• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Grouse Hunting in Deer Zone 1 - Safe Yet?

DewDropper89

I have sat out the last two weekends of grouse hunting in my usual areas for safety and in respect for firearms deer hunters only getting a handful of days to hunt eache year. BUT...I've got all the fall chores done and my patience is waning! Wondering if walking around in the woods on the last weekend of firearms hunting in this area would be safe or should I drive the extra miles to the West to get into Zone 2? The drive isn't the inconvenience, I just won't know the area as well. Overall, safety for myself and my dog are my top priorities, so I am looking for honest opinions - will deer hunter density be high in State Forests in Zone 1 this weekend? Will grouse hunting be an annoyance or considered inconsiderate? I am a novice grouser and haven't tried to hunt grouse during firearms deer season before. Your suggestions/opinions will be appreciated! Thanks.

In a nut shell...I'd stay out of the grouse woods during gun hunting unless you are on your own land, and even then both the dog and I'd be head to toe blaze orange and keeping an eye out for hunters. Some guys would be happy to have you drive deer around, and some would be angry.

Pheasant hunting is a bit more doable on public land because you see a lot further and tell by vehicles parked on WMA's who is hunting where.

I never want to find out how I'd handle someone shooting my dog on purpose.

I stay out. Too many red necks out there that would shoot your dog. I hunt mainly trails. If a truck is parked there, I pick another one to walk. If you did want to hunt, make sure no vehicles are around your area that has one way in and one way out. I am tempted this time of year too, but I know how some people get. Try road hunting and hit small areas where you know nobody is around.

DD89: I would stay out. I live in Zone 1 and I am chompping at the bit to get back out there, but I will not chance it with my dog. Over the past few days I have heard too many comments of "if it's brown it's down". Every year somebody dies because some hunter shoots first and then looks to see what they shot.

10-4, everybody. I hear you loud and clear. For this weekend I will play it safe and head over to Zone 2 where the main firearms season is over. But next weekend, it's back to the old haunts. Thanks for your input.