• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

"Can" call

eagle_3464

Last night as I was scouting for a new stand location I glassed a couple of deer along a woods edge. With just 45 minutes of light left and cover in between I thought I would try to stalk them. As I left the road out into the meadow I spotted another buck break out of an adjacent woodlot. I rapidly hit the "Can" three times and he immediately disappeared in the valley between us. Not knowing where he went I tucked myself into a stand of buck brush for cover. In a matter of just a couple minutes he traveled about 150 yds and came trotting on the back side of the brush where I was at and turned to come through. He stopped just 15 yds from me but not clear of the brush and stood looking around. Not being 50 yds from the road I heard a car coming so thought that would be my chance to make a move for a clear shot as he was distracted by the car. Wrong..... The car stopped and with windows down I could here them talking about the deer they were seeing and it wasn't long before he blasted out of there. So close it can be frustrating but yet so exciting to have the thrill of the hunt. In the few weeks that I have had the "Can", this is the first time I have had them come running. I think I found the area for a new stand location.

It seems to work under certian conditions... the Friday before gun season I was bowhunting and had a nubbin buck milling around my tree for a good hour, well on the ridge I spot a semi-decent buck traveling obviously in search of does, I hit the can once, he paused for a second, then continued, I hit it twice more and he locked up again, then he spotted the fawn that was 10 yards in front of my stand and gave a grunt and came trotting right in grunting and walking real loud. Came up to the fawn expecting it to be a hot doe...gave a smell and looked around like "what the heck" and gave a another grunt and was on his way again. That was pretty neat and it's the kind of stuff that doesn't happen on your couch and people that don't hunt can never understand. But it keeps me coming back.

I had a similar situation where I pulled a buck in from 300 yards to about 50 yards with the can call. I got his attention and he followed throught the crp grass. he would stop about every 50 yards or so and I would hit the can again. He kept looking for something that wasn't there. It helped that it was crp and I think that is why he came in so close -- he couldn't see well either.

That was a small 8-pointer about three years ago. I have not had much success since then, but it worked well that day.

It definitely doesn't always work, but I've generally had great luck with the can. I've also had good luck with grunt calls and rattlin' horns. I absolutely love to call in deer- it's my favorite way to hunt! Make them hunt for you!!!

I haven't had a lot of luck with the can until this year. I believe that its better to be used when you see the buck. This fall I brought in two bucks that were none responsive to the grunt. I hit the can real quik 5 or 6 times and they came running up at me looking for the doe. It worked great in that instance.

On the second day of rifle season I was walking to my stand in the middle of a stand of popple trees. The conditions were definately not ideal for getting to the stand quietly, I knew I was making way too much noise and was worried that I was spooking any deer within miles of me. I stopped for a second to get my bearing being in the vast forest and I heard the unmistakable sound of a deer snapping a branch followed by two footsteps. I immediately reached in my pocket, grabbed the can and tipped it twice hoping the deer would think it was a doe rather than a human invader in his living room. After I tipped the can the second time he grunted back at me. I tucked myself behind a tree and we played cat and mouse for ten minutes or so, him grunting and then me responding with the can. Finally I could see his tail twitching about 60 yards upwind of me! However he was behind so much brush it didn't offer a shot and could even see what kind of head gear he had. All I could see was one eyeball looking everywhere for the doe. He eventually vanished and being aways fron my stand I decided to stay put and hunker down by that tree. I would tip the can every ten or fifteen minutes. About an hour and a half of when I last saw him I heard a crash straight downwind of me. These guys are so sneaky I can only imagine that it was the same buck that had snuck downwind as silent as he could and finally got a whiff of me. Disappointing but yet it was a fun hunt. That was the first time the can worked for me. If only I would have had a decoy with me, maybe it would have ended up differently.

I have had success calling in bucks with the "can" but not does. Like anything, it works at times....but not all the time. I have had minimal success with rattling, descent success with grunting, but the "can" has done the best for me. The "can" has not spooked deer for me either.....to my knowledge. wink.gif

fishin'