Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DRH1175

Favorite Smooth bore slug

9 posts in this topic

In your opinion what do you think are the best smooth bore slugs on the market? Sluggers, Tru-ball, Brenneke, lightfield, super x what? Just wondering what others have found to shoot, group and put the most smack down on deer?

Thanks

Brenneke for me. First year using them, and dropped 2 deers in thier track. I get cloverleaf groups at 50 yards and 2-3" at 100 yards with open sight. By the way, I'm shooting a browning A5 12ga with the buck barrel.

When I used to throw pumkins and sometimes still do. I use only Brennekes I shoot a 1957 870 wingmaster/20inch remington slug barrel 2 3/4 only. Most of the time I scope it and get fantastic groups a 100 yards although Ive only one slug not pass thru it was in wisconsin and it was a 125yd shot, heart shot, slug was stuck between skin and rip cage deer went 10 yds and tipped over.

I knew those Brennekes were good thanks for confirming.

Brennekes here too. I only use them now when on deer drives with open sights and I take my scoped barrel off.

Hard hitting and accurate.

Joel

I've shot over 40 deer with a remington 870 smoothbore with a scope and 2 3/4" sluggers. Out to a little over 100 yards it was very deadly and grouped very well but to find that out I patterned several different brands. Each gun will pattern different. I now went to a slug barrel and core loct slugs and am comfortable out to 200 yards but I would feel comfortable going back to the sluggers if needed. Make sure you pattern several and 3" mags are not necessarily better. Good luck.

Brenneke all the way.. I've got 1.5" groups at 50yrds..

Quote:

I've shot over 40 deer with a remington 870 smoothbore with a scope and 2 3/4" sluggers. Out to a little over 100 yards it was very deadly and grouped very well but to find that out I patterned several different brands. Each gun will pattern different. I now went to a slug barrel and core loct slugs and am comfortable out to 200 yards but I would feel comfortable going back to the sluggers if needed. Make sure you pattern several and 3" mags are not necessarily better. Good luck.

Right on bb2233. It depends on the barrel/gun. I had a smoothbore Remington slug barrel that liked Brennekes. And then an old JC Higgins riot gun that liked Winchesters.

None of them, get a rifled barrel and shoot sabots, you'll wonder why you hadn't done it earlier.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• monstermoose78

Posted

Well I got a wood duck with my first shot and missed 2 big ole Canadian geese with all 3 shells. 

IMG_0628.JPG

IMG_0629.JPG

• certified jumbo

Posted

This will be new norm until they can be regulated again

• chaffmj

Posted

26 hunting dogs have been killed by wolves in NW Wisconsin this year? Wow!

• SpecialK

Posted

It's been dredged to 4'. The lake still has a sandbar. He did not dredge past the creek mouth

• leech~~

Posted

2 hours ago, JBMasterAngler said:

Drove all the way up to grindstone this morning from Forest Lake. As I'm driving along the shoreline, I can't stop admiring how beautiful of a day it is, and how great it will be to be on the water. Was totally amped up to fish for some trout! Then I pull up to the boat launch...and it's closed down! :mad: This dredging project has been pushed back for years, then they finally decide to do it on a beautiful sunny day, that I picked to come here...on the last day of the lake trout season nonetheless! Needless to say, I was very upset! 

Could have throw a line off the south shore since you were all the way up there. :(

• easyrider25

Posted

Hey guys thanks for the tips.  What you are saying really makes sense.  I have been working on these items this week, not expecting a completely changed dog out there but looking forward to continued exercises this weekend out in the blind.

• JBMasterAngler

Posted

Drove all the way up to grindstone this morning from Forest Lake. As I'm driving along the shoreline, I can't stop admiring how beautiful of a day it is, and how great it will be to be on the water. Was totally amped up to fish for some trout! Then I pull up to the boat launch...and it's closed down! :mad: This dredging project has been pushed back for years, then they finally decide to do it on a beautiful sunny day, that I picked to come here...on the last day of the lake trout season nonetheless! Needless to say, I was very upset! 

• papadarv

Posted

1 hour ago, delcecchi said:

I bet the state, not the political cronies, would get a lot more money by having the auction on the internet or allowing phone bids.  Heck, put them on the bay of E. 

Actually DMV and DNR do quite well at their auctions. You win bid, You Pay, You own. No red tape, no collection process, simple and things seem to sell for quite a bit of money. Go and one see for yourself, its quite amazing. Lots of them at the Arden Hills DMV. Hard to collect money over the phone and on the internet. I do believe they will use the same auction process for this property sale as the DMV and DNR are good at it and a lot of buyers will be there. If the internet were to be used, the "political cronies" would need to create a bill, Ear Mark several million to develop a site, create an app, hire 40 to 50 people to manage and than increase taxes to cover the cost much like Obama Care Not a good plan. If your interested, go to auction, bring lots of money, win a bid and own.

2016 MN auction schedule if your interested in going to one.

http://mn.gov/admin/citizen/surplus-property/auctions/schedule/

• SpecialK

Posted

They were dredging there today. Not sure if they are done or if it will take longer.