Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
huskywings66

lakes near SCSU

19 posts in this topic

does anyone know of some good panfish or walleye lakes within say 10-15 min of the campus. looking for some between class action. any help would be awesome

Uh... Well Lake George "Technically" has fish in it according to a 1984 survey. Turned up some pan fish a couple of bullheads and IIRC a few pickle sized pike.

Otherwise, with that time frame... Realistically you're looking at the river...

And actually if you go over to Munsinger... There is a Culvert kind of towards the north end of the park. (It has metal railings) which the Walleye and Rock Bass love to congregate by...

Sure I wouldn't eat anything from there, and it has a million and five snags just waiting to suck down your jigs... But that's your best option.

After that it's a jaunt out to 10... North for about 25 mins to Little Rock... Or South and off on IIRC 60 to Briggs-Julia.

Well there's Little Rock. That's about 15-20 minutes from campus. Otherwise there Grand and Pearl lakes which are more like 20-25 minutes out.

Later in the winter below the 10th streat dam on the east side of the river there's a frozen eddy that holds walleye.

is lake george the one by tech high school cuz i could use one of those small northern for my aquarium.

also are there any aerators in those lakes?

One might want to look into the legality of transporting live fish for aquarium use. The problem lies in the transportation in that, you say it is for your aquarium, but it could look like you are stocking another lake. I believe there is a permit that must be obtained to keep wild native fish in an aquarium. Is it like a matress tag? Maybe.

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/permits/fishery/livefish_transport.pdf

huskywings66 - realistically 10-15 minutes in the St.Cloud area won't get you on many productive areas to fish. I'd spend your time studying between classes and then hit the road and within 20-40 minutes you can be on some decent lakes in the area. Like Borch said, Little Rock, Grand and Pearl are decent panfish lakes. If you are willing to drive a little further, check out the Wright county lakes as well!

Little Rock and Briggs come to mind. The river is also an option if you can get someone to let you cross their property.

i'll check into that permit thing, thanks for the lake info. yeah 20-40 min won't be bad either. also Mille Lacs is only about an hour and a half or so and there are a lot of lakes in that area

Little Rock will keep you busy with perch all day, plus there are some nice northerns and walleyes in it. Pleasant has some nice crappies in it and near ice-out I got some hard-fighting largemouths. Pearl will also get you crappies, throw out a tip-up and you can have fun with the northerns as well.

Quote:

i'll check into that permit thing, thanks for the lake info. yeah 20-40 min won't be bad either. also Mille Lacs is only about an hour and a half or so and there are a lot of lakes in that area

You could spend the entire winter trying to figure out Mille Lacs and still not touch a sliver of the lake. Keep us posted on your outings.

Good Luck!

island lake is a great lake for crappies and northern it's just not that easy to get on to and park you will have to walk but it is a great lake

I fished Pleasant lake a lot the last 3 years. I have done very well at times for Bass, Northerns, and Crappie. I lived in Waite Park and it was only 5 miles away, so it should be in the 10 to 15 minute range from campus.

thanks jalberg i'll probably hit up pleasant a lot this year. i was out on rice with a buddy from coldspring earlier today caught some nice eyes that topped out at 20", a northern, and some perch, missed some bites too. 8" of crystal clear ice out there.....no snow.....and i don't have ice cleats.....my butt hurts.

Hey fellas. I moved up to st cloud in july and am going back to school. I get done with finals on the 20th. Wouldn't mind getting in a lot of fishing over the break. Maybe we could meet up on the lake if you are interested?

i would kickin bass but i'm going home that night to st. paul. i would like to go out after break tho.

Husky,

I wouldn't recommend ice fishing Lake George though.... there is a city ordinance against it... But in open water.... there have been crappie, bluegill, channel catfish and bass stocked in the past two years to provide some "in town" angling.

You could take fish home if your under 16... Guessing you don't fit that bill anymore.. There is a fish trans permit available through the DNR Fisheries offices either in Montrose or Little Falls though. Remember any fish that resides in an aquarium counts towards your posession limit...

As other shave suggested the river can be good, Pleasant, Pearl, Grand, Long, Crooked, The Briggs Chain, Big Elk Lake, Warner Lake..... Many possibilities... If you go , good luck.

yeah i figured out not to ice fish george. my buddies got yelled at by the cops for skating out there. i think pleasant sounds good tho

Quote:

One might want to look into the legality of transporting live fish for aquarium use. The problem lies in the transportation in that, you say it is for your aquarium, but it could look like you are stocking another lake. I believe there is a permit that must be obtained to keep wild native fish in an aquarium. Is it like a matress tag? Maybe.

yes you need a permit, but not the one that is posted. I have 28 different permits with the state in just fish, with almost 300 lakes together in those permits. You need a educational use permit, for that reason from the state office, or a personal use permit, all of which can be obtained by writing a letter or fax to paul wingate.