• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

CO Ticket For No Date on Tag!

Rainydaze

Surely this must be worded as politically correct as possible so I don't risk hurting someones already fragile ego, but since were still living in America I'll try exercise my right of free speech. I've always prided myself on being a law abiding sportsman both in the woods and on the water. I've went out of my way to abide by the laws in which serve as a guideline for my participation in both hunting and fishing. My concern is whether the emphasis in on raising funds or actually being concerned for our natural resources. Recently on our annual deer hunting trip all was going well. We had seen and harvested some nice deer. It was around 9:30 p.m and we were all fast asleep in our camper (Long day in the woods) when our door was being pounded on by the local CO. I was asked to step outside. Still foggy after being woke up and surprised I was drilled about a deer I had tagged and was hanging in the tree. Seems I forgot to notch the time the deer was shot on my site tag. In all honesty I had always thought this was for stats anyway. Nonetheless I was ticketed! I was then told that this was because I could take the tag off that deer and put it on another deer. HMMMN! I replied O.K., but how would notching the time solve that problem? They told me that they would be able to determine the time of death by looking at the deer. I replied by stating that this was a oversight, and obviously wasn't an attempt to break the law. To make a long story short I was ticketed period. I've witnessed numerous laws intentionally broken, and have made attempts to contact the proper authorities with zero luck. Most of these instances have had to do with atv violations during deer hunting. I'm sure I am misunderstanding the overall job description of our CO's in which all sportsman employ, but isn't it to serve, preserve and educate. I am disgusted, and may add that it would seem quite evident to me that if I was attempting to break the law I wouldn't have hung my deer in plain view with my tag on it! for all to see! I hope the money goes to good use in protecting our future so more hardcore lawbreakers like myself can be sought out. I might also add that after our extensive conversation the same guy and atv was riding around all day again; Sorry you couldn't find the time to make it back, and please don't tell me again that you haven't been notified. Good Day! Good Hunting! I will continue to jump through all the hoops you have the authority to throw my way, and thank you for outlining the rule in the rule book. Might seem oversimplified, but I'd gladly fork out the extra 50 cents for a permanent tag rather than the cheap piece of paper in which apparently is a highly volatile operation. Seems if you come out with a permanent tag you would eliminate this problem, but I suppose might reduce the late night fundraising expeditions. We were hunting in the Orr, Mn area in which we have hunted for the last 30 years.