• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

slug trajectory

snapcrackpop

If your zero at 50 yards (12 ga), what is the approximate range for a slug?

What is it's drop at 75 and 100 yards?

I have only hunted with a rifle (and bow) in the past.

It will really vary depending on what you are using. Rifled, first generation sabots, second generation sabots? Which brand? Smoothbore or rifled barrel? There are a lot of answers to your question, much like rifle /ammo choices.

snap,

check out federal cartridges website federalcartridge.com and look at their ballistics chart. I beleive you can enter in any load you want with the distance you have it sighted in at already and it will compute the drop from that yardage on out .

Mysterio

The published ballistics give one some idea, but I would not put all ones eggs in that basket.

Usually, the factory figures are using test barrels longer than the standard rifle/shotgun which normally gives more velocity than the average person will get.

Thanks for the replys. I checked out the winchester and federal sites. Looks about 3-12 blush.gif inches depending upon loads and zeroed range.

I'll take time tonight to shoot at 75 and 100.

I don't need any excuses for tomorrow smile.gif!

Actually, if you're on at 50 yards, depending on the slug you're using, you may still be on at 100 yards. At 50 yards the slug could be still rising from out of the barrel. Win. Part. Golds 1900 fps., Fed Prem. Sabot 15xx fps. Huge difference! Shoot the slug that patterns best from your gun (which may be a healthy investment in slugs at first). Then, once you know which slug to use, the only way to tell how they perform at various ranges is to shoot at those ranges. Probably no help to you at this point but get out there and shoot some....to me it's the only way to find out. I took the same road you're on when I started slug hunting some 18 years ago, but now I don't have any doubts in the field as to where the slug is going to be hitting..the Mmmmmisses come from my screwup, not the guns. It's fun to slug hunt so have a great time and best of luck.

fishin'

I took the Tru-ball slug and knocked off some velocity because the website does say 30" barrel.

So, by my ballistics program, if you sight 3" high at 50yds you should be about 3" low at 120 yards and about 12" low at 150 yds. Of course, this assumes I knocked off the correct amount of velocity (I dropped it 100 FPS from the published figures).

I don't have a rifled barrel for my benelli or 870 Rem.

Should I shoot my Benelli or 870 with rifled slugs, or my friends Mossberg pump with rifled barrel and sabots?

I've shot sabots from a rifled barrel for many years. I'm seriously questioning whether or not it's really worth it if your shots are in that 100 yd or less range - which probably 95% (or more) of mine have been.

Especially if you go through the exercise to actually find which "pumpkin balls" your gun shoots decently.

Quote:

The rifled barrel and sabots will shoot staighter and more acurate at longer distances.

Perhaps - assuming the friend has sighted in well, chosen the sabots that shoot well for the gun, and the shooter is using the same sabots, etc.

I've seen rifled barrel shotguns that don't shoot much better than some smoothbores do.

The friend has been using the gun reciently for deer. We checked a couple of shots at 50 yards, about 2" high.

I could use his stuff...

I think you just answered your own question. Use the same ammo he did and you should be fine, especially the day before you plan to hunt.

The rifled barrel will give you your best odds for good accuaracy.

Depends a bit on the sabots, but if they are the 1900-2000FPS sabots, then +2" at 50yd puts you about +3" at 85yd, dead on at about 145yd, -3" at 170 yd, and about -12" at 215 yd.

This is modeled on the Win Partition Gold (rated 1900 FPS) knocked back to 1800 FPS.

After hunting season I plan to actually chrony some of these loads to see what happens from a "real" gun rather than those test barrels. Mine is an 870 with 24" rifled barrel.

Whoareu99 - if you do, I would be very interested in what you find out. Please share. I shoot the SST's and they shoot a little flatter than the PG's. It is also only a 300 grain bullet. A 150 yard zero is only a -6.7 inch drop at 200.