• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cabellas Northern Flight blinds ???

I am thinking about getting a Northern Flight boat blind but would like your input. I wonder how well they travel when folded down. Can you travel at highway speeds ? Does the frame get in the way of the tiller arm of the motor.? Any coments would be apreciated. Thanks

We have one on 16 Alumcraft and we really like it. It travels at highway speeds just fine, and grass doesn't fly off or get torn. Folds down nice and tight, for the most part.

Our motor is not power trim, and if the blind is up, we can't tilt the motor up unless we leave the rear of the blind on the loosest setting, and we had to drill that setting hole ourselves. No big deal, but something that is a bit of a not so great thing. We could just make the blind a few inches shorter, but then it would cover our gas hatch deck so that wouldn't work either.

But in general, we can take it off or put it on the boat in literally 2 minutes. That is a key thing. And there are no screws or holdes that need to be drilled in the boat it self, it clamps on nice and tight and securely.

We also have console, and it goes around the console just fine, and hides it perfectly.

We got ours during the tent sale, and got it real cheap, I think about $225 with no grass. We got the grass at Gander during January for about $4 per piece, so under $300 for a fully rigged blind that work great.

good luck,

-Box

Make sure if anyone named Box helps you install the blind that he puts the bolts on facing out and that he does not go nuts tightening the bolts with his power tools on the brace arms. Just kidding. I got one for my new 16' Alumacraft Yukon tiller this year and it works great. The frame does not limit my use of the tiller when the blind is down (unless I need to trim up the motor a lot). When I retrieve a bird, I need to lower the left side to run the motor but that is no big deal. The marsh grass blocks most of the wind so the boat is very warm when the wind is blowing. I do not think anyone needs the wind blocker that they offer. I like mine and would recommend it.

On a side note, Chris, I saw very few birds out today and fired no shots. I left at 8:30.

That was my bro, not me who can't get bolts on properly wink.gif

He and Chuck went out yesterday and didn't see much either. I am proably done unless I go to the river. I just am not seeing ducks in enough numbers to make me want to even give it a try any longer.

If I could find a field with mallards feeding, and get permission i might be all over that... but for me, it's probably about over unless I see some movement coming, and I don't anticipate that. Too bad. Very average year, even in NoDak.

I built my own blind at fraction of the cost, it really isn't that hard as I am not exactly the handiest of handy men. All in all it was just over $100...the most expensive part was the blind material. The good part about this is I got to make it custom fit to my boat. My boat is not painted in camo and it covers it perfectly.