• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Scope Choice?

8-Ball

I need some pointers for a scope to put on my Marlin 35 Rem. lever action. I tried it out this past weekend w/ open sights, but it just did not work out the way I had hoped. I realize there are many different sizes/choices, and I have gotten a few opinions at local gun shops. I also realize scope choice depends on the type of hunting I will be doing and where. Sometimes in the woods, sometimes in a stand on the edge of woods looking across a field. So, what is my best option for scope power and brand? I don't want/need top of the line. I don't plan on buying a $39.99 scope either. Between $150 and $200 I guess. Thanks in advance. 8-Ball.

Since your putting this on a 35 and I think its a lever action correct? A straight 4x Bushnell or even (gasp) Tasco should do you just fine. Your gonna be throwing rocks at a 12 inch diameter kill zone at under 150yds, not pricision shooting trying to thread a needle at 400.

When I was looking for a new scope I went to a sporting goods store and told them the price range I was looking at and looked at all the scopes that were in that range. I looked through Leupolds, Nikon's and Swift. The scope that was the most clear was the Swift and it was cheaper than the others. I ended up getting a 3x9x40 for about $130. I am very happy with this scope and I don't think I made the wrong choice. I would suggest that you go to a sporting goods store and look through all the scopes side by side and see which is the most clear for you.

I have used many different scopes.I really like my Leupolds and a few years ago put a Bushnell Elite 3200 on my 300 mag.I have been very happy with the scope and have shot deer at 350 yards standing and this weekend shot one at 310 on the dead run.It works well under lowlight conditions and has held up well on my 300.

I bought this scope simply because the guy that sold me the Leupolds said that this scope would work fine and hold up well even with the 300.

I would buy one again.

I'm well aware that I'm in the minority on this, but I just don't like Leopold scopes anymore. I have a vari-x2 and I'm going to upgrade it to a Nikon Monarch UCC before next year. The Vari-XIII is a good scope I know, but its far more expensive than the Nikon of similar quality. As soon as this one's gone, I'll be all Nikon in binos and scopes.

Jeff,thats why the gun shop told me to try the Elite scope,less money than a Leupold and just as good and I have been happy with it.

I have not bought a new scope for several years. However, when I was looking at them, I thought the Leupold Vari-X II was the best price vs. performance at the time - might be different now. I ended up getting the 3-9x40 for my .270.

For the Marlin .3 and a combination of woods and open field use, I might be inclined to look at some thing with less magnification such as 2-7x, or maybe even something like a shotgun scope with 1.5-4x.

I put a Bushnell Trophy 1.75-4x (with the "turkey" circle-x reticle) on my slug barrel and it's worked out really well.

My father-in-law gave me a new Marlin .35 Remington lever action rifle last year. It has a Simmons 3x9x40. The past two years I have had trouble sighting in the rifle. I am not sure if that is me or the scope though. The guy that I hunt with thinks it might be due to the scope. I am never sure since I am new to shooting and seem to flinch when I fire.

Buy as much scope as you can afford. All scopes perform the same in a lighted store, you need to get them out in the dusk/night of the parking lot and see which ones in your price range perform the best.

Using KIS: The bigger the objective the more light it lets in. You are not going to need and big magnifecation for what your using. Just somthing that can get light to your eye.

With the correct optics, you will run out of legal shooting time WAY before you run out of light.

Leupold Veri X III on my Son's 280.

Leupold Veri X I on my 7MM.

Everyone in our camp agrees...these beat the 12 other scopes in camp. These are not new scopes...they have some miles on them...that is when the quality will show.

Quote:

Leupold Veri X III on my Son's 280.

Leupold Veri X I on my 7MM.

Everyone in our camp agrees...these beat the 12 other scopes in camp. These are not new scopes...they have some miles on them...that is when the quality will show.

When a VX-I out shines all other scopes, your group must not have good scopes. Leupolds are good but to get the brightness, you will have to go at least with the VX-II. I have compared them side by side with zeiss and nikon. The only VX that was even close to a zeiss conquest was a VX-III: in terms of brightness.

Thanks to all for the info. I have looked through a bunch of different scopes. I will choose between a Nikon and a Burris- 3X9X40. Still deciding between those two brands. Your input is much appreciated. 8-Ball.

