• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Big Bad Pelcian this past Saturday night!!

Well, my buddy and I experienced the most brutal conditions we have ever experienced on a body of open water this past Saturday at Pelican. With 30 mph straight wind and 35+ mph gusts (and not to mention, lower 20's in temp), Pelican had 3 - 4 ft rollers this past Saturday. My buddy and I went to hit our Pelican honey hole right after the Bison game this past Saturday at about 4:00 PM. We got on the water by 5:15 and proceded to try and get anchored on our spot and were getting completley blown - it was like the anchors weren't even in the water! We attempted to go to the other side of the point we usually are by in order to get out of the wind, but that area was a huge 6 ft. flat. We decided to try one other area that is by our honey hole and that was a little protected from the wind. We stayed in that spot for about an hour and a half and actually ended up catching 3 eyes. 2 of them were 12 inchers and the other one was a 16 incher. I caught the 16 incher and there is a crazy story that goes along with that: I went to set the hook when my lighted slip bobber went down and completely broke my line off because it was that downright cold. Well, my bobber was in reach and a foot under the water and I wasn't about to let my $10.00 lighted bober get away - so, I reached into the 34 degree water elbow deep and pulled my 16 incher out with it!! WOW! Was I cold after that!! Not to mention, my orange gear jacket was molded in a frozen shell from all the water we took right in the face while driving out to our spot. Not only that, but the water that was splashing in the boat from taking up the anchors so many times in our futile atttempts to get positioned was freezing to the boat instantly! My boat was a warzone afterwards as there was frozen water and weeds all over from trying to anchor so many times!!

All in all, it was a story to remember. One other thing to mention: my buddy and I looked at the GPS and saw that it was 8:10 PM when we left our spot however, when we got in, we saw that it was 7:30 and then I remembered that I forgot to set my GPS for daylight savings!! Too many distractions for me to remember that! smile.gif So, we did actually miss the hot time which is usually at around 7:30 (has been for us in the past anyways), but I think I am glad that we got off the beast that was Pelcian this past Saturday in a quick fashion.

To top it all off, the ramp was icy and it was complicated to get out, and the next day, my buddy was sick as heck!! Also, my truck will be in the shop yet again for what I think is back brakes and a shot bearing - I can smell like burning rubber or something from a back wheel and my truck shakes real bad when getting it over 50 mph... This is the last straw, I am making this fix and am going to sell it and get my RAM 2500 Cummins!! (of course, after this fix, my truck will probably be all nice and then I will have remourse when getting rid of her!! Most likely not though... smile.gif)

The boat is going back into storage now and ice fishing is right around the corner.. Trust me!! crazy.gifcrazy.gif

Wow thats crazy! I know a good honest salesperson who sells Dodge if you need a good honest salesperson laugh.gif...let me know...can't wait for ice fishin!!!

Cool report, Bison.

Based on goofy temps, I think i will keep my boat opperational for the next week or so. Try to hit the lake this weekend and maybe some Phesants if we can find them.

Hitman

Yeah, my buddy and I are crazy...

As it turns out, I was getting in my truck to drive it yesterday and it wasn't moving great when I first started to push the gas - I then for the heck of it decided to reach down and pull the parking break (even though the parking break indicator on the dash wasn't on...) and WALLA! The parking break was in!! crazy.gif

I let my buddy pull my trailer out of the water this past Saturday night and he engaged the parking break - either he did, or I did when getting the boat in later that night... Needless to say, my parking break indicator on the dash is shot and that makes for a pretty bad deal. But, I still think I am going to sell this truck and get into a new one... What a crazy deal!

Yeah, you guys are nuts.

Mind if I fish where you told me you did last year?

Like to try that spot this winter.

You went through a guy's yard you know on Pelican, right?

There's actually a private landing down there, but since we were able to drive the truck on the ice and then park it there by shore, we weren't causing any undue hardship to the house owners down there.

