• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Is a 22-250 enough gun for whitetail?

BigWadeS

I have a, well will be retiring my deer rifle this year. I have my eye on a couple new ones and have almost a full year to get one, but my question is this. I have a 22-250 would that be enough gun for deer hunting? I have used it many times fox, coyote, and varmit hunting but never for deer. What do you think?

Its not legal in Minnesota but i'd say its enough gun for them. I wounldn't use it but i know its enough. Stick with heavy solid points and stay away from v-max's and other bullets like that.

guess I will be getting a new one, I thought they were legal in MN. Well, guess that's a good reason to tell the "boss" why I need to get a new one.

.270 is nice - that's what I shoot. However, if you ever want to go after some varmints, a .243 makes for a really slick dual purpose varmint/deer gun.

And yes, the .22 calibers are not legal for big game/deer. Here's the official line "At Least .23 caliber and case length of at least 1.285 inches".

Quote:

.270 is nice - that's what I shoot. However, if you ever want to go after some varmints, a .243 makes for a really slick dual purpose varmint/deer gun.

And yes, the .22 calibers are not legal for big game/deer. Here's the official line "At Least .23 caliber and case length of at least 1.285 inches".

Anyone thinking about a 243 should really take a hard look at the 25 WSSM. It's really a fantastic caliber. I'm up to 6 deer in 2 years with the gun. It's accurate and very hard hitting. Bullets are a bit limited as compared to the 243 but there's a pretty good range out there.

Caliber is actually one of the last things you want to look when deciding a new rifle...IMO

Build your rifle first, do you want a bolt, semi, drop block, etc.

Barrel length just a brush type or more open ground.

Scope what type of game do you want it to be able to take, cantilever, see through rings, detachable fixed or adjustable power.

Just deer or maybe down the line a pronghorn, moose, elk etc.

Action controlled feed or push feed, 2 position safety or three, mauser action or springfield, ya want to do some varmint hunting with it.

Weight big one depending on your shooting styles.

Caliber anything from .243 to the 7mm is more then adequate for medium sized game. Buying a new gun should be fun and as serious as buying a new car find the style you like then the caliber if you really like consider reloading to improve your accuracy and experiance.

Look at other calibers out there other then the Minnesota three .243,.270, or .30-06 maybe a 6.5x55 Swede, a .260, .280, .257 Roberts, .250-3000 Savage, 7x57, etc.

Go for a test drive and get a feel for what suits you and maybe just strikes you as a good gun or caliber.

Just my .02

bd

First, as is said here the 22-250 is not legal in MN but I saw it drop a deer dead in its tracks out West where it is legal...

Second, as to picking a caliber, I don't disagree with any bullet mentioned as being adequate to kill a deer. My preference has been, is and will stay the 30-06 for two main reasons. One, its a tried and true round that has taken more big game than any other cartridge in this country and because of that its available in a HUGE assortment of loads and in almost EVERY sporting goods store. Try finding a 300 short mag or a 7mm STW shell in a pinch in the local hardware store some day... Second, the caliber, unlike a .243 is big enough for more than deer. I shot a bull elk with my 30-06 this fall and it's versatile enough that it can be loaded all the way down to 55 grain bullets for pronghorns. Not many other options provide that much versatility.

Just my pitch for the trusty old '06... Good luck with your shopping!

If you like the 270, stick with the 270. There ain't anything any other caliber will take down that a 270 will not. Just buy good, premium bullets.

The first thing is to go into a gun shop and test some rifles. Pick the one that feels most comfortable to you. If you plan on doing long range shooting, you will need a smooth, crisp trigger. Two manufacturers comes to mind: they are Tikka (Sako) and Savage. Other than that, every rifle out there will do well in the Minnesota woods.

FYI: Get a rifle in Stainless Steel if you don't like to rub your gun after every hunt. Meaning if it is misty during the out in the woods, you need to clean the gun that night and every night if you don't have a stainless steel rifle. Otherwise, rust sets in very easily.

I am retiring my 30.06 and am really leaning towards a .270 after borrowing one this season. I like the way they it felt and the way it shot. I am thinking of gowing with the stainless barrel and bolt action...after having a blued barrel on everything else I have and bolts and semi-autos, I prefer the bolt action.

Thanks for all the great input I appreciate it. Any particular gun shops let you take guns for test drives?

Has anyone had good luck with purchasing a used firearm or am I better off spending some more money and getting a new one?

If you have a 22-250 already than you have the varmits covered. I would go a bit bigger than the .243 however after that the choice can be overwhelming. I personally stay away from the 30-06 if you want a .30 the .308 is much more accurate. I own and .270 and love that. However there are some great others out there the new .25 wssm is a cool cartridge. I also really like the .260 and 6.5 x55 sweede.Then there is the 7mm-08 another of my favorites. for me I actually shoot the 30-30 it is perfect for my situation even owning a .270win. Honestly there are so many great choices out there. I would figure out what type of game you may use it for. And where you will be using it. That would be my deciding factor. Do you want some very fast and flat? or do you want something with major punch? or maybe you want something in between.

