• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mid Season Report

Snag

How has the pheasant hunting been? I've had luck from Litchfield to the S.D Border averaging 1 bird per outing. Haven't been out in a couple of weeks due to an infected paw for my hunting buddy. He should be good to go next week. I saw 30 birds one day and didn't get a shot off. Another day, I saw three and got two. The birds seem smarter the farther west I go. It's nice that the catails are pretty dry in most places. That's where most of the birds have been.

My results are about the same. Some birds in the home area and it seems to get better, points south and west all the way to the border of SD. It makes sense that the lower population density areas have less pressure other than weekends. My local area before deer season kicked off was absolutely crazy, 7 days a week, the WMA's and WPA's were getting hit hard. I have seen as many as a hundred birds in a day to a single hen. I figured out my birds per trip to about 1.27 per trip. Then I added up my mileage, well over 1000 miles so far, and I have not left the state. Looking forward to the last half the season. Pressure should decrease a little, and now that deer hunting for the most part is over, permission should come a little easier. Have not been out for the last three days, dog is getting growly.

My report is about the same. An average of one bird an outing with some very poor shooting. My pup is really coming along and that is so much fun to see. The maple lake and litchfield area have been where I have hunted the most. I have hit sw MN a few times with good results. Were heading to South Dakota for thanksgiving weekend. I can't complain, I have hunted alone all but opening weekend and I am yet to be skunked grin.gif. Don't want the hunting season to end.

LovenLifeGuy

Been a real nice year for me so far. The dog is putting it all together and has done some really nice things this year. There's so many birds it's mad out there. Never seen so many birds while deer hunting. In my mind the good old days for pheasant hunting in MN are right now. I'm hoping for decent weather through the end of the season. Can't wait to get out some more.

In a word: Fantasic. Although I have taken November off so far for deer hunting, that is about to change. Never been better and my birds per outing are fantastic. Plus, my 1.5 year old brittany is really coming along. She is already as good as most dogs I have hunted with. Needs a little work on retrieving yet (she likes to drop the birds a little too soon). And she could use a little more experience trailing runners, but all in all, I am pleased. I am on pace to break my highest total ever. Everyone be safe out there. I will give this season an A+ so far.

Haven't been out a whole lot, 5 times only, but I don't think I've seen 20 birds the whole time, got 2 about 30 seconds apart one evening at that has been it. In all those hunts though I've only hunted maybe 10 hours total, so I'm not doing to poorly seeing birds, especially since most hunts were with the corn still in. Only had 3 shots so far, missed one and got the other 2.

Football will be done for me after the Prep Bowl on friday, so then I will get out hunting alot more.

I have hunted pheasants for 12 days this fall and am averaging 2.25 birds/day. smile.gif Before you get worked up ... 4 days were with family in ND.

Hunting has been 60% private and 40% public land. With the exception of one "hot farm" in Minnesota, birds seen and shot have been equally distributed between private land and public land.

If I add in knock downs, but not retrieved => the number bumps up a little higher. frown.gif My 9 year old Britt has lost a step or two and we lost our 1st pheasant together this year in more than 2-3 years. Two years ago she actually retrieved more birds than were shot over her since she found roosters wounded by someone else. My one year old has also been with me on a couple lost birds - too many birds, too much scent, and those suckers can still run! She is still learning.

Ulimately I assume responsibility for not placing a killing shot on the lost roosters. Moving to magnum, high velocity #4s rest of season. #2 steel on WPAs.

Hope to get out another 5 or 6 times before season's end.

Went out saterday with a friend, went and knocked on some doors for the first time this year, got on 2 nice pieces of private land, shot 3 birds at the first place, I had 2 and he got 1, should have been done by 9:45, but I wasn't watching the dog and she was on a bird and locked up at about 40 yards and the bird imediatly flushed.

Went to the next spot and got one after we both missed a bird, the one we got, my dog kicked it up and I managed to miss 3 times, it proceeds to fly over a hill and as im watching it all of a sudden falls from the sky. At this point I'm really confused looking around, I think that the guy I am hunting with is behind the hill on my right, turns out he was to my left and after I missed that bird caught the wind and came right to him. I didn't hear the shot at first because of the wind. You kinda had to be there, got a good laugh out of it.

The season should only get better, saw plenty of birds for 2 hours of hunting, 19 hens and 7 roosters

sweet! can't wait to get out after the late season birds. Nothing like a rooster exploding right next to you--time almost stands still for a second and then everything goes into slow motion as I draw on the bird and crumple it. Whats not to love?

Sounds like everyone is having some fun. I have nothing new to report. While recovering from an injured paw, my Golden sprained his shoulder. I'm not allowed to even walk him for two weeks. I hope to get out a few more times in December.

tough break Snag--hope your dog's injury heals soon so you can get back at it.