Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
kc0myy

Mallards are making me mad!!!!

kc0myy

Okay I found out where the mallards are resting and feeding. I set up in the same place were I have seen them land and feed. I don't really care if they decoy and land I just want to pass shoot them. Now when ever I set up and hunt there they land in a different part of the feild every time no matter what. I don't know what to do anymore. confused.gif HELP PLEASE

Flash

Robo Duck?

BigWadeS

22 long range with a scope? just kidding..are you still putting out decoys? If so have you noticed how the conditions where when they were landing there compared to condiditions now? If you are not setting up decoys and just hiding from them can they see you move where you are?

Fish'n guy

SPinning wings are the way to go if you want them on top of you! Otherwise they will land outside the spread!!

tealitup

I have 4 robos if you want some company.

BeerHunter

Robo Ducks are the only way to go. THe more the Better. You wont just have the ducks that were coming to the field in your decoys you will have all the ducks in sight in your decoys.

THe only way to fly

Robo's can help but numbers of decoys can be more important. You cant expect larger flocks to land in/near a small decoy spread. Get 100+ decoys out there and the birds will come in most of the time without even thinking about it(no circling).

airdriver

Numbers can be very important. I have been hunting big water all season. Lately, I haven't been able to get anything to decoy in. I have been using 55 to 114 deeks, with a few spinners. I finally got the ducks to decoy in using one spinner and 12 deeks. If one set up isn't working, try going the other direction (big to small, small to big, no spinners, or using spinners) you'll quickly figure out what's and what's not. Just try and stay flexable.

Ray Esboldt

Guys, call me old school, but I don't think spinning wing decoys are a magical solution (some of you may agree). I do think they have their place and time, but I really think location is the first thing you ought to consider. Proper decoy placement and calling (or not) can go along way as well.

Some of things I consider about location on any given morning (and these are "No-Duh" items for guys that have been doing it for a while). First, where's the wind coming from? Ideally I want it at my back; however a wind quartering from behind is acceptable as well. Cross winds are a "I didn't have a choice" option. Wind in the face is for pass shooting only. Second, do the birds have enough room to swing behind me if they insist on it. Trees, powerlines, and small potholes behind a guy make for a hard sell on wary ducks. A point with good cover really helps out. Third, is there a reason a duck would fly to my location. If I'm hunting dabblers, I want some submerged vegetation where my decoys are and in the decoy pocket. If I'm hunting divers, I prefer a natural funnel created by points or some other terrain feature. I also like a calm water spot in the pocket. Finally, if I wasn't the first guy out, I do a little quick analysis on how the other party will affect my hunt. And, if they do a sloppy job, I can play their weakness to my benefit (better decoy set, better calling or less calling, etc.)

I've hunted over spinning wings and have good results and poor results. Field hunting seems to benefit more than on water in my experiences with them. But, I know of many times in the last few years (last weekend being the most recent) that my group has outgunned the spinning wing crowd. You really need to be where the ducks want to be.

jimbo80

Quote:

Guys, call me old school, but I don't think spinning wing decoys are a magical solution (some of you may agree). I do think they have their place and time, but I really think location is the first thing you ought to consider. Proper decoy placement and calling (or not) can go along way as well.

Smart Man! That sums it up!

kc0myy

why would I need new technolgy for my poor hunting skills. I am trying to hunt the old school way. With a good duck call and decoys. I just got an air lucky duck. its like a robo duck but it only works on wind. There I am not using a motor to power the wings. I am sorry I just don't like the robo ducks the air lucky yes.

Sartell Angler

very good points made Ray. I oftentimes will leave the robo in the boat because it basically eliminates any chances you have to bag a goose. Can be a pain to constantly take it down everytime you hear / see a goose also.

The exception to this rule is when you are field hunting. In that situation, I think that the more robos the better. Yesterday we shot 10 mallards and drake pinner in the field and they were absolutely bombing when we put out the robos. Gotta love it!!!

Level3

Something else to think about: If you have scouted some mallards, watch what they are doing. Are they spread out or sitting tight? If they are loafing, they'll be spread out and set your spread accordingly. If they are feeding or its cold, they'll be close together, and you might want some of your dekes fairly close together and add some butts. Robos will work sometimes, but hinder you at others, but do what the birds were doing when you saw them.

Second, if they aren't coming in, think about your concealment. If they see you or something gives them the idea that danger is in the area, they'll lands some where else. Just my thoughts