Between a Burris and a Nikon, I would purchase the Burris. Burris has a longer eye relief which means you will be more comfortable shouldering the rifle and will have less opportunities to put ring scars around your shooting eye.

Quality scopes between $150-$200? My four best guesses would be..

1.Leupold Rifleman 3x9 = $199 (or the 2x7 for $179)

2.Nikon ProStaff 3x9= $149

3.Nikon Buckmaster 3x9=$199

4.Burris Fullfield 3x9= $199

I have a Nikon Buckmaster and love it. Now I am looking to upgrade scopes on my slug gun and I am fairly sure it will be one of these scopes.

I put together a dedicated brush gun last spring. Ended up choosing a 1.5-6x42 Sightron SII. Got it NIB off of EBay for about $175. Taken deer at 129, 175, 50 and 75 yards with it so far this year. (Early Doe, MN Opener, MN opener, ND). The first two field hunting at 6x, the last two runners in the woods at 1.5x.

Nice scope, good at low light, perfect range of magnification for my 7x57.

8-ball:

No, I haven't had a chance to get out to a range. This will only be the third year that I have hunted. Prior to that, I had not even shot a rifle.

Do you know of any ranges in the north metro? I remember hearing about one in Blaine. Are there any that I could just go to and practice, or are most shooting ranges members only?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Bill's Gun Range North 763-792-4867

U don't have to be a member either. They offer a indoor 50yrd range, which should get u on target..

WH- Ditto what Special said.. You can also find a list of all Mn. gun ranges on the DNR website, I believe. Once you get your rifle sighted in, your odds will go up big-time. Pretty tough to be accurate w/out getting it sighted in first...Many ranges are not members-only type deal. Good luck.

Thanks for the information guys.

I do have the rifle sighted in for the WI opener on Saturday. I was up a few months ago and went through a little more than a box trying to get things figured out.

Last year was a lot worse. It took two boxes to get the rifle sighted in. I believe there were a few reasons for that (a new rifle that hadn't been bore sighted, the shortness of the gun and the longness of my arms, scope settings, etc.).

At least there was some improvement this year.

It still bugs me that I flinch as much as I do. I think going to a range and just getting additional practice would really help.

Thanks again!

Most of the workers at the ranges are more then willing to help you sight in. They could also offer tips on the flinching...

To get on target fast I have a tip, but you'll need an extra set of hands.

Take a shot about 25yrds at a full size rifle target. Don't take your eye off the target, an tell the other person to move the crosshairs, to the bullet hole. Your next shot should be pretty darn close to center.

Also try not to shot too many rounds through at a time. I usually shoot 3-6 rounds, then shoot my pistol or 22rifle for fun while waiting for the rifle to cool down a bit.. Plus it not to bad on your shoulder, with bigger rounds.

Good luck hunting

I am a big fan of Leupold. The are very dependable. I have had problems with Nikon and Cabelas brand. I use my scopes on shotguns with slugs and the recoil can be punishing to the point of knocking the insides of the scope loose. I also have Nikon binocs and they are not good.

I have not tried the Bushnell elite, but I know someone who has one and he likes it quite a bit.

No matter what you buy, make sure the warranty is good.

Quote:

It still bugs me that I flinch as much as I do. I think going to a range and just getting additional practice would really help.

Here is a tip I picked up from The Assassin. "Pretend you are running (walking, sitting, whatever) along side of him. Then Slowly squeeze the tigger..."

Don't think about the gun going off or when it will go off. Just think about the object in the cross-hair and just squeeze the trigger. By the time your brain gets back to anticipating the shot, the shot is long gone and the bull has been hit. That is why I like smooth, crisp triggers.

Quote:

Quote:

Here is a tip I picked up from The Assassin. "Pretend you are running (walking, sitting, whatever) along side of him. Then Slowly squeeze the tigger..."

Don't think about the gun going off or when it will go off. Just think about the object in the cross-hair and just squeeze the trigger. By the time your brain gets back to anticipating the shot, the shot is long gone and the bull has been hit. That is why I like smooth, crisp triggers.

Yeah, a poor trigger gives you a lot of time to consider what's coming at the end and makes it darn hard to keep the crosshairs in the 10-ring.