• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Last Trip?

Dhenry

Hit the pond last night at about 5:30 with a wind and wind chill that was a little stronger than we thought it would be. Water temp. was 37 degrees and we had to break a little ice to get back in at 1:30 am. We didn't pick up our fist fish until 7:15 ( a 15" slotter). This fish gave us a little bit of a second wind and the bite was on. We ended the night with 24 fish (including two northers) and, by far, had our best big fish night with a 29.5, 28 and approx. 12 fish over the 25" mark. The fish are absolutely stuffed. Our best bait was a HJ 12 in orange and black trolled at less than 1 mph. the best depth was from 4.5'-5.5'. We left the lake at 1:30 on a bite that had us getting a double and several fish on successive 200 yard stretches. The key was finding the bait...once we found the perch we found the walleyes. Hoping for one last trip this weekend if it doesn't freeze.

Thanks for your Post!! I can only imagine how "fat" they must be now. If you get up this weekend, do you have an open seat?????

I have never had the chance to try this, but it sounds awesome!!!! I'll contribute to the gas fund!!

Thats because they do not make them anymore. Go on Ebay for about $15 you can pick one up.

Nice report! I drooled when I drove by last night on my way back to Le Sueur from deer hunting in the North Country.

I'm trying to get one last hall pass for this weekend and also waiting to see what the weather is going to do. I'll call you later in the week to see if you're going. Did you go last weekend? We saw one other boat in the bay and they left at approx. 8:00. We were just about to put the boat on the trailer to move south at about 7:15 when our fish started to hit. The best part about sat. night was no other boats.

Dhenry, no I did not go out. I seriously thought about it but saw the SE wind up and decided to put in some quality time at home. Kind of weird getting up early on Sunday and not being tired crazy.gif I put the boat away on Sunday, if you can call it that. She sits in my garage and has come out of "storage" many times before. If you have an opening I would definately be game. I picked up another gem that needs a little trolling time wink.gif.

its been a while since ive posted. guess i feel a little sheepish and a lot humbled. you guys are probably the hardest core around and your results prove it.

i and a buddy were up to terrys on the 4th. we put in somewhere from 3-4 and fished until half past midnight. we didnt do anything like any of you...25-1/2,23-1/2,16-1/2&15-1/2 & lost some. i learned ive just got to get away from everyone. its easy to tell myself now that i had access to anywhere on the lake and didnt take advantage of it, but i guess the late season fishing trip found safety in numbers? donno.

ive still got to get the optimax winterized...saturday. now and in the spring are times when fishing isnt an option for me. i have to be able to pull the boat there or drive there...come on ice! although i do know a couple really good early ice walleye spots on mille lacs...still, walking is harder & harder for me. with the exception of putting in for a turkey permit this spring, ive given up hunting a long time ago.

is everyone religous about winterizing their outboard? i worked with a guy who parked it in his back yard in the fall and took it out in the spring without doing anything. he had it for pretty many years at that time. last fall, the first for me with the boat, it went to the dealer...cha-ching! it started right up this spring...but i wonder...

thanks for all the inspiration and knowledge. im a faithful reader and novice walleye fisherman. hope someday to meet on the lake when the fish are biting and the weather is beautiful.

regards,

minnesotatuff

I don't winterize my boat. On my last outing I run the boat out of the water for approx. 30 seconds tilt my motor down when I put it in the garage. I have had no problem storing over the winter in my garage although some winters I wonder if its going to be ok when I start up in the spring. I've got an older outboard (92 mercury).

The other way to do this is to take a red permanent marker over a firetiger colored bait. You can get pretty close to the same look and its a lot cheaper.

I'll give that a try, thanks!!!!Are you going to get up there one more time, if so do you have an opening?? I have never done this on Mille Lacs.

rodmaker, don't get too hung up on one color. We had several colors go very hot on us this fall, depending on the time of night moon phases, etc. This can change on any given night. Bring along a few of the common colors you read about on this site, but don't be afraid to experiment out there.

Mike is right on, many many colors work and to tell you the truth red is seldom one of the better choices. It does have it's nights but overall you'd be much better off with Firetigers, chromes, silvers, golds RB trout, perch and clowns. I have not been up in a week but I gatta assume the bays are locked up now?

Mykal, bigeyes

Thanks for the tips!!! I don't have any Cranks for trolling Mille Lacs. I just have a handful of Shad Raps that I use up in Ely. I need to start purchasing some. Just looking for what has worked for everyone this Fall. What do you guys use in determining your color choices and size of Crank when you start fishing or as the eve goes on

It would be nice to have you two, Dhenry & Paul give me recommondations / tips for the Fall bite. How to start in early Sept, location lure size depth, and how this changes as the season goes on until Nov.

Thanks again, any information would be very helpful.

I looked at the forecast for next week. Temps are suppose to be anywhere from low to upper 40's. Tues maybe 52.

Lure selection depends partially on how deep you want to fish? Good fish are caught from 1'-14'. In September you can use those shad raps or shallow shads. As you cross into November slowly start giving more time to the sticks and by the end of the month it will be all sticks. You could get many opinons on exact lure/size/color the reason for that is they really all work and the fish don't seem to care too much. I would keep it easy on the wallet and start with #12 husky in Firetiger, clown and gold, buy a couple of #10 husky in same colors and then suspending rogue in lazer craw, gold, clown, firetiger and if you can't catch fish on those... it is not going to happen that night, best to pack it in and hit em when they are biting. Good luck. My opinion on #14 are they are great but unfortunatly this lake is absolutly full of huge muskie and if you choose to run sizes like that you will catch more muskie than you care to handle. If you are a walleye guy I would skip these bigger stuff, just asking for trouble.

Bigeyes!

Thanks for the info. cool.gif I've never done this but am looking forward to this next Fall. I'll slowly build up my supply over the Winter on Husky Jerks sizes 10 through 12 with a few 14's!!, and Shad Raps also. I've never caught a Muskie, moreless in the dark. Sounds like a blast cool.gif

Do you fish the West side (Suguchi area)?? Pretty much an East Side guy.

After the Holidays, I'll be heading up to Thorne Bros and tie up a Crank rod. G Loomis IMX P844, extend the handle and make it 7'10".

If anyone needs a Walleye rod, let me know, I have time to tie up 4 addt'l rods besides mine. I can get prices for anyone interested.

Thanks again!!

Rodmaker.