• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Johan Cytana

lawdog

I totally thought that was last year, but you are right. I can't believe I blanked out an entire year from my memory banks...yes I can, who am I trying to kid!!!

It should be back to back to back for johan, him not winning it last year was a joke.

There are only 5 pitchers in MLB history that have won two unanimous Cy Youngs. Johan, Pedro Martinez, Clemens, Maddux, and Koufax. Pretty impressive company.

By the way Commanche and Windy. Notice that all your boys Commanche would never trade for Johan didn't even get a sniff of the trophy. tongue.gif

Thought I would stir the pot around here. It was getting kind of boring in the old sports forums. grin.gif

It was a relief to see Johan as the winner, and a unanimous choice once again, as well. (Now, if Morneau can be awarded the AL MVP instead of the Skankee's Derek Cheater, all will be well...)

He is the best pitcher in baseball and will be for a while. The only one I think that has a chance to be better is recovering from surgery right now.

Hope we can keep him for that new stadium!

Windy really deep down knows Johan is "the greatest pitcher to ever rub a rosin bag" anyway so don't look for any comments on his "greatest starting 5 any team has ever fielded" not getting a sniff.

(Please don't bring up the miserable N-Side staff Windy)

I just hope that the great YO-Han can pitch two days in a row next year since he will be without the next greatest pitcher ever to rub a rosin bag, the almost as great Lir-E-ah-NOOOOOO! as in NO Pitch in 2007. I got's a spoon myself and I know how to stir the pot too!

And bye the bye, does YO-Han have one of these rings that is shown to the left here??? Just axe-in?

Windy

Stirring it? The darn thing is gonna bubble over the way you are ignoring it I think.

PS Ok Mr. WCWH, stop Living in the Past! Do the Sox Fantastic5 have any jewelry that is a bit more modern?

Come on Geno,

Their rings are only a year old. The ones that the Cubbies are wearing have stalagmites growing on them, or are they stalagtites??? ZING!!! Keep stirring the pot, pass me the big stick.

Windy

Quote:

ZING!!! Keep stirring the pot, pass me the big stick.

Spoken like a true fan of a third-place team.

White Sox close to dealing Garland

The White Sox are close to trading right-hander Jon Garland, according to a rival executive, and the Rangers appear to be the most logical fit.

The Rangers pursued Garland at the general managers' meetings in Naples, Fla., and White Sox G.M. Ken Williams is intrigued by several of the Rangers' pitching prospects.

Minor-league left-hander John Danks likely would be part of any Rangers package for Garland, a sinker-baller whose style would adapt well to Texas' hitter-friendly Ameriquest Field.

The Orioles and other clubs also have engaged the White Sox in talks about Garland. The White Sox have been seeking young pitching for one of their veteran starters.

A deal between the White Sox and Rangers also could be expanded to include White Sox center fielder Brian Anderson. The Rangers could lose center fielder Gary Matthews Jr. to free agency.

Garland, 27, is signed for $10 million in 2007 and $12 million in '08. He has worked 211 or more innings in each of the past three seasons and won 18 games in each of the past two. However, his ERA rose from a career-best 3.50 in 2005 to 4.51 last season.

So last year CJim was talking about how he wouldn't trade Garland for Santana and now the Sox are about to trade Garland for a minor leaguer with a career record below .500 and a ERA over 4.28. His minor league stats are below.

Minor League Totals - 4 Season(s) 21 30 4.20

Yes Windy, I got the spoon out but I am not really calling you out as you do show up on a regular basis despite some well planned vacations and computer problems. wink.gif I was hoping that CJim would respond as these statements were his. Besides, I think we already put your greatest staff to ever rub a rosin bag thought to rest. grin.gif

Fishy,

Thanks for "not calling me out". I can sleep better tonight! As for my vacation, it is the same two weeks every year, last week in July and first week in August. Anything else is spur of the moment, like trips to Fla or Vegas. And my "computer problem" was the one and only time that I upgraded from dial up to high speed broadband where it took the dude three days to get everything hooked up, sorry!

Anyway, a smart GM knows when to hold em and knows when to fold em and I think Kenny has done a pretty good job of that. It is always dangerous when you trade one of your guys who is or has been on the top of his game for several years and Big Jon definitly fits that catagory. You have to give talent to get talent and I will go along with him if he sees some future pitching prospects that look good. If you don't do this you turn into the Cubbies, an overpaid overaged team that has a few underachieving "superstars" that have long term contracts that keep you from improving the team for many years.

I guess we will have to wait and see how this plays out.

Windy

Quote:

Fishy,

Thanks for "not calling me out". I can sleep better tonight! As for my vacation, it is the same two weeks every year, last week in July and first week in August. Anything else is spur of the moment, like trips to Fla or Vegas. And my "computer problem" was the one and only time that I upgraded from dial up to high speed broadband where it took the dude three days to get everything hooked up, sorry!

