimum maintanence road so does it get plowed at all? We are looking to maybe get up there around the 2nd week of December

2. If we were to try Lake Jeanette, which would be the best way to go. Either up from Ely or in from Crane lake direction?

3. Any recommendations as to a smaller body of water (i.e. up to 500 acres) that may be ok for Walleye, Perch, or Northerns?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

1. The Echo will be plowed if there is snow. St. Louis County Plows it. If you are going on any other roads off of the Echo that may be a different story. There may be a lot of snow or next to no snow the 2nd week of December. You might luck out and any other road may be drivable. If there are timber sales that need that road for access it may be plowed. I guess the best I could tell you is that it's a crap shoot.

2. From the Crane Lake direction you would have a little shorter drive on the Echo Trail. Are you staying some where? If you stay in Ely it would be better to drive up the Echo right from there, otherwise you would be driving way out of your way.

3. There are a ton of lakes up there. Pick up a Sportsmans Connection map book for St. Louis County. They are well worth the money. Over 170 lakes in SLC. There is a new version out too. I have an older version and I love it. I can't wait to get the new one.

Good Luck on your trip.

Don't forget to pack a chainsaw when you travel the Echo in winter.

Finns.

What do I need a chainsaw for?

The chain-saw is a must those roads that are not maintained there could be a tree that blew over the road or might blow over be-for you leave confused.gif. This could save you time and make the trip safe good luck on your trip smile.gif.

You don't need a chainsaw. You can get by with a hand saw, the bow saw type that's pretty cheap and a lot of folks have laying around the garage. Just chuck it in behind the seat. In three and a half years of going up the Echo almost every weekend and in all weathers, I've yet to see a tree down I couldn't drive around or over, but all it takes is once to ruin your whole trip, so that bow saw is always in my truck.

Bow saw not chain saw because you'll only need to make two or three cuts to get a tree off the road, unless it's a real monster, and even then you'd only need to make a couple/three cuts to get rid of an eight foot section so people can drive through.

Guess I should have said 'pack a saw' blush.gif.

Finns.

Hey no big deal Finns. Just didn't want the guy thinking he had to pack the power saw. The less you bring, the less that can get stolen out of your truck. grin.gif

Too true Steve. Also alot less chance cutting a leg off shocked.gif with a pack/bow saw.

Finns.