I love my Tikka .270 WSM topped with a Nikon Monarch UCC 3x9-40 scope. Shot 2 deer this past weekend. It's my miniature cannon. Packs a punch on the deer not on your arm.

Seriously go to Scheels and take a look at them. The bolt is ever so smooth.

I went with the Stainless Synthetic style. Couldnt be happier.

Quote:

Just my pitch for the trusty old '06... Good luck with your shopping!

Yeah, I'd agree in concept.

I tend to stay with the "old reliable" calibers. There are a many good new ones around today, but will they be around tomorrow, so to speak?

I'm pretty confident .243, .270, 30-06, etc. will be.

Thats gonna leave a big hole in those yotes. Got my new bullets and got her clicked in. Might make a call or two this weekend. But if the ducks are still here who knows, i need to bowhunt to, those biggens should be out of there foxholes this weekend to. Shae- you getting ready to bust some yotes soon.

Gettin bullets for the .223 on thursday. Found a few new spots during deer hunting, the season is here and im excited.

A. Shae

I have both a .270 and a 30-O6 and my go to gun is the .270 I have taken several with both. A .270 with Winchester 130 grain power points and you are set to take deer, pronghorn, varmit. It is a great all around gun and load. The 25-O6 would be pretty good for what you are asking for though too.

iffwalleye

Yay someone who agrees with me. As soon as i can fork up the money i am getting one too. Havent decided what kind. Either the Ruger with a trigger job or a Tikka T3 stainless

Quote:

25-06

Enough said there

I would definitely agree having used it on everything out West. However, the 'other' .25 has me sold :-)

C'mon you guys! Sure, if you hit a deer RIGHT with a tiny 22.250 bullet it WILL kill it-maybe instantly, probably not. We own an obligation to the game to make quick, clean kills. Ever watched a sick doe staggering around with one front leg almost blown off? I mean DAYS after the season is over. Or a gut shot one in your driveway, like I found last fall, with a tiny entrance hole. Use enough gun.

Oh.And whoever it was made the 385 yard knockdown kill on a deer with his .270 has my undying respect. I've spent fifty years hunting, including forty years all over Alaska and the north and I've never shot at anything that far away and have never MET anybody who has! HA! Marvelous shooting mate!

My guess is you were born in the 50's.The 3006 is a fine weapon but mid range in all bullistics,so many choices in todays rifles.good gun if you never leave the woods.

Well it wasn't a .270 but my boss took a pronghorn at 370 yards lasered with a Browning High wall .25-06 and I took a doe and a buck pronghorn with a .25-06 and a .280 lasered each at 270 and 269 yards respectivly.

Just comes back to knowing what your rifle and ammo are capable of by loading ballistics and range time.

I am not sure i understand your point, a gut shot with a 30-06 and a gut shot with a 22-250 will have the same effect. same with the leg shot. If other states find it legal then so be it, just hit where you are supposed to and you should have a problem. people in canada take 100+ pound wolves with the 22-250 with no problem, so why wouldn't that work with a deer.

Quote:

My guess is you were born in the 50's.The 3006 is a fine weapon but mid range in all bullistics,so many choices in todays rifles.good gun if you never leave the woods.

What a ridiculous statement. Actually I was born in 1971 and I would still chose my '06 as the most versatile gun out there. Go to any hunting camp and about 1/2 or more of the guns will be 30-06's and there is good reason. With all the tags we get in Wisconsin, I've killed so darn many deer with my 30-06 I can't even count them all anymore and hardly any were in the woods. It's hunted with me in four different states and never failed me, not even on my bull elk this year.

If you think you need so much more gun, you must be lacking in hunting skills and feeling like you need to compensate!

Rooster: If you read my post again you'll see that I did NOT say a 22-250 won't kill a deer. My point, and I make it time and again, is that we have an obligation to make quick, clean kills and GENERALLY a larger caliber, heavier bullet will do that better. So WHAT is the point of the 22-250? Just that you CAN do it? A trick shot?Why, why why? Use the 22-250 for what it is and was intended for. And just so you'll know-I was shooting a 22-250 bullpup in 1956!At crows.The thought of using if for game never entered anybodys mind. At least any rational minds! HA!

Oh...the other post about the 300+ yard shots. Sure. Don't doubt it a bit. Wide open country. Can you often see 385 yards in the midwest?

Toil on mi amigos, toil on.

Atually, due to low recoil, an average person growing up on a 22-250 will more than likely make better shots than an average person growing up on a much bigger caliber and flinching at the recoil. For that reason, a 22-250 will be better at killing deer because shot placement is better.

Would I use a 22-250 in Minnesota, if it is legal? You bet. But then again, I can take the head off of a squirrel from 100 yards away with my 300 Win mag.