Anyway, a smart GM knows when to hold em and knows when to fold em and I think Kenny has done a pretty good job of that. It is always dangerous when you trade one of your guys who is or has been on the top of his game for several years and Big Jon definitly fits that catagory. You have to give talent to get talent and I will go along with him if he sees some future pitching prospects that look good. If you don't do this you turn into the Cubbies, an overpaid overaged team that has a few underachieving "superstars" that have long term contracts that keep you from improving the team for many years.

I guess we will have to wait and see how this plays out.

Windy

Sounds like the 2006 Chicago White Soxs!!!!!!!!

Brian

Quote:

If you don't do this you turn into the Cubbies, an overpaid overaged team that has a few underachieving "superstars" that have long term contracts that keep you from improving the team for many years.

Windy you seem almost prophetic now with Soriano's $136 million contract.

Hope it isn't another Nomar fiasco.

Just keeping the NSide as Chi-town's favorite team by adding Soriano along with Ramirez' big K extension and of course having Sweet Lou to manage them.

The Cubbies will always be Chicago's favorite team.

PS Windy, you did it again - please answer the question, don't change the subject - do the WSox have any more modern jewelry than that bawdy ring from the season before last?

Never mind, don't bother. We already know 3rd place doesn't warrant jewelry. 3rd place warrants the GM trying to trade the winningest pitcher ever to rub a rosin bag on the SSide.

Geno,

I guess a fifth place (or was it sixth?)finish warrents extending a huge contract to a moody, lazy sometimes hitting third baseman who seldom runs out ground balls and then signing the teams life away to a homerun hitting second baseman who will most likely hit with the bases empty 50% of the time since he is leading off the games with the bases empty and then batting after the 8 and 9 hitters (worst and pitcher spots) Enjoy watching Soriano hit those solo taters in Wiggly as the Cubbies lose and their payroll skyrockets. You will look back on the Slammy Sofa days as the "bargain years".

Windy

Geno, I hope it all works out for your cubbies, but I am siding with Windy on this one. The Cubs are overpaying guys big time. They are also not getting any younger. That Soriano contract is ludicrous. His OBP is poor at best, and he strikes out a ton. Not worth what the cubs gave him.

We'll see, but the approach of spending money just to spend it and make news has usually been the best way to be a bad team.

In my eyes, overpaying only matters when you can't afford it or there is a salary cap. Neither applies to the Cubs.

As far as the leadoff position goes. I believe he hit 46 HR and had 95 RBI while batting from the leadoff position more often than not. It would be interesting to see his numbers from the leadoff spot vs. batting 3rd but anyone who is averaging 93 Runs, 102 RBI, 34 HR, and 35 SB a year will improve a lineup no matter where you put him.

See Geno,

There are somethings we can agree on. Is Alphonso the new Slammy??? Time will tell.

Windy

Nobody besides BigMac can outslug Sammy.

Dye gave it his best, but Howard is the closest, and Soriano is more an all-round guy like Dye.

Buy you knew all that already. Your comment is trying to lead toward negativity toward Sammy, who you just like to slam. Won't do it to any WSox or ex-WSox but just because he was a Cub......although I understand because I feel the same way about WSox players.

So, do you hate Cotts now too? I happen to love the guy (now).

Geno,

I will always slam "Slammy" because I believe he is one of the "steriod-sluggers" that will taint baseball for years to come. I put Big Mac in that category as well. I don't think he was "roiding" when he was on the Sox. He was a shadow of himself today and had very little power. It was after he started taking his "Flintstone" vitamins up in Wiggly that his head grew and his biceps tore open his jersey. I guess we could surmise that the Cubbies have a better weight room than the Sox??? Oh well, move on I guess.

As for Mr. Cotts, my sister in law was his trainer at Illinois State Univ. and they are friends and she loved it when he came to the Pale Hose as she is a bigger Sox fan than I am (can you believe that, her mother is more of a fan than both of us) now you see where I get some of the passion. Anywho, I could not stand Mr. Cotts from the day he got here, he scared the bejesus out of me everytime he threw up those lollipops. He had a terrific year in 2005 during the "magical year" but came crashing down last year. Good luck when he throws those floaters up in the land of the "short porch" and "homer-making baskets". If he regains his form, good for the Cubbies, but I wouldn't take any of that action. Just my $.02

Windy

PS Hope you had a good turkey day, I know I ate myself into a tryptophan induced coma (though it may have been the Budweisers)

I fully agree with you Windy on the steroid issue IF in fact they were abusers. Tainted performances are bad for sports/sportsmanship. (You forgot to mention Sammy's corked bat?????)

As to Cotts, if he wasn't lefty.........

Turkey Day went just fine here too. Thank You for asking.

Yea,

But then you would have flagged me for "piling on" and given me a 15 yard penalty! LOL

I also forgot about another ex-Cub who was busted, Mr. Palmero even though he had moved on from the Cubs. It really bugs me when these guys lie straight out and then get busted and claim it was some supplement or magic juice they were taking, who do they think they are fooling? Oh well, time to get off the soap box and back to work.

Windy