Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Barony

boat battery storage

13 posts in this topic

I pulled the batteries on the boat a month ago when I winterized it and currently have them in the shop (unheated). Last year I put them in the basement for the winter and am wondering if I really need to do that again this year. This is only the second year of boat ownership, and I'm not sure what to do with them.

Lots of talk on this already. Do a search on past posts in the past month.

I have done both. Kept them in the boat and charge them regularly thoughout the winter and also brought them in the basement on my work bench and charged them a few times a month. Both worked fine.

If you already have them out I would put them inside and charge them with a good charger that will shut off when charged. I dont like keeping a charger plugged in for extended amounts of time so I check them a few times a month.

Thanks Northlander. Looks like I can do both and will probably leave them in the shed on the charger. Just have to remember to plug it in once a week or so. For what ever reason last year, when I charged them up in the house, it set the CO2 detector off. I'm assuming the gasses coming from the batteries set it off, but it caused quite a panic in the house for a day or two.

Last winter our co detecter went off, so we had service plus come out . He checked all the gas stuff, then saw my workbench in the basement with my deep cycle's charging & that was the cause. He said hew see's it all the time and it's not very healthy, so I'm now charging in the garage.

Great info Fishfart. I guess Ill be keeping mine in the boat and use the onboard charger.

I leave mine in the boat and keep the charger plugged in ALL winter long. The batteries are 5 or 6 years old and were still going strong this summer - and they are just "normal" batteries, not the fancy Orbitals, Trojans, etc.

I have always just put a good full charge on my batteries and then unhook all the wires from them to ensure nothing is draining them. I leave them in the boat outside all winter. In the spring I put another charge on them and they are just fine. It doesn't seem to effect them at all leaving them all winter. At least that has been my experience.

I wouldnt recomend storing batteries in a boat left outside all winter in our Mn. weather/temps. Especially without charging it every so often. To each his own though.

Ditto. Batteries that are not maintained at full charge are at higher risk of freezing. Once a wet cell freezes, it'll probably be more or less worthless.

If you leave them outside, I'd put a charger on at least once a month if not every couple weeks to make sure they hold a full charge. They don't hold charge forever and older batteries may not hold it as well as newer ones.

Bob

I'll agree with you guys that my method sounds bad but in reality I've never had a problem doing it. Maybe I'm lucky. (knock on wood) wink.gif

I charge my batteries, pull the ground wires and forget about them 'till mid March. Trolling batteries (Stowaway or Werker) last 5 to 6 years.

Growing up on a farm we probably had a dozen batteries in equiptment that was used seasonaly. Never did anything but unhook the ground so they won't discharge. 25 years ago most of these implement batteries were more expensive than high end marine batteries are now, so you wouldn't leave them in the combine if you thought it would harm them.

Cold temps slow down the chemical reaction in a battery and cause it to discharge slower than at room temp if there is no draw on the battery. Summer storage in 85+ degrees will wear out a battery faster than cold storage will.

I know Gould Natl. Battery stored new batteries at 35 to 40 degrees untill shipped to distributors because it prolonged the life of the battery.

I have been keeping my boat and trolling motor batteries the same way for the past 20 years. Right or wrong it has worked for me. I make sure they are charged full pull them out of the boat and store on a wood table in the basement, halfway through the winter I wire a 12 volt headlight to each battery and drain the battery, recharge to full and then put them back in the boat come spring and charge. I get 6-8 years out of a battery. Works for me and a couple of fishing buddies who do the same thing. We would not store or charge them on a concrete floor as I was told the concrete helps drain the battery. Don't know if it was or still true but easier on the back storing them on a table.

I use the Battery minder charger and just leave it on 24/7 all the time. These chargers have a float mode and also keep the battery from sulfating. They cost pennies to run.