Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MuskyBug85

How was your open water season?

5 posts in this topic

now that most guys and gals have put the boats away for the year we can look back and evaluate how the open water season went.

I will start by saying it was a summer of learning and trying new things. I learned how to fish slop bass, open water walleyes and finally starting to master the art of night fishing. i had some nice fish landed (already posted picts so i dont need to do that again) and all in all had a great time meeting new people from this site both on the water and in both Delaney's and Northern Bait. to all you guys who stopped and said hi, i would like to say thanks, it was a pleasure to meet all of you and put faces to screen names. ok enoough out of me lets hear how you did. Jonah

It's still goin on... Spent 3 hours on Potato today 5 nice eye's and some chunky northerns. Gonna have to fish that lake a little more I think.

Hey Guys,

I had my best Muskie season this year. I caught 5 and

missed a few. I still hav'nt figured the walleyes out on

Potato yet maybe next year.

Well in between the multiple jobs and college I got out a few times and definitly had a blast with my guide, Jonah Winter. wink.gif Thanks hun! I caught my first wally at 28 inches, followed by several smaller ones as the fall/summer went on. I can't even explain the feeling I had catching that first fish. I can guarantee though that it won't be my last! Now that the lakes are finally freezing over and getting thick enough I hope to spend my Christmas Break out on the ice.

We're on the upper Crow Wing chain in the warmer months. This year varied quite a bit from our previous two up there. Water temps were already in the low 70's by Mermorial Day, so I think that had a lot to do with it. The bigger fish did not seem to be in the weeds in the late spring/summer. Also I rarely kept any fish this year; I might have kept an 'eye or some northerns when we had guests staying with us.

I had a fantastic day with Largemouths on a lake I rarely fish on Mermorial weekend. It seemed to be every other cast for a long while.

I had a great August day on our lake while trolling for Pike on the deep weedline. I think this was the only time I can remember clearly outfishing my father in-law who grew up on the River.

My walleye success was pretty low; still have a lot to learn it seems. I had some good days in late fall around the full moons, but that's about it.

I think I'm going to do some more open water trolling next year by using a small down rigger to get the lures down there consistently. Also I received an Aqua Vu for Christmas, so I'll be scouting structure locations in the spring time.

Even when the fish aren't biting, there's nothing better than being up there. Loons calling, dead calm lake at 10 pm, stars... Only 4 more months till the boat comes out!