Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dahitman44

Sled gas tank issue

28 posts in this topic

I have '03 polaris 700 xcsp and the gas tank leaks where the rubber seal and the hose goes in. It looks like a bad hole that was drilled on Friday. It looks like it was drilled at an angle slightly and it does not make a complete seal with the rubber piece.

I ordered another rubber piece and that did not help.I don't want to get a whole new tank -- what can I put on it to seal it up that gas will not break down?

Thoughts?

Any ideas, fellas?

go in to your polaris dealer there in Hawley-wood and see what they say. Otherwise you might be able to find some kind of cauk (Sp?) or some compound that will set up and wont be breaking down with gasoline. Check out what htey have to say at the polaris dealer and go from there.

RDO -- Yeah ... .... Umm you have to get a new tank.

Nope -- want to find other options.

??

I take it the tank is plastic. How would epoxy react to gas and plastic?

If it is metal, How about the liquid metal that I have

seen in either hardware stores or auto stores.

Not sure I helped much, but maybe provided some ideas. confused.gif

RDO =

Ripped (the)

Dumba$$

Off

A buddy of mine says everytime a fish comes off, "That S.O.B. got R.D.Offut" LOL

Quote:

RDO =

R
ipped (the)

D
umba$$

O
ff

grin.gif Take it easy now. grin.gif..Steve (the small engine service manager) is a good friend of mine. We used to work together at Wheels. Talk to him nice and I'm sure he's got some idea's or I could probably find out for you too. I was in the snowmobile business for 20 years before I went to computers. crazy.gif

Hit...why was someone drilling holes in your tank? confused.gif

Scott, thats the same question i was going to ask.

Shae (it's Andrew right?)

Did you hear about the big buck that a Ulen resident hit by the Buffalo river on 10 a couple nights ago? It totalled her car and I hit the binders to keep from hitting it as it ran away. No blood on her car and no straight panels on the drivers side either plus a broken windshield and drivers window. That thing was HUGE and it's still out there I bet. I went back and looked for blood and didn't see any.

Scott I have no idea how the small engine/craft unit of RDO operates. They could be great for all I know. But the heavy equipment unit of RDO rots... If the small engine unit is anything like the heavy equipment unit, I'd do my business elsewhere. crazy.gif

Scott,

No i havent heard of that, but i was out all day getting my fish house stuff done, and some bird scouting done so i have not been in town much. Im sure i will hear more tomorrow when i am around some more.

Tator is good to me at RDO and so is Shawn in Parts so I don't have much else to say about RDO. They let Dave go and that was a mistake.

Had to get a new take. When they drilled the hole it was a workmanship error. They pulled it out wrong and make the hole a little angled.

Going to try and get Polaris to give me some $$$ back. Wish me luck I will need it.

I have plastic welded quite a few gas tanks, and none of them have ever leaked. However, I am now in southern MN frown.gif

If you can find someone who does plastic welding...they can probably weld up the bad hole, then you can drill another.

I will ask my brother at Thanksgiving, he lives in Moorhead and owns a body shop - maybe he knows someone. BTW, he fixes broken snowmobile hoods, all brands - even the plastic ones. I dunno how, he won't tell me - but he's done hundreds of them and they're usually stronger then new...

--Mark

Thanks

Hitman

Hit

Ever get your gas tank fixed or are you going to have to break down and get a new one?

Got a new one. Tried to get Polaris to pay for it and they wouldn't open their wallet.

Still going to try to "shame" them into it..

Bring on the ice -- then the snow.

Sorry I forgot to get back to you -

My brother didn't know of anyone in the F-M area that does 'good' plastic welding. At least, good enough for a gas tank...he tried a couple of places and didn't have good luck. frown.gif

Sorry,

--Mark

Thanks I hate Polaris. They won't credit me. mad.gif

hitman, do you use that sled to pull around your shack? I'm looking at getting a four stroke 2- up sled, but if I can't find one for a decent price, I will consider looking at a one seater trail sled. Anyone else have any suggestions? I would prefer a Polaris. (I know hitman.... crazy.gif)

What you need to do is load your sled up, drive out to DL Marine and drop the Polaris off in the back, then go inside and buy yourself an Arctic Cat, I am sure they won't shame you for screwing up and buying a Polaris. grin.gif

We're not gonna get in a arctic cat/polaris discussion here, but in case you wanted to know, I ended up buying a AC T660 Touring this afternoon. I gotta sweet deal on it. grin.gif

Quote:

We're not gonna get in a arctic cat/polaris discussion here, but in case you wanted to know, I ended up buying a AC T660 Touring this afternoon. I gotta sweet deal on it.
grin.gif

Way ta go smile.gif...Did you get a new one or used? Heated seats? How much? what year? Does it have the 110hp turbo?

Details....details details.

Can you tell I'd like something like that too? grin.gif

Artic Cat -- Itty Bitty (contact us about this word) Kitty --

Meow.

wink.gifcool.gif

2004 T660 Touring. No turbo. but for a novice like me who will be using it to pull a portable, I'm fine with 53hp. It had 15xx miles on it. all the bells and whistles, hand warmers (handle, thumb and passenger), hitch, 12V outlet, mirrors, etc. Looks almost brand new. spanking good deal on itI got it for about $3k under average reatil according to Kelly Blue Book and NADA.

hitman, I was all set to buy a Polaris, but the deal on this sled couldn't be passed up.

FYI, the guy I bought it from has about 40 or so more sleds like this for sale at wholesale price...

Yeah, it sounds like a good deal, JP.

One question -- did you get the tow rope option so my polaris can pull you off the ice? grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifcool.gif