• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

3rd annual 1st Ice "Muskrat Love"event on Fish Lake SAT DEC 9th

Hey randy I will be up there about the same time sat. Got to stop up at the corner and get dsl up and running.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• SKIPPERS KID

• ripstick

• Wade Joseph

Maybe I missed it in the 16 pages but what time is everyone trying to get out there? Being I have never been there before I may need some friendly directional advice from a fellow fm'er.

Ryan

main flow probably around 9-930, but also has been stated some folks will be there around 8.

I myslef will be there probably 830 or so with wheeler & 4x8 trailer so there will be plenty of room to throw more houses/augers etc on and carry out.

if you need directions, post on here, and one of us will be happy to give them up. Pretty simple trip (if you know where Blue Max, Minnowette, High Banks, or Eagles Nest is located, you are just minutes from where we will be.)

I'll have some tip ups, walleye poles, and a setup for crappie. Going to get some bait/beverages from Tim, then were set.

Since i will be bringing the 4x8, i'll have along my full size propane grill (just because there might be a few of us wanting to cook). So...everyone bring along some meat, sausage, hot dogs, or anythign else you would like to grill up..There will be plenty of room.

Looks like myself, Jonny P, and Deitz will be road-trippin' it up there this weekend. We plan on getting there around 8-9, then looking for locals like Frank, Northlander, LoonASea, Tom, and/or PapaWoodie. smile.gif

Our gameplan will unravel and be determined by he who tells the best fish-lie and points across the lake most-convincingly.

Hope to see you all there, will bring two-ways, what's the assigned FM channel?

Joel

If ya get there and don't find any of us, don't let someone lead you to the "d a m" area. Naughty area of the lake this time of year. Bridge is also bad. You will cross a bridge, and most likely have open water under it. It usually does.

Steve(northlander), Tom (BD110) and I all have Red Ford trucks.... Tom and Steve both have FM logos, I don't. Should be rather easy to spot one of us!

Quote:

Looks like myself, Jonny P, and Deitz will be road-trippin' it up there this weekend. We plan on getting there around 8-9, then looking for locals like Frank, Northlander, LoonASea, Tom, and/or PapaWoodie.
smile.gif

Our gameplan will unravel and be determined by he who tells the best fish-lie and points across the lake most-convincingly.

Hope to see you all there, will bring two-ways, what's the assigned FM channel?

Joel

Some guys will be heading out early, like 1st light and other will stragle in about 8am and some 9ish. We will hit the lake and most will set up in 1 area and socialize while others will be on search and destroy missions. 2 ways are ok up there but cels are better. #s can be ecxhnaged on ice.

Tim at Highbanks also will have my # and will let all late comers know where we are and how to get a hold of us.

Sounds like a lot of wheelers and sleds and grills so thats good.

All you guys coming from out of town will have directions posted here asap.

I will be at Hi Banks about 8am to help people get orientated.

Hey Xplorer,

Are your bringing little guy with you on Sat too? If you are I might bring my son since it will be a little warmer. From my understanding they're 2 peas in a pod at school if I am not mistaken. I stopped by Esko school today and I think I saw your kid there in pre-school. I am setting aside finishing my ice house up this weekend so I can go fishing.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Who's getting excited!

Jr has a curling tourney Sat and Sun so I'll be solo.

Directions from Cloquet

Exit off of I35 and onto Hwy 33(Cloquet exit)

Drive through Cloquet on Hwy 33

Exit off Hwy 33 and take US-2 ramp toward GRAND RAPIDS / DULUTH.

Turn left on Canosia rd.

You'll come to a stop at hwy 53

Cross Hwy 53(both north and south bound lanes.)

You'll be pointed at the Twig Store once you get across the hwy.

Continue on Industrial rd(Hwy7)

You'll cross the RR tracks then come to an intersection with a 4 way Stop.

Take that left on Munger Shaw rd.

Go down the Munger Shaw for quite aways till you

See Fish Lake Dam RD / CR-285. Take that right turn there.

I short drive and the road turns to the right, High Banks Resort is just after the bend in the road on the left side.

If you go too far you'll end up at the Damm.

Heres a quick report from last Saturday.

Ice thickness 5"

Target fish: eyes

Chubs on tipups out produced jigging by far.

Even a subtle jigging action scattered fish.

Perch were predominant on tipups and jigs but eyes were scattered in the the perch.

Keep plugging away and it'll happen.

Pike:

Since I didn't go after pike but know Tom did,

Pike on tipups with smelt gave some good results.

Gills:

I suspect some of those skidish fish I marked on the sounder could've been gills. If gills are you target fish then bring waxies ir maggots. Fish Lake had a great bite with huge gills this summer.

We'll be spread out on the lake, If you have a radio, bring it along. Our FM designated channel is 7.

Sounds like we'll have a couple sleds and wheelers to get guys out to where we'll be. If ya got one bring it, we could us your help in getting guys in and off the lake.