It's kind of hard to explain exactly where we were, but the private launch is right by our spot... Also, if you do try that spot, make sure you are right at the base of that plateau drop in like 20 -22 feet. That is by far the magic number. You have to be right there to have luck... It will be 20 -22 ft in one hole and then literally 3 to 4 steps towards shore and it will be 7 ft! It is a mighty drop.

I would be willing to bet that that is the case for many of the Pelican drops because that place we were in this past Saturday is a similar looking area and could have been real good if it wasn't gail force winds and 20 degress...

The same buddy and I are talking about maybe doing a little late Devils Lake trip this Saturday... They're still hammerin up there. I have heard a few reports, but the ones I have heard have been good. So, the decision is, watch OSU / MICH or hit the ol Big Water one more time! That's what the handheld color TV is for! The best of both worlds!

Good Luck to all!

Bison --

Not trying to steal your spot but you did tell me where it was and how to get there.

Let us know how Devils Lake goes.

Thanks

Hit.

PS -- if I hit Pelican this weekend I'll let you know where we got 'em.

Hey man, no problem - I love to share fishing spots with people. In this particular spot, there are so many walleyes swarming around, it really doesn't matter... I would love to be able to have a camera that works past sundown. My buddy and I were discussing how many walleyes we'd probably see in that spot if we had one of those. There'd be hundreds I'll bet... I remember, two times ago when we went out - we caught 20 - 25 (granted they were all 12 - 14 inchers with the occasional 16 incher) and probably missed another 10 or so... It's a hot spot that we love to hit and it is hard to hit any other spot! Good Luck

As for Devils this weekend, it will be a gametime decision - the weather looks like it will be great, but I may not be able to get out there. I'll let you know!

Bison --

10 inchers is right up my alley. Half the reason I want a house out there this year is to BS with you and if you can get your Dad out there.

Your auger still running?

I hope to get a new camera this year. 90 percent sure I will.

Anyone know any new info on new cameras?

Yeah, my Dad lives in Wisco, but he has come for some trips before. He never has come up for ice fishing. This year may be the year!

they had a sale on the marcum v250s earlier this fall, I don't know if it's still on. I know the marcum made for Cabelas v350 was cheaper than the marcum v250.

I haven't taken the Auger out of the garage yet this year, but I am going to probably do that tomorrow if I don't go to Devils... I can't believe that in the face of complete sunny skies and 8 mph wind forecasted that I am still leaning towards staying home... Either I love my wife that much or it has to be 30 mph sustained wind and 20 dgrees for me to go fishing crazy.gifconfused.gif

Anyways, my Auger blade was dulled out last year - I got a new one and I have to put that one one the Auger... Should be interesting.

I'll give a report if I decide to hit the water one last time for this Fall season...

I think i still have some blades.

Not sure if I still have any.

They can and should be sharpened -- Much Cheaper.

Drop them off at "Buds" in LP and he will switch it out with you.

Well, I hit Devils yesterday and a new Devils fisherman I brought along came with me. I have been telling him all along how awesome it has been the past 3 years. When we got up there, 70% of the water was frozen over!! We still decided to bust through about 150 yards of ice that was formed at the boat launch we pulled up to. That was no easy chore (as we broke it up using an anchor and throwing and pulling! I am sore today!) It was a beautful day on the water, but not one bite in 8 hours! That was the first time in 3 years that I left the ol' Big Water skunked. That's so typical though - you tell your buddy how awesome it is and then he finally comes with you and it sucks! confused.gif Oh well...

I think the eyes are getting into their winter pattern up there anyways (which, in mind, consists of them sitting on deep rocky points and becoming inactive! Yesterday just further reinforces my theory that Devils is a tremendously over-rated ice fishing lake because yesterday was basically ice fishing conditions and I think they have settled into their ice fishing pattern...) Oh well, it was good to get the boat out on the water one last time. A lot of work for no fish though!

The boat is going back to Wisco this Wednesday for storage. It still is way more affordable for me just haul er home instead of storing it up here... Ice fishing is just around the corner!

I wish Ice fishing was just around the corner --

With highs in middle 50s it may be a while.. I want some ICE!!!