Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KidWalleye

Deer Movement?

3 posts in this topic

I'm coming up tomorrow morning to bow hunt for a few days. I was wodering if the deer have started to move around more lately? They weren't moving to much during the first weekwed of gun opener. Kid

KidWalleye,

I have started to see more deer feeding in my field the last

three days than I have seen in the last 2 weeks. Average

about 6-8 deer a night behind the house. You should be

fine.

Safe hunt,

Woody

Thanks PRWoody. I thought they would be moving around more this weekend. The guy at the Snellman store said someone got an 18 pt during gun season. He said the rack was WAY to big for the little body. We've found the opposite. When we've shot a buck the body was huge and the rack looked to be to small. ANyone else seen this? Kid

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• eyeguy 54

Posted

probably eagles if fishing. I think the fultures like highways. :):) 

• monstermoose78

Posted

Thanks for the heads up as I  grouse that area and my dog is very young. I know I will be carrying my 40 cal when I go up grouse hunting.

• Perhaps immature eagles?  I don't believe they get their white head until 4-5 years of age..

• I second the Vermilion Club-great food and they always welcome the dog (black lab) on the deck and give her water. We have been over on major holidays (July 4th, Memorial day, etc) and can always squeeze in somewhere and if not, there's "the kid" who charges $10 for "their dock".....love the place! 

• monstermoose78

Posted

• You are right, it's a grouse.

• BringAnExtension

Posted

I am not a hunter and I live in southern Minnesota, so I don't know how to identify this bird.  It walked into our campsite at Tettegoche State Park last week.  I am thinking a grouse?

20160917_105407.jpg

1 person likes this
    • BringAnExtension

Posted (edited)

I don't have much to report, as I have not been fishing much lately, but wanted to add a topic on our quiet forum.

I finally got a chance to go out on Mazaska this past weekend.  I tried my usual methods with almost no luck.  Fatheads on a jig and under a slip bobber.  From 9 feet down to about 25 feet.  I had a couple of bites, but that was it.

Water temperature was still a balmy 68 degrees and a stiff wind was coming out of the southeast.  Even though I caught nothing, it was a beautiful day to be on the water last Saturday.

One day closer to hard water season ...

Edited by BringAnExtension
      1 person likes this
    • phillyfacks

Posted

We've got a cabin up on Pelican and I've definitely noticed less cormorants on the lake this summer.  The state did grant the owner of Gooseberry Island a permit to kill cormorants, which was done this Spring.  I talked to a DNR officer on the lake this summer and he said they had shot almost 400 birds, I don't recall the exact numbers but it was somewhere between 350-400. 

• Consider me in on a personal boycott of The Landing. Horrible horrible horrible customer service skills by the owners/management.

1) it is much quieter on the water without the big blasters running up an down the lake from the Landing.

2) Had a craving for wings while out fishing one night. Called ahead ordered up some wings- great taste- tiny crappy wings. Asked for a side of Blue Cheese and Celery - upcharge of like $3.00 for those. Washed it down with a bottle of Coors Light. $23.50

Large group went in one night and they usually tear up the bar. Were told they can't play jukebox until after 10 pm it was 9:40 PM- ONLY GROUP IN THE BAR.  "They are trying to build up an Ambiance"

Got their bar tab and they were done. Yearly group that dropped a lot of cash in the past. Never again until new ownership is on board.

Unfortunately they have deep pockets.

As soon as new ownership / management takes over the crowds will return.