• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Thanksgiving hunt, anyone going!//northern minnesota report

tearin' lips

Rumor has it that there is still a few mallards and divers up in the north country. I talked to a guy from Thunder Bay, ON last night at gander mountain and he said that there are still divers and mallards up that way. I also talked to a reliable source from Int'l falls last night and he said that there are still some ducks on the lake, mostly divers. I have been seeing a fair amount on WMA not too far from duluth and the area lakes are holding a few ringies, redheads, and scaup. Anyone else gonna be hunting next week? I know that I am...in fact I think I might even forget about deer hunting this weekend...

Take Care Guys, Good Luck Hunting!!

I would love to be, but in all my driving looking for them, I am not seeing much around the Twin Cities area. I know there still have to be some, though. Friends have gotten a few ringbill yet from southern reaches, but my last few times out were discouraging.

I am in northern metro, and not seeing much at all. Still some mallards, but not really a way for me to get to them.

I will prolly go out Sat Afternoon maybe, and scout more for Sunday morn and next week. I hope I see something smile.gif

My roomate and I are working on getting permission for a field that was holding a couple hundred mallards two days ago, drove by it last night and saw a flock of 80-100 getting up and flying back to the pond. I've been watching the same pond for about 3 weeks now and there has been lots of birds using it, even when it froze, they kept a spot open. With deer hunting, havent had a chance to go out and shoot em up yet, but this weekend should work out.

I thought of going tommorow or this weekend but our swamp looked pretty bare, were a ton of birds in it less then a week ago, so either they were gone or they might be somewhere on the water i couldnt see, i was there at 1:00pm so they probly were resting if they were there. Have to check in the am or tommorow night. Still lots of open water so i would think they would still be here, but they might of got out of here on those couple days of north winds.

I'll be in Hastings bangin' away on Thursday morning (got the special pass from the understanding wife) she let me know how much I'd have to do the night before to help get the house prepared for 20 people coming over. blush.gif Then again on Friday morning and one or the other Sat or Sunday and that will be it for Ducks for me.

Ducks around the south and west metro have been slow most of the time. There are ducks here... just a lot of lakes for them to be sitting on and nobody to push them up anymore. Limited shooting opportunities most of the time.. if your shooting is on you can still get good results some of the time... but theres always lots of rafts on the area lakes to look at on the drive home!

Just checked my calendar again to see if I'll have a chance to get out after the ducks. No chance for me! Leaving for sunny California for a week tomorrow, then have meetings on the 27th and 28th, the last 2 days of the duck season. Still have hopes of getting out for late season geese though. My birds are all eaten up, so I could use a good plump honker! wink.gif

....not sure if i should open my big mouth but the numbers of ducks i saw today (friday) in bigstone county was staggering. all i can say is go west west west. ducks and geese every where in the sky tonight. i put on 145 miles tonight scouting, not to mention the drive up from sioux falls, and it was well worth it. we've got a corn field all lined up for a six man goose hunt in the am, then its across the road, bust some ice, toss out the greenbean deeks and wait for the mallards to come a' callin. thank god ive got all week off next week; this is definetly the time to be out hunting.

Hunterlee,

Look out for this weekend bc there are lots of birds in the Crookston areas so they should be hitting our neck of the woods shortly. I would scout Saterday night if i was you to see if they have pushed down a little. We went out and found a field in the morning but there were only about 50 geese there so idk, try to get a limit and then off to bow hunt i spose.

absolutely loads of birds in SD...was out there pheasant hunting the last 4 days and the number of snows was incredible despite everything being pretty locked up. Here is a pic for the visual guys out there.

IMG_1400.jpg

we will be out until the season closes as always.

Went out this past weekend and it was a bust. The first field was all eaten out so the birds never came back, on sunday i figured we would have a super hunt. 500 mallards and around 500 geese there saterday night. Sunday comes all the decoys out, no birds, we went and checked there roost which isn't far away and there were all gone. I drove around but never saw them checked it that night and they werent' there either, must have went south for the year. Oh well but that was probably my last attempt at geese for the season. Wasn't my best season but had a few great hunts. Time to chase deer, varmits, and pheasants.

A. Shae