Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
High Velocity

running 24v on 12

5 posts in this topic

Want to get a transom mount for the fishing boat but also need a small one for the duck boat. Can I get a 24v and run it on 12v without messing something up other than a loss of power on 12v? Will the loss be 1/2 or more?

why don't you just geta 12 volt?

there are models with 50 lbs + of thrust

Because the boat is prewired to the front battery compartment with a plug-in the transom. I have a 24V wired in series for the bow so I might as well keep it 24v besides the duck boat will only be used 5-6 weekends.

If your question is can you run a 24 volt trolling motor on 12 volts the answer is you shouldnt. The reason is that using a 12 volt supply your current doubles and the wiring is not rated for twice the current. That is why 24 volt systems have thinner wires then a 12 volt motor.

Quote:

The reason is that using a 12 volt supply your current doubles and the wiring is not rated for twice the current.

Not true unless you rewire the motor windings. Without changing the wiring in the motor and just hooking a 24v motor up to 12v will result in loss of power. The motor will probably run slow if at all and have little power output.

Bob

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Ok so every year Try to get the guys from work on a fishing trip. Trying to decide on where to go we usually rent a cabin and run portables.

I am thinking Devils lake, LOW, or Red

Devils we would do the lodge ice house package because the deal is too good to mess with bringing a trailer and sled or wheelers with.

what would you choose and any other suggestions Leech or Vermillion?

• I plan on taking all my ice fishing equipment out of my shed this week I cant wait

• fins_n'_feathers

Posted

any  reports from today? we pounded through the washing machine waves all day and got nothing! Lead core,jigging, spinners haha! Ended up getting all our keepers within a mile of home when it was all over! Who else was out there? Am I the only one that did poor today?

• proguide

Posted

Cool nights and only a few warming hours each day have water temps coming down into the 50s this week.  This is actually pretty normal for the last week of September so there is nothing to odd here. 

The catfish have slowed down over the past few days with this cool off.  They are still around to catch.  They are hanging near structure, usually on the drop off to the channel right next to it.  They are also on the softer side of the current in holes.  It seems that longer sit times are in order this week to allow the fish to come out, find and decide to eat the bait.

Sucker seems to be the bait of choice right now.  Frogs just have not been getting any attention.

• leech~~

Posted

26 minutes ago, DANR said:

From the fall Pelican Lakes Association newsletter - DNR Fisheries Update:

You may have heard about the 454 adult cormorantsthat were removed from Gooseberrry Island this May by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Wildlife Services Unit under a permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.  DNR staff looked at the stomach contents of 30 birds. Eleven of those birds had stomach contents including: 38 perch (mostly 4- inchers), 7 spot-tail shiners, 7 bluegills, 6 crappies, 1 rock bass, 1 pike, and zero walleyes.

Thanks for the Update.  Hopefully they shoot 400 more next spring! :):)

• FishinCT

Posted

They were really slow today. I fished hard all day and didn't manage much. Went over tons of fish and they weren't active at all. Should get better as the weekend gets closer...I hope

• gizmoguy

Posted

Go with steel. Contact Isle supply.

• From the fall Pelican Lakes Association newsletter - DNR Fisheries Update:

You may have heard about the 454 adult cormorantsthat were removed from Gooseberrry Island this May by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Wildlife Services Unit under a permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.  DNR staff looked at the stomach contents of 30 birds. Eleven of those birds had stomach contents including: 38 perch (mostly 4- inchers), 7 spot-tail shiners, 7 bluegills, 6 crappies, 1 rock bass, 1 pike, and zero walleyes. 

• Hello Friends:

Looking for some help as I've been up here since yesterday morning and only two 22" walleyes. I've fished fairly hard (5 or 6 hours) and tried all of my normal spots in Frazer/Smarts/Narrows area using all presentations with minnows and crawlers. Would love to have a walleye dinner (couple of 15's) for my black lab and I tomorrow night and any suggestions would be welcomed.

I'm not looking for spots, but general depth and bait.

Thanks guys

Andy

• delcecchi

Posted

It is great.  I don't know if they are still doing grumpy gary chicken this time of year but it is good.  They have specials on various nights, at least in summer.  

• ZachD
      Ok so every year Try to get the guys from work on a fishing trip. Trying to decide on where to go we usually rent a cabin and run portables. I am thinking Devils lake, LOW, or Red Devils we would do the lodge ice house package because the deal is too good to mess with bringing a trailer and sled or wheelers with.   what would you choose and any other suggestions Leech or Vermillion?
    • ZachD
      I plan on taking all my ice fishing equipment out of my shed this week I cant wait
    • fins_n'_feathers
      any  reports from today? we pounded through the washing machine waves all day and got nothing! Lead core,jigging, spinners haha! Ended up getting all our keepers within a mile of home when it was all over! Who else was out there? Am I the only one that did poor today?
    • proguide
      Cool nights and only a few warming hours each day have water temps coming down into the 50s this week.  This is actually pretty normal for the last week of September so there is nothing to odd here. 
        The catfish have slowed down over the past few days with this cool off.  They are still around to catch.  They are hanging near structure, usually on the drop off to the channel right next to it.  They are also on the softer side of the current in holes.  It seems that longer sit times are in order this week to allow the fish to come out, find and decide to eat the bait.
        Sucker seems to be the bait of choice right now.  Frogs just have not been getting any attention.
    • leech~~
      Thanks for the Update.  Hopefully they shoot 400 more next spring!