Man, makes me nostalgic for last year's Fish Lake gathering! grin.gif

Unfortunately, I'll be working all of Saturday afternoon, so I won't be coming down. frown.gif

Good luck, everybody, and we'll see you up here for the Burntside Bash at the end of next month. grin.gif

Well dock island it is. Got the stove and camera ready to go.and xtra 1# bottles.Hey frank did anyone say if they wanted that pair of iceman.

I think Frank and Bigcountry were going to snow wrestle for them. Bring them and Frank can take them or give them to BC along with the FB's BC wanted.

Im hitting it tomorrow all day and try a bunch of spots out for gills, crappies. We all know eye spots for the magical hour before sunset.

No one has said if they have a wheeler but no trailer...if so I will bring mine as I have trailer and no wheeler. I figure to be there around 7-8am.

Green F150 with "Fishahollik" on the bug deflector.

HERE COMES JONNY!

Quote:

My game plan; Ask Frank where to fish, have Joel dril the holes, have Deitz show me how to set-up my house, have Rick take pictures of me and trophy fish then have Paul show me how to load my sled on my trailer. This trip is gonna rock!

grin.gif

Quote:

My game plan; Ask Frank where to fish, have Joel dril the holes, have Deitz show me how to set-up my house, have Rick take pictures of me and trophy fish then have Paul show me how to load my sled on my trailer. This trip is gonna rock!

Now that there's funny!!!!!!!!!!!! grin.gif

I dont know about asking frank where to fish. with any luck he can show us a new dance step from what I hear.

Well there goes the neighborhood. Just got late word that Dennis Steele will also be joining the festivities blush.gifgrin.gif

OK, now I'm really pi$$ed. I've seen all the usual cast of characters there, but if Dennis has shaken the dust off his gear and will be coming out, it REALLY sucks that I am stuck working Saturday afternoon. mad.gif

You all better make S.T. and Northlander dance hard. grin.gif

Dennis, there is a secret laker spot waiting for you on Burntside that only I know about. And no, you other slobs, don't bother to speculate. I NEVER reveal my spots. Uh, I mean, sources. grin.gif

Joel,

He wont be with me on Sat, he and Mom have other plans with some kids to go see Santa and the reindeer. We will be out on chub on sunday, probably get there about 11:30 after sunday school. I've got a green toyota,green sled and green Otter that we'll be in, stop out if you have time.

TheMinnow/Mark, thanks for the ice report, if your out there look for us, should be out for most of the afternoon. We spend quite a bit of time fishing chub, since the action is usually decent for gills/sunnies.

Bill, the trailer is fixed so I plan on being at Tim's about 7 to pickup bait and then head out on the sled. I have to drive up to Bemidji tomorrow for work so wont be back til late and wont have a chance to get bait tomorrow. If you need a ride out let me know.

Well me and my buddy are going to be at highbanks about 9. We will be in either a red silverado or a Pewter silveado pulling a trailer with 2 fourwheelers. Im grabbing a two way radio, and Will have it set up on channel 7... Looking forward to it!

Man this thing is out of control. I hope Tim has room in his parking lot for all our vehicles. When you get there and go in the bar and tel Tim your with FishingMn and he will wave your access fee. Make sure you get bait, beverages and food from him for all he does for this event.

Ah, what the heck..if there aint room to park I'll just drive on out to where everyone is. Who can run the fastest?

I am kidding! laugh.gif

I'll be in the neighborhood. Probably find myself along the north shore in a green Otter Den...walking out east (not west for sure) from the public access.

Wellesy

Wellesy Welcome aboard WE will be at hi-banks if you need a ride out on the ICE and fish with the boy's. It will be all FM at tims in the am show up by 8-am and have some fun and meet one another smirk.gif

Skippers,

Thanks, pleasure to be here...I've been following for quite some time now. If I get my act together fast enough in morning, I'll look for you at Highbanks.

Couple of questions.

1. What time in the morning can I get bait from highbanks?, because I was planning on being there by 7am.

2. What type of bait/minnows?

3. Anyone willing to release info on thier best walleye rig grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.giftongue.giftongue.gifwink.gifwink.gif

Ryan

Ely,

I have always done well in early ice season on Fish Lake with a 1/4 oz green buckshot tipped with a minnow head. Gold angel eye jr's tipped the same have been awesome as well.

Wellesy

I'll be on the ice around 7am, is it going to be safe to run quads out? anyone here from papawoodie lately?

Nick, I'll be @ highbanks @ 8am tomorrow.

Going to be a tough one. Should be out of the bar around 330 or 4.

This bartending business is starting to get in the way of my habbits!

Got paid today, darn Gander Mountain just took a nice chunk out of it. Owell. Got a new power auger out of the deal plus tons of fishing gear!

I will be heading up in the morning also with my neighbor.

I will be pulling the sleds, any new ice reports ? Steve give me a call when you get a chance tonight. I will be putzin around , getting things ready to go. I hope to be there about 7, so I have a little bit of room to unload.