• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

heater cooker run time....

TurnUpTheFishing

Question

Hey, I bought a fishtrap Pro last year and got the heater cooker to go with it. I made the purchase towards the end of the year so I couldnt get a good idea of how much propane the heater used (Ill only be running it on low in the Pro). Im running a 20lb tank right now but it takes up too much room. I was curious what size tanks anyone might use and how long they last. Thanks.

11 answers to this question

Running the three setting Mr heater on hi (15000 Btu I think) will burn up 20# of propane in a little less than 40 hours. So the 'Pout festival requires 3 twenties, 2 for burning and 1 for just in case.

I use an 11lb pancake tank. It sits low and squatty. Its close to as wide as a 20lb'er, but not as tall or heavy. I get mine filled once a year. Unless you are a very frequent user for long periods of time I can't see running out of fuel being a problem. I get mine filled around Dec. 1st and weigh the tank. If it starts to get light I reweigh it to see how much fuel I've used. If you need to fill up its better to find out before a long excursion up north.

I would estimate I get about the same, two to three hours per pound. of straight use, primarily on low...I use both a 11 or 13# tank, and one pounders....The ones are nice and compact....you can also keep a good gauge on what you have....jk

Thanks guys. I think Im going to go with the short 11 lb. tank. If anything it will be nice for early and late ice.

Turn,

I actually like the 5 lbs tanks better than the 11's. They are skinny and taller; therefore having a smaller footprint in your sled. I have two, for obvious reasons. I also use a 20 lber' for the times I am driving the truck out. Pair up any of these tanks (including the 11 lber') with a 6 foot hose and you have a great set up.

I love my heater/cooker; I'm actually surprised when people buy the plain sunflower. Why have the tank in the house with you? Plus it's nice to be able to warm up a pot of chili out on the ice, without any additional equipment.

TRITC

I have an 11 lb tall tank and would not get anything else. Takes up less floor space than a 20 lb or a pancake and makes for better portability in the sled. I also run a hose from the tank outside to the heater/cooker. I use the heater/cooker year round for camping and frying fish outside in the garage rather than stinking up my house. Usually fill the 11 lb twice per season - however, I seldom fish for more than 8 hours at a time.

Another vote for the tall 11 pounder. It fits easier in the sled amongst all the other gear. It even fits in a 5 gallon bucket.

hmmm... Ive never seen the tall 11 lb. tanks. How tall are they? Some say they dont like them, can I ask why? Im just looking for something that doesnt take up room in the sled. I have the hose and put the tank outside the house so it wont be taking up any room inside.

They're as tall as a 20# tank, just smaller in diameter. I got mine at Sportsmans Warehouse last winter.

The tall 11's are the same diameter as the 5's I believe. I still vote for the 5's. They last quite a while and if I run out I go to #2. Plus they have a small footprint and aren't real tall; I can fit them under my bench seat in the old Trap III. I usually only use these if I'm not driving out.