• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Same Stuff / Different Day (11/09/06) (several pics included)

Today we found things quite differently than the day before. Our hot rocky shoreline was ice cold and the free-lining gig produced nearly zilch. Today, the fish were relating to deep wood. We found most of our fish about 3-4 foot below the surface overtop deeper wood.

I truly though yesterday’s catch was unbeatable, but proved that wrong about half way through the day. Today the fish were aggressive. Many times the bobber wouldn’t even have a chance to standup before it was gone. Today produced many more fish and the fish were larger in size.

1.75” Culprit Paddletails under a Thill/Lindy Mini-Stealth float was the ticket. 1/32 or 1/16oz collarless jig heads with a #2 or #4 hook. I started fishing with darker more natural colors, but when the bite slowed, a drastic color change triggered more fish to bite.

Somewhere around 30 crappies made it to the boat today with an average size over 11” At least 2 were over 12.25”

12.25" Crappie

ty_crappie1.jpg

This one’s over a foot (stretches up my arm several inches)

crappie.jpg

Maybe 20 gills were caught with an average size 8.25” or so. 2 were over 9 with the largest going 9.5”

9.5"er

ty_gill2.jpg

A handful of smallies and a few largies also made it to the boat today. One smallie went a strong 18”. We also caught several white bass with about 4 of them going 14”. Largies and smallies were taken right next to the shoreline.

tom_smallie1.jpg

When the water is cold like this, save yourself some bait money and just bring the plastics.

awsome report and pics, very nice looking crappies cant wait to start chasing them on the ice that is hopefully coming soon,nice to see crappietom's still got a rod in his hand too! smile.gif