• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cord of wood prices

Sergeant Slabber

Question

Just wondering what a cord of wood goes for these days. Not oak or maple, but more like elm. How much do you think a truck bed of that should cost?

20 answers to this question

Not sure if they let you sell Elm these days. The Dutch Elm disease beetles -- the probable reason the tree was cut down -- still live in the wood pile and can devastate an area pretty quickly when transported.

according to minnesota law, elm can be used for firewood, but before transportation it must be completely debarked. Or if not planning on transporting it must be completely debarked, or completely covered with a tarp.

A cord of wook measures 4'X4'X8". The best you can maybe get in a pickup would be a 4'X8'X16" stacked pile, which is 1/3 the size of a cord. Keep that in mind when you are pricing wood.

I'm running a 4'x8'x16" delivered and stacked for $130.

A full cord of wood - 4'x4'x8' delivered and stacked for $350.

It's all oak, cut and split.

Also, you can get 1/2 cord in a 6' truck bed, but it's got to be stacked very tight, and heaped in the middle. You cannot just throw it in and get that much.

I don't know about the elm, I don't run into it alot.

Anything that I can find for $80-140 for a full cord (4'x4'x8') I'll buy and turn it next year.

If you're finding wood for $100 for a FULL cord, not a 1/3 of a cord, you're doing good. Even at $150 if it's decent wood.

I know of many guys that are charging much more than I am as well, some that are charging less.

I have been getting a full size pick-up truck load stacked pretty high for $85.

Thanks guys! I cut down quite a few trees in my yard last spring and had split most of the wood. Its had a year and a half to dry so now I'm looking to get rid of it. I just needed some ideas on price.

A cord of wood in Ct is about $185 - $200.00 cut, split, and delivered. We can put about 3/4 cord of wood on my buddies truck , big old Ford.. My Ranger I figured 4 loads would equal a cord. I really don't like to overload my truck, though.. It's all heavy maple, and some hickory mixed in there, last year..

This year? Somehow I have a herniated disc, so wood cutting is out for me frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

$350.00 !!! Yikes!! How much is heating oil in your area? Last time I checked it was about $2.00 / gal here

I cut about 4 cords of Elm 2 years ago, I use it for outside firewood and it still burns smokey. I need to get a good base of coals going then throw it on.

FYI,

Mike

I wouldn't recommend it for indoor use.

LwnmwnMan2,

Do you deliver to the Stillwater area? This is th first year ever I had to buy wood, and paid alot more than you charge for a full cord of split wood.

With 3 little ones running around I just could not get anything cut up this year.

If any one is finding it cheaper than 300.00 please chime in.....

I cut and split my own wood, mostly oak, elm, and maple. I have an chance to get all the popple I want but I don't know. Is this a hardwood good for burning in side?

Biggerfish -

Yeah, I'm in Forest Lake, so pretty much go anywhere.

Like I said before, I know of guys charging up to about $700 / full cord delivered and stacked, but I also know of guys that are selling it for $100 / full cord, and you pick it up.

Popple isn't really that great as far as heating goes.

It'll burn about like.... a rotted piece of ash???

I'll be getting rid of my split and dried elm for $75/truckload if anyone is interested. Price may be negotiable. You pick up.

Quote:

Popple isn't really that great as far as heating goes.

Better known as "Gopher wood" soon as you throw it on the fire "you go fer more"

How can I get in touch with you to have some wood delivered?

I live in Minnetrista near the very west end of Lake Minnetonka.

Thanks!