Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sachem longrifle

Will this work?

11 posts in this topic

As I have posted before, the gunnels on my Navigator were too narrow for my downriggers. I have received many suggestions and appreciate it. One idea I was thinking about is taking a small 2x6 as opposed to a long one across the bow. I would take that board, bolt it through the gunnel with a backing under that, and then bolt the downrigger to the board directly. Will this work?

Im not sure what your saying. I wouldnt drill holes to put would there. Did you look at the pursuit tracks? Im thinking you may be able to bolt them on that gunnel. How wide is it again?

Slightly under 4"

I dont want a track that goes completely over the back as it would either be hard to tip the motor or decrease my room to get back there.

I see a product at Marine General called "Berts Downrigger Mounting System." Can you mount that directly to the boat or does that have to go on a tracking system?

Sachem you need to come take a look at my boat and Ill show ya what I mean. How wide is your gunnel rail? If your gunnel is 4" or wider you can use these track systems. Maybe even if it 3.5" wide. My gunnel is 4.5" wide and the mount is 3.5" wide by 12" long and bolts on with 6 screws. From looking at picks of the Navigator on the Alumacraft site Im thinking these could work. Or I can come look at your boat and see what I think. Is it a tiller or wheel?

Look in the generals website and look up the track systems for pursuit or burts. Then you will need a swivel mount to slide in the track and mount your riggers on them. Sounds harder than it is.

My e-mail is below. I have the next 2 days off and Im up late.

Sachem

You could also get the smaller "tracks" from Pursuit. The 6" model. Secure these either length wise of width wise across the two back corners of the transom. Then get the 6" swivel pedestal bases, or pedestals high enough for your riggers to get over the transom, to attach your riggers. This way, your riggers will be straight off the transom and might be easier then monkeying around with trying to put a track on that narrow gunnel or a board type set-up.

I have a Navigator too and would be interested to see pics of the setup on your Explorer if you have any available. They are pretty comparable boats so I think whatever you have setup would work on a Navigator.

Ill try to post some pics for you guys.

Here you go.

N'lander's boat

mount.JPG

Regardless of having a tiler our counsel this set up should work for you. You'll need a backer that spans the full width of your gunwale from the outside conner cap to inside corner to anchor the mount.

What you suggested earlier using a block of wood to mount the downrigger base to will work, downside is you can't remover it.

Quote:

Here you go.

N'lander's boat

mount.JPG

Regardless of having a tiler our counsel this set up should work for you. You'll need a backer that spans the full width of your gunwale from the outside conner cap to inside corner to anchor the mount.

What you suggested earlier using a block of wood to mount the downrigger base to will work, downside is you can't remover it.

Ok I see how you do that with the tracking bar.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Stick in Mud

Posted

We've done OK out there this year. Nothing special, but better for us than last year. 

Last time out, we found piles of fish in 60-70 feet. Caught a few, couldn't release them, and stopped fishing them.  Got a couple jig rapping shallower, got a few trolling, and got a few on spinners.  No one pattern got skunked, but nothing stood out, either.

• Stick in Mud

Posted

Sorry for the late response....I suspect not many folks are building skid houses these days. :)

Our houses have steel skids.  One had wood, but we changed them out. 

• if you ever need another shooter let me know I would be down to shoot with you

• FrazerBay

Posted

Like the food and like the menu. Like the fact there are places to eat on the lake and will continue to support them.

1 person likes this
    • delcecchi

Posted

Thanks, cigar guy.   Might check into it next year.  Or maybe not.   They always used to have some expensive entrees but we just ignored them.   

Even 12 for a burger is sort of high for the area, but the view is worth something.   Probably stay with the Crescent.   I don't see how there are enough tourists for the landing to make it. 

• jigginjim

Posted

I have put my guide clients on lots of pike this summer. So far largest bass is 21"- 5lbs  Pike 36" Approx. 8-9lbs, Walleye is 23 inches 3lbs. The walleyes will get better as the water cools. Time to start jigging, everything you got. I'm even started using my crankbaits.

• bassbouncer

Posted

I'm a local and yes we boycott the place. Friends have been told that they aren't wanted there that they only want the tourist business. Wife and I boat to Wolf Bay when we go out. We live 2 miles from the landing and wish it was still run by Jack.

• RoosterMan

Posted

Well I made a decision to put the trolling rods away and go do some jigging.   It seemed to be a good one.  I concentrated on rocky transition areas.  I had three slot fish in an hour.  Went back in for some VC pizza and picked my kids up and went back out for a evening trolling run and that produced as well.  You have to love this lake.  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2 people like this
    • CigarGuy

Posted

We have friends up and they wanted to take us out for dinner, via the boat.  With the wind, the only place was the landing, I tried vetoing It, but lost out.  Had $12.00 burger and fries.  Very good and the service was fast-only 8 others in the dinning area and a few at the bar.  I checked the prices on the wings-$16.00 for 1-1/2lbs.  Del, they had a pretty good burger menu.  I asked about the 20% off deal and the waiter blew me off and said he didn't know anything about it.  I asked who I should talk to, he said the manager or the owner.  We paid the bill and left without asking.  I liked it a few winters ago when they had ,25 wings and 2.00 beers.

• knoppers

Posted

seen enough grouse to keep me interested, lots of turkeys, seems they and the deer are everywhere this fall. did not here much shooting from the duck hunters though.

• Stick in Mud
      We've done OK out there this year. Nothing special, but better for us than last year.  Last time out, we found piles of fish in 60-70 feet. Caught a few, couldn't release them, and stopped fishing them.  Got a couple jig rapping shallower, got a few trolling, and got a few on spinners.  No one pattern got skunked, but nothing stood out, either.
    • Stick in Mud
      Sorry for the late response....I suspect not many folks are building skid houses these days. Our houses have steel skids.  One had wood, but we changed them out. 
    • ZachD
      if you ever need another shooter let me know I would be down to shoot with you
    • FrazerBay
      Like the food and like the menu. Like the fact there are places to eat on the lake and will continue to support them.
    • delcecchi
      Thanks, cigar guy.   Might check into it next year.  Or maybe not.   They always used to have some expensive entrees but we just ignored them.    Even 12 for a burger is sort of high for the area, but the view is worth something.   Probably stay with the Crescent.   I don't see how there are enough tourists for the landing